school time (General)

by william pattern @, Friday, October 19, 2012, 09:29 (4215 days ago)

I wonder if anyone can help? my grandmother Florence Saysum born in 1900 lived at 17 allastone mesne/mense until going in to service around 1916? my question is what school or schools would she have attended at the time in relation to her house?And do they still exist and are records and photos available to view anywhere? thanks to all on this great site

Allastone Lydney schools

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, October 19, 2012, 09:35 (4215 days ago) @ william pattern

Primrose Hill maybe ? http://www.primrosehillprimary.ik.org/p_Home.ikml
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/lydney/pages/page_16.html

EDUCATION.
Dame schools and other small private schools were teaching 142 children in the parish in 1833. Lydney had a church Sunday school by 1818 (fn. 45) and one was being held in part of Aylburton chapel in 1847. A National school, probably supported by Charles Bathurst, (fn. 46) was opened before 1839 in a building at the site of the old furnace at the south-west end of Lydney town. (fn. 47) Bathurst was wholly supporting the school in 1856