Searching for the Bevan family (General)

by unknown, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 00:02 (4515 days ago)

My Grandparents Harold Bevan and Lillian Mildred (nee)Pritchard lived in the Lydbrook area certainly during the 40's and 50's, granddad dying in about 1955. He had been a miner. My grandmother went on to live until 1991, a ripe old age.
They had five children, Kenneth, Terence, Wilfred, Shirley and Roger. Granddad Bevan had been married before. They lived on the Tram (Dram) Road and I remember the house until 1964. Granny latterly lived in Joys Green.
My mother married Ken.

Does anyone have any more information ? There is not much on the Bevans in the Forest. I think most of the ancestry is from South Wales. I would be keen to know if I am from the same line as Aneurin Bevan, the MP and Minister for Health

Searching for the Bevan family

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 01:25 (4515 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum and this great website. Curiously enough my father's mother also spent her last years in Joys Green, she was a Jones from Lydbrook. I'm a little surprised you say there's not much information available about the Forest Bevans, I'd have thought the opposite as I'd guess it quite a common name. Did you know this site's huge database of Parish Records is freely and easily searchable ?. There are 26 "Bevan" PRs for Lydbrook Church alone back to 1850 or so, and probably many more listed in the surrounding/earlier parishes too such as Ruardean, Newland etc, plus the Non Conformist Chapels etc. Thanks for helpfully supplying plenty of helpful names etc.

The great Nye Bevan was born 15 November 1897 in Tredegar, Monmouthshire on the northern edge of the South Wales coalfield and not too far from Dean, the son of miner David Bevan and Phoebe née Prothero, a seamstress.

Using the excellent FreeBMD website I've found your grandparent's marriage;

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Dec 1932 (>99%)
Bevan Harry Pritchard Ross 6a 1084
Pritchard Mildred L Bevan Ross 6a 1084

ie Marriage of Harry BEVAN & Mildred L PRITCHARD was registered at Ross On Wye in the Quarter upto Dec 1932.

As you can see the Ross district included the area just across the Wye from Lydbrook such as Welsh Bicknor.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/ross.html

I think this is Harry's Death;

Surname Given Name Age District Volume Page Transcriber
Deaths Mar 1955
BEVAN Harry 58 F.of Dean 7b 526 jwaller

NB The FoDean District was created in 1937 and "inherited" Parishes such as Lydbrook, Bicknor, Newland etc from what had been Monmouth District, ie he hadn't necessarily physically moved location himself.

If aged 58 in 1955 this suggests he was born about 1897, suggesting his Birth (from FreeBMD again) to be;

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcriber
Births Mar 1897
Bevan Harry Monmouth 11a 21 mardi

ie registered in Monmouth District in the Quarter upto March 1897.
As you can see this large area covers Lydbrook (Newland) etc.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/monmouth.html

Assuming his previous marriage was after he became 18 years old, searching FreeBMD for Harry Bevan (not Harold) gives 12 possibles before 1931. Almost all of these are in adjoining South Wales/Midlands districts, but IF he was married in Monmouth District then this is it;
Surname Given Name Spouse District Volume Page Transcriber
Marriages Jun 1919
Bevan Harry Oldland Monmouth 11a 99 Maggiemay

The wife from this record was Dorothy OLDLAND.
I cannot find a corresponding Death for Dorothy, but this may be because the FreeBMD site is still workinprogress in some localities so some PRs will be missing, or perhaps they just separated...

The ONLY Births I can find registered on the whole FreeBMD site for "Bevan/Oldland" are;
Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Dec 1921 (>99%)
Bevan Cyril Oldland Westbury S. 6a 507
Births Dec 1922 (>99%)
Bevan Beryl Oldland Westbury S. 6a 433
Births Mar 1925 (>99%)
BEVAN Bryan Oldland Westbury S. 6a 421

These look like one family group and are all registered in Westbury On Severn district, ie the Forest of Dean !
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/westbury%20on%20severn.html

I do hope these names and dates seem reasonable to you, can you confirm any of them at all ?.

By coincidence Harry shares the same birthyear as Nye Bevan, although Tredegar was in the Bedwelty District of Monmouthshire suggesting that they are not "close" relatives, if at all... http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/bedwelty.html

Using the above method and www.freeBMD you can also trace your grandmother's line if you wish. http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
However be warned the site is harder to track before 1912 as the Spouse's maiden surname wasn't directly recorded. You can also their children's Records of course.
So far unfortunately I haven't found any of those records on this FoDFH site, or GlosBMD or GlosArchives.

Just for fun, using FreeBMD searching Paul & then Ken Bevan from around 1950 until 1964, I find;

Surname Given Name Mother District Volume Page Transcriber
Births Sep 1957
BEVAN Paul JENKINS F.of Dean 7b 575 BabzM

Giving (from GlosBMD site) http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx

BEVAN Kenneth Gordon marries JENKINS Mary, Forest of Dean District, Forest of Dean Register Office, 1956.

Hopefully this "best guess" is correct ?. Obviously there are more possible dates and spouse's names, there were several Ken Bevans in the area in those days. More importantly I hope this has all helped while also showing you how easy and satisfying it can be researching your tree and at no cost. Just as much fun as crosswords and more useful too.

Good luck finding the rest of our tree, its a great shame your family don't seem to be within this site's PRs, or at least not in recent generations.

We now need access to one of the subscription websites, or the 1901/1911 Census's, to confidently determine Harry's parents.
Please can another forum kindly member help, thanks ?? Alternatively Paul you can access the Ancestry subs site for free in your local Library.

by unknown, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 15:27 (4488 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff

Thanks alot for your research . You were spot on with with my Grandad Harry's first marriage because the names of the children are correct, I knew two of them when I was younger. The eldest Bryan moved to Glasgow in the 40's or 50's.

By the way, I have been in Scotland since 1964. The record of my parents' marriage was correct too, my mother was Mary Jenkins of Stirling, Scotland. They married in the R.C. church in Coleford.

Searching the local library in the Forest shall be difficult but I shall contact one or more of the libraries. I shall also keep searching the PR's for my Great grandparents, marriage,baptismal records etc.

I'm coming down for a week, the week before Easter and shall be doing some research, can't wait to see places again and make new discoveries.

Interested too in which mine(s) GraNDAD Harry worked in , have found many of the mining records very useful but can't find him.

Thanks again

Paul Bevan

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 20:30 (4488 days ago) @ unknown

You're most welcome Paul, thanks for taking the time to come online to update things. From your continued research do you now have a better idea where your grandfather lived while a miner, that will give some clues as to which mine he was at ?. There have been a few posts lately asking about employment records for the mines for the C20th, but sadly I've not seen any replies to suggest there are existing records.
My grandfather was a coal miner born 1897 in the Pludds, Lydbrook. He lived in the area all his life but died aged 68 when I was just a toddler. His most likely mine in Lydbrook area is Arthur & Edward aka Waterloo. However thats not certain as in his days miners would commonly walk 5miles or more each way to work.

I suggest you search this forum for threads that may help you.
Examples might be these which include several mine-related weblinks etc, including maps showing the mines, the first link is a Lydbrook mines thread:

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=35220

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=35524

I do hope this helps. Unfortunately for both of us, it's actually often easier to research our ancestors from the 1800s than it is those from the late 1900s, due to confidentiality rules. What a shame we didn't start our research when we had older relatives to ask, which is what all the text books recommend...ah well.

Finally, Paul, as said before to research PRs from beyond the Forest you'll probably need access to one of the big subscription websites such as Ancestry. This is particularly usefull as will give the Census Returns showing how the family groups interact. In England you can get free access via dedicated terminals in public libraries, I don't know if that's the case abroad... if you do try this in my experience the site can be very slow, I suspect dictated by the library's own server speeds, plus the number of users accessing the site worlwide especially in the US where the site is based. For these reasons if using the library I recommend trying to do so at a "quiet" time, eg a weekday morning, not a weekend evening when the Americans are also getting on line.

OR, try the Latterday Saints website. Not so convenient/easy but they do give free access to the census returns. (The most recent census we can see is 1911 due to the 100 years confidentiality rule). See this thread for some hints.
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=35296

Hope this helps !.
(well done for doing some research yourself, I think far more satisfying and enjoyable that way).
Good luck Jeff.

ps did you enjoy the rugby today, not a bad match and nice to beat the Scots away for a change, or are you now a Scot ?!

PPS BAsed on the belief Harry was born in 1897, I've just had a quick look at the Latterday Saints site. Even allowing for possible transcription errors (it did and does happen!), the most likely 1901 Census Record is:

England and Wales Census, 1901 for Harry Bevan
Name: Harry Bevan
Event: Census
Event Date: 31 Mar 1901
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Birthplace: Cinderford, Gloucestershire
Record Type: Household
Registration District: Westbury On Severn
Sub-district: East Dean
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Stephen
Civil Parish: East Dean
County: Gloucestershire

In other words this appears the same record as the Beran household Slowhands unearthed on his earlier post. Odd how in this case LDS has a correct name transcription, it's this sites the books say is error prone !
By coincidence I was born Cinderford and my mother still attends St Stephens as we did as children, my sisters were married there.

Sometimes the LDS site quotes complete households on one handy page, if I cheat and look for Slowhands' suggested father Oliver Bevan b1863... I do find him but sadly no complete household, although clearly it's the same family group:

England and Wales Census, 1901 for Oliver Bevan
Name: Oliver Bevan
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Birthplace: Cinderford, Gloucestershire

AND his wife, as found by Slowhands:

England and Wales Census, 1901 for Myra Bevan
Name: Myra Bevan
Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
Birthplace: Abertillery, Monmouthshire

IMPORTANT NOTE !
When searching the LDS site, I strongly suggest to input just the name, and then the birth year (use filters to the nearest decade). Then only select the likely "Census" under "Collections". Don't use the BMD fields. Avoid using the place fields, sometimes it confuses England with UK, for example.
(If you enter too much data, even if correct, the search engine often falls over and ignores hits it should find !).

It then displays a list of possibles, including spelling variations. Many of these will be listed under foreign, usually US, Censuses. Ignore those and select the England etc ones. Hopefully you'll find the same target person listed more than once, for different Censuses. You may also find relatives by accident.

Good luck !

Harry BEVAN 1897 Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 07:53 (4515 days ago) @ unknown

Year: 1947
Month: Nov
Day: 12
Surname: BEVAN
Forenames: Myra
Residence: 83 Woodside St[reet] Cinderford
Age_at_death: 84 Y[ears]
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes: Entry followed by 480 and Cin / FoD
Register_Reference: PA 85/3
Page_No:
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford Baptist

Year: 1939
Month: Mar
Day: 8
Surname: BEVAN
Forenames: Oliver
Residence: 83 Woodside St[reet] Cinderford
Age_at_death: 82 Y[ears]
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes: Entry followed by 240 and Cin / FoD
Register_Reference: PA 85/3
Page_No:
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford Baptist

BEVAN Harry
OLDLAND Dorothy
Forest of Dean Monmouth Register Office 1919 26 163

1911 { what a transcription to track down !}
REVAN OLIVER M 1857 54 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
REVAN MYRA F 1864 47 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
GRIFFITHS ARTHUR M 1890 21 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
GRIFFITHS DOROTHY IRENE F 1910 1 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
GRIFFITHS HARRY C M 1897 14 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
GRIFFITHS LILY E F 1900 11 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
GRIFFITHS PERCY R M 1902 9 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire

1901 Woodside Rd Cinderford
Oliver Beran abt 1863 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Myra Beran abt 1864 Abertillery, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Albert Griffiths abt 1884 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Stepson East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur Griffiths abt 1890 Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales Stepson East Dean, Gloucestershire
Harry Beran abt 1897 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Lilian E Beran abt 1900 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

Name: Myra Griffiths
Name: Oliver Bevan
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1895
Registration district: Westbury on Severn
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 512

BEVAN Oliver
GRIFFITHS Myra
Forest of Dean Westbury-on-Severn (FoD) Register Office
1895 10 165

BEVAN Oliver
MILLS Myra Forest of Dean Westbury-on-Severn (FoD) Register Office
1895 10 165

Thomas Bevan abt 1846 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Bevan abt 1853 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Oliver J Bevan abt 1880 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emily Bevan abt 1883 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Rose Bevan abt 1884 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
William Bevan abt 1886 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Florence Bevan abt 1888 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Edward Bevan abt 1889 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
George Bevan abt 1890 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Oliver Bevan abt 1856 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Brother East Dean, Gloucestershire

Mary Bevan abt 1817 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Oliver Bevan abt 1857 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Florence E. Bevan abt 1858 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire

William Bevan 55
Mary Bevan 54
Thomas Bevan 28
James Bevan 16
Oliver Bevan 13
Florence Bevan 13
John James 25

William Beaver abt 1815 Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary Beaver abt 1818 Westend, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Thomas Beaver abt 1841 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
John Beaver abt 1844 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Susannah Beaver abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emely Beaver abt 1849 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Alice Beaver abt 1851 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Janes Beaver abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Florence Edith Beaver abt 1857 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Oliver Beaver abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire

Year: 1857
Month: Sep
Day: 27
Parents_Surname: BEVAN
Child_Forenames: James and Oliver
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Mary
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Woodside
Officiating_Minister: J G Smythies
Event: Baptism
Memoranda: Sons of
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85 IN 1/1
Page_Number: 91
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

William BEVAN 1815ish Thornbury -> Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 08:18 (4515 days ago) @ slowhands

William Beaver abt 1815 Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary Beaver abt 1818 Westend, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Thomas Beaver abt 1841 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
John Beaver abt 1844 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Susannah Beaver abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emely Beaver abt 1849 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Alice Beaver abt 1851 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Janes Beaver abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Florence Edith Beaver abt 1857 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Oliver Beaver abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire

Wells Bewan abt 1813 Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary Bewan abt 1816 Wickwar, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Mary A Bewan abt 1837 Houleton, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Eliza Bewan abt 1839 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Thomas Bewan abt 1842 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
John Bewan abt 1844 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Susannah Bewan abt 1846 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Emily Bewan abt 1848 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
N K Bewan abt 1851 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

1841 Littledean Woodside
William Bevan abt 1801 Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Mary Bevan abt 1816 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Mary Bevan abt 1836 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Elisa Bevan abt 1839 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Thomas Bevan abt 1840 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire

Possible ?

NAME:William Bevan
BAPTISED:27 Sep 1812 at Thornbury
BORN:5 Jul 1812
FATHER:James (Jnr)
MOTHER:Ann

--

Harry BEVAN 1911 census (BEVAN/COOK)

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 08:26 (4515 days ago) @ slowhands

Here's the full 1911 census

signed by: Myra BEAVEN
Woodside Street

living in 4 rooms

Oliver BEVAN - married 15 years, 4 children born alive - none dead, Coal Miner, born Cinderford
Myra - 47 - born Abertillery
Arthur GRIFFITHS, stepson, 21 - single Coal Miner, born Hidwelty, Wales
Harry O BEVAN - 14 single, Apprentice to the General Engineering, born Cinderford
Lily E BEVAN - 11 - School - born Cinderford
Verey? R BEVAN - 9 born Cinderford
Dorothy Irene BEVAN - 1 - born Cinderford

children of William and Mary BEVAN - mother's maiden name COOK

Church of Latter Day Saints

Marriage at St James, Bristol, Gloucester

6 April1836

William BEVAN and Mary COOK

---

Church of Latter Day Saints - christening at Thornbury - 27 September 1812

William BEVAN, parents James & Ann

---

---

Wickwar Holy Trinity

Mary COOK, christened 5 May 1816, parents Thomas (Farmer) and Susanna

Myra GRIFFITHS (nee MILLS) 1864 Abertillery

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 08:53 (4515 days ago) @ slowhands

1901 Woodside Rd Cinderford
Oliver Beran abt 1863 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Myra Beran abt 1864 Abertillery, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Albert Griffiths abt 1884 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Stepson East Dean, Gloucestershire
Arthur Griffiths abt 1890 Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales Stepson East Dean, Gloucestershire
Harry Beran abt 1897 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Lilian E Beran abt 1900 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire

Isaac Griffiths abt 1855 Neath, Glamorgan, Wales Head St Mary, Carmarthenshire
Myra Griffiths abt 1864 Abertetory, Monmouthshire, Wales Wife St Mary, Carmarthenshire
W A Griffiths abt 1884 Cenderford, Gloucestershire, England Son St Mary, Carmarthenshire
A E Griffiths abt 1885 Cenderford, Gloucestershire, England Son St Mary, Carmarthenshire
A W Griffiths abt 1890 Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales Son St Mary, Carmarthenshire

Name: Isaac Griffiths
Name: Myra Mills
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1882
Registration district: Westbury on Severn
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 473

GRIFFITHS Isaac
MILLS Myra Forest of Dean Westbury-on-Severn (FoD) Register Office
1882 7 80

Edn. Mills abt 1832 Pontyprin, Wales Head Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Sarah Mills abt 1842 Albertillery (CNS), Wales Wife Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Lizzie Mills abt 1861 Albertillery (CNS), Wales Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Myra Mills abt 1864 Albertillery (CNS), Wales Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Sarah A. Mills abt 1871 Kidywelly, Wales Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Harriet Mills abt 1873 Kidywelly, Wales Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Caroline Mills abt 1876 Kidywelly, Wales Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire
Adeline Mills Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn - East Dean, Gloucestershire

1871 Kidwelly
Edwin Mills 36
Sarah Mills 30
Elizabeth Mills 11
Myra Mills 8
Harriet Mills 5
Martha Mills 3
Sarah A Mills 1

--

James & Ann BEVAN (Thornbury) + LIPPIATT

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, January 08, 2012, 09:03 (4515 days ago) @ slowhands

BEVAN family tree on this website - with all the information.

http://members.tripod.com/franklee_1/index.htm

12th surname down the list

also google

James BEVAN of 9 Castle Street Thornbury

it's in the website - Thornbury Roots

http://www.thornburyroots.co.uk/index.htm

-----

William's father James was a Cattle Dealer

Gloucestershire CD - baptisms from 1813 onwards

siblings of William christened at Thornbury St Mary

Mary - 3 April 1814 - James (Dealer) and Ann
Susannah - 8 October 1815
Hester - christened - 28 November 1819, born 27 January 1817
Sarah - 2 September 1819 - cattle dealer
Thomas (tws) - 2 September 1819 - cattle dealer
Caroline - 25 February 1821

then three children of James (Tailor) and Ann

Edwin, Fanny and Emma - 1 July 1827 (see 1841 census)

Gloucestershire Marriage Index

James BEVAN married Ann LIPPIATT - 28 August 1804, Thornbury

- two burials at Thornbury for James & Ann BEVAN (who could be James parents)

Ann - 8 July 1845, age 77
and

James BEVAN - 2 March 1828 age 72 address: Borough

?

1841 Census, Thornbury, High Street

BEVAN

James - 58 Dealer - all born in County
Ann - 56
Edwin - 19
Emma - 16 - Milliners Appr
Fanny - 14 - Corset Maker
William - 12 (there is a William BEVAN, christened 24 Oct - 1830 - Borough, ch Harriett BEVAN) - none for James & Ann as parents) Harriet was their daughter christened in 1809 according to the BEVAN wesbite

1851 Census, Thornbury

transcribed as BUNN

High Street

BEVAN

James - 69 - Dealer, all born Thornbury
Ann - 66
Emma - 25 - Dressmaker
Fanny - 23 - Stay maker
William - Nephew - 20 - Shoemaker Journeyman

Harry BEVAN 1897 Cinderford

by unknown, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 15:32 (4488 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Slowhands

None of these mean anything to me, but thanks for all the info. My Grandad Harry was mid to late 50's when he died and it would have been in the Lydbrook area.
He may have been from Cinderford.

Paul

Harry BEVAN 1897 -1955 English Bicknor/ Lydbrook

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 21:28 (4488 days ago) @ unknown

2nd candidate ... feels like a non-conformist ( or RC ) family

Birth Date: abt 1897
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1955
Age at Death: 58
Registration district: Forest of Dean
Volume: 7b
Page: 526

1911 Lydbrook
BEVAN WILLIAM M 1853 58 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
BEVAN JANE F 1852 59 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
BEVAN ADA F 1891 20 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
BEVAN GEORGE M 1895 16 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
BEVAN SIDNEY M 1876 35 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
BEVAN HARRY M 1897 14 Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire

William Bevan abt 1852 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Jane Bevan abt 1851 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Fred Bevan abt 1872 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Sydney Bevan abt 1876 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Ernest Bevan abt 1880 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Lily Bevan abt 1884 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Daughter English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Wyabert Bevan abt 1886 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Harold Bevan abt 1889 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Ada Bevan abt 1891 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Daughter English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Thomas Bevan abt 1892 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
George Bevan abt 1895 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Henry Bevan abt 1897 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire

Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1897
Registration district: Monmouth
Inferred County: Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 21

William Bevan abt 1852 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Head English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Jane Bevan abt 1850 St Briavials, Gloucestershire, England Wife English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Fredrick Bevan abt 1872 Edenwall, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Richard Bevan abt 1874 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Sidney Bevan abt 1876 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Ernest H Bevan abt 1879 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Phillip Bevan abt 1881 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Lily R Bevan abt 1884 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Wybert Bevan abt 1886 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Harold Bevan abt 1889 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Ada Beavan abt 1890 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Daughter English Bicknor, Gloucestershire

William Bevan abt 1853 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Head English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Pickler Tin Plate Works
Jane Bevan abt 1851 English Bicknor, Gloucestershire, England Wife English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Fred Bevan abt 1872 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Richard Bevan abt 1874 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Sydney Bevan abt 1876 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Frank Bevan abt 1877 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire
Ernest Bevan abt 1879 Lydbrook, Gloucestershire, England Son English Bicknor, Gloucestershire

second marriage ?
Name: William Bevan
Name: Jane Morgan
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1875
Volume Number: 11a
Page Number: 87

first marriage ?
Name: William Bevan
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1872
Volume Number: 11a
Page Number: 39

1871 Ruardean
Thomas Bevan 48
Eliza Bevan 49
Benjamin Bevan 27
Laurea Bevan 26
William Bevan 17
Joseph Bevan 16
Maria Bevan 12
Fredrick Bevan 11
Elizabeth Bevan 9
Finney Bevan 7
Emily Bevan 5

--

by unknown, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 22:55 (4488 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi

Why do you say sounds like a non-conformist (RC)?. Does Westbury on Severn mean that in 1911 they are in Lydbrook but they came from Westbury ? Does look like the Henry in 1901 in English Bicknor could be the same one in Lydbrook in 1911. That would only have been a short distance to move

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, February 04, 2012, 23:08 (4488 days ago) @ unknown

Hi

Why do you say sounds like a non-conformist (RC)?. Does Westbury on Severn mean that in 1911 they are in Lydbrook but they came from Westbury ? Does look like the Henry in 1901 in English Bicknor could be the same one in Lydbrook in 1911. That would only have been a short distance to move

non conformist / RC because I am having no luck finding matching Church of England Parish transcriptions for them.

in 1911 they are in Lydbrook , Westbury is just the census district ( that includes part/ all of Lydbrook)

English Bicknor / Lydbrook are often interchangeable, depending if its the parish that is being quoted etc..

Henry 1901 is a transcription/ recording issue, it is Harry 99% sure, another son is Harold; Harry is confusingly a short form for Henry :-)

So on the whole I'm now confident this is your branch

--

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 03:22 (4487 days ago) @ slowhands

Paul,
as Slowhands says don't worry about the apparent changes of areas, it doesnt mean people are moving, just the official boundaries are. Over time and as the population of the Forest quickly grew and more churches etc were built, especially during the 1800s, so the official Districts changed as used during Census's. Lydbrook grew especially quickly as the iron industry tookoff. Before this expansion Lydbrook didn't have a Church until 1851, locals had worshipped or were buried at Ruardean or Bicknor including across the Wye in Wales. 1851 was when Lydbrook Parish was created, taking parts of Newland, English Bicknor, Ruardean.

Indeed, occasionally it can appear our Lydbrook area ancestors are Welsh if their BMDs were registered under the Monmouth area hence included within a Wales Census, rather than the "English" Census aka Westbury(on Severn) area which covers the rest of the Forest. Re Westbury, some of my Forest ancestors have been incorrectly transcribed as from Shropshire, as there is a Westbury District there too !. It also doesn't help us being just yards from Herefordshire too; be open-minded before dismissing possible links purely on their apparent "wrong" locality.

The Genuki site is excellent at explaining the various Parish & District names and how they changed with time. Eg note that nearby Ruardean Parish came under Ross District but within Glos County (!?) from 1837 until 1935, then was "moved" into Westbury-O-S district along with Lydbrook, but only til 1937 when they became part of the new Forest of Dean District ! Since 1842 this area was also considered part of the all-encompassing West Dean Parish of Glos, whereas Cinderford etc was East Dean.

SO, when searching Lydbrook area ancestors on the Census Returns, think Monmouth & West Dean, or before that Newland(the oldest local Forest parish).
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/ross.html

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/Parishes.html#index1

From Slowhands' excellent work, assuming Harry's parents are William Bevan born about 1853 & Jane abt 1851, try searching their BMDs.
Unfortunately from a Records viewpoint if they're Nonconformists they won't be within the FoD site's CofE PRs, but they'll still be within the Official Registers in the FreeBMD site.
So searching FreeBMD for a Marriage of William Bevan to Jane, say after 1873 (Will's 20th year) and upto say 1877(when their children arrive). Use the "Monmouth" district filter as they were born in that area:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1875 (>99%)
BEVAN William Monmouth 11a 87

Remember this is a free website & still ongoing, coverage varies over the UK, but for our area it seems complete.

If you click on the blue "Page" hyperlink, this displays all names recorded on that page of the Register book:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAVAN William Monmouth 11a 87
Morgan Jane Monmouth 11a 87
SMITH Elizabeth Monmouth 11a 87
THOMAS Edwin Monmouth 11a 87

Yes it's a little late for their firstborn, but...
The names are NOT displayed in paired order, and there may be more than two names.
IF you buy a Marriage Certificate for William that WILL show his actual wife from these "possibles". At least there's only one Jane listed....

OR, assume Harry's parents' actual Marriage Record is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEAVAN William Monmouth 11a 87
Morgan Jane Monmouth 11a 87

ie registered the 3 months upto & including Dec 1875.
We can check if Jane is correct by using FreeBMD to search her Birth Record:

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcriber
Births Jun 1850
---------------------------------------------------------------
Morgan Jane Monmouth XXVI 110 8910

AND

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcribers
Births Jun 1852
---------------------------------------------------------------
BEVAN William Monmouth 11a 21 rissima
Bevan William Monmouth 11a 21 Birdie

Which fits their Census birthyears.
Similarly we can search their children. Searching "Fred" will find all "Frederick"s etc too, however the only record is( I also searched "Beavan" but no hit):

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcribers
Births Dec 1874
--------------------------------------------------------------
Bevan Fred Monmouth 11a 43 Creswick
Bevan Fred Monmouth 11a 43 JEANNEDOWN

Births Jun 1874 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------------
BEVAN Richard Monmouth 11a 24

[I realise these "actual" dates are odd wrt the Census's but thats not unusual]

Births Mar 1876 (>99%)
BEVAN Sydney Monmouth 11a 28

Births Mar 1877 (>99%)
BEVAN Frank Monmouth 11a 33

AND SO ON............

Occasionally this site makes transcription errors. If you doubt any records you can click the red "info" hyperlink to view a photo of the actual Register Book page.
eg Fred's date looks odd, but checking that the book is clearly showing Dec 1874 (I've seen incorrect transcripts). That said the photo is not of the ORIGINAL register, so...

Now this date is odd wrt the census age & his brother's "birth" just a few months later, has this date has been "adjusted" to suit the parent's Marriage, perhaps.

Anyway, Paul I hope this hasn't been too longwinded and you can finish the family yourself. Yes rather slower than reading Census Returns, but remember these are the Official Registers birthdates not parent's census guestimates.
FreeBMD records only exist from 1837 onwards, so you should be able to find the previous generation with care & a little luck (hopefully less common firstnames).
Also there should be an 1841 Census Record which may even include William & Janes' own elderly parents within the household; that said I didn't see it on the LDS site and I'm sure Slowhands would have looked too.

Thomas BEVAN 1823 English Bicknor/ Lydbrook

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 08:00 (4487 days ago) @ slowhands

Year: 1823
Month: Jun
Day: 1
Child_Forenames: Thomas
Fathers_Forenames: Benjamin
Mothers_Forenames: Jane
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Lidbrook
Officiating_Minister: T Marwood Rector
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P138 in 1/5
Page_Number: 30
Parish_Chapel: English Bicknor

1841 Lidbrook
Benjamin Bivan abt 1781 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire Carpenter
Jane Bivan abt 1786 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire
Benjamin Bivan abt 1821 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire Tinplate worker
Thomas Bivan abt 1826 Gloucestershire, England Dean Forest, Gloucestershire Tinplate worker

Year: 1843
Month: Apr
Day: 30
Grooms_Surname: BEAVAN
Grooms_Forenames: Thomas
Grooms_Age: under age
Groom_Condition: Batchelor
Grooms_Occupation: Laborer
Grooms_Residence: Lydbrook: exparochial
Grooms_Fathers_Surname: Beaven
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames: Benjamin
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation: Carpenter
Brides_Surname: COLE
Brides_Forenames: Eliza
Brides_Age: under age
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation: Servant
Brides_Residence: Lydbrook exparochial
Brides_Fathers_Surname: Cole
Brides_Fathers_Forenames: James
Brides_Fathers_Occupation: Laborer
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns: [not stated]
Signature_or_Mark: both mark
Witness_1: mark of Benjamin Bevan
Witness_2: William Webb
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Arthur Stonhouse Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda:
Notes: Brides name is given as Eliza Cole but Vicar has written Lydia Cole where she marked. Possible confusion with next entry.
Register_Reference: AO19/11
Page_Number: 52
Parish_Chapel: Walford

Year: 1843
Month: Oct
Day: 13
Child_Forenames: Benjamin
Fathers_Forenames: Thomas
Mothers_Forenames: Eliza
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Lydbrook
Officiating_Minister: Edwd.Feild Rector
Memoranda: Sep 18 1843
Notes: birth date in left margin
Register_Reference: P138 in 1/5
Page_Number: 83

Thomas Kevan abt 1825 Lydbrook Head West Dean, Gloucestershire
Eliza Kevan abt 1824 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife West Dean, Gloucestershire
Benjamin Kevan abt 1843 Lydbrook Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Frederick Kevan abt 1846 Lydbrook Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Hannah Kevan abt 1847 Lydbrook Daughter West Dean, Gloucestershire
John Kevan abt 1848 Lydbrook Son West Dean, Gloucestershire
Thomas Kevan abt 1849 Lydbrook Son West Dean, Gloucestershire

Thos Biram abt 1822 West Dean, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Eliza Biram abt 1823 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire
Benjamen Biram abt 1844 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Laweza Biram abt 1845 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Hannah Biram abt 1847 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Thommos Biramabt 1850 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
William Biram abt 1853 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Joseph Biram abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire
Sarah Biram abt 1857 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Maria Biram abt 1858 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean, Gloucestershire
Fredrick Biram abt 1860 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean, Gloucestershire

1871 Ruardean
Thomas Bevan 48
Eliza Bevan 49
Benjamin Bevan 27
Laurea Bevan 26
William Bevan 17
Joseph Bevan 16
Maria Bevan 12
Fredrick Bevan 11
Elizabeth Bevan 9
Finney Bevan 7
Emily Bevan 5

--

Benjamin BEVAN 1779 English Bicknor/ Lydbrook

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 08:11 (4487 days ago) @ slowhands

Year: 1770
Month: Jul
Day: 22
Grooms_Surname: BEAVAN
Grooms_Forenames: Benjamin
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition:
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: living in the fforest an extraparochial place adjo
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: ROSSER
Brides_Forenames: Jane
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition:
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: living in the fforest an extraparochial place adjo
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Date_of_Banns: 1770 Jun 24 Jul 1 8
Signature_or_Mark: He signs she marks
Witness_1: Richard Powell
Witness_2: John Evans
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: Ja[mes Meredith (Rector)
Memoranda:
Notes: She marked but such was not stated. Banns are on page 72 & combined with this entry
Register_Reference: P138 IN 1/6
Page_Number: 26

Year: 1779
Month: Aug
Day: 1
Child_Forenames: Benjamin
Fathers_Forenames: Benjamin
Mothers_Forenames: Jane
Mothers_Surname:
Residence:
Officiating_Minister:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P138 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 29

Year: 1804
Month: Feb
Day: 7
Grooms_Surname: BEVAN
Grooms_Forenames: Benjamin
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition:
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: COOPER
Brides_Forenames: Jane
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition:
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Date_of_Banns: no register found
Signature_or_Mark: Both mark
Witness_1: Sarah Hall
Witness_2: Richard Terrett
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: William Prosser
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P138 IN 1/7
Page_Number: 45

--

Benjamin Bevan 1745

by Liz Bevan @, Thursday, April 11, 2013, 18:36 (4056 days ago) @ slowhands

Benjamin Bevan 1745 m Jane Rosser (1749 - 1820) trying to trace his father believed to be in English Bicknor area any help would be appreciated

Benjamin Bevan 1745

by irm1385 @, Thursday, April 11, 2013, 22:43 (4056 days ago) @ Liz Bevan

His father was Richard Bevan b.1709 d.1771 married to Mary Mudd.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 12:17 (4487 days ago) @ slowhands

Well done (again!) Slowhands,
two marriages within a few years eh ?. I thought Wm & Jane had a lot of children even by the standards of the day, plus of course the contradictory dates, you're a sharp operator !
Thanks for once again letting us see the wood for the trees.

Having just failed dismally looking for Burial Records for Thomas/Eliza c1872-1875, I'm now intrigued as to why the children suddenly got a new set of parents in William & Jane ?.
OR have I misread the situation, or has someone changed name here, OR ??

by forestranger @, west dean, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 01:29 (4487 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Paul,
I,m not as qualified as most of the people on this site, and normally reluctant to comment,as my skills in this work is fairly limited.I have only today had discussions with a relative,and by coincidence the marriage of Harry Bevan and Lilian Pritchard came up.On todays innformation from my Auntie,who is the daughter of Daisy Gertrude Pritchard.I believe your information to be a follows,on the Pritchard side,I would welcome any substantiating evidence ,or corrections from the others on this site who are more qualified than me.
Pritchard family-Florence to Harry LEE,Glady's to william Stearn,Edith to George Morgan,Doris to Albert Phelps,Lilian to Harry Bevan,my own grandmother to Frederick J Phelps.Children to Harry being so far as,Terrence,Wilfred,Shirley,and possibly,stepchildren Bryan and Beryl.this information only recieved today from my Auntie who is Marion born 1927.All info to be verified.
I hope this helps.
Derrick
P.S,I have some other details,if this is any help.

RSS Feed of thread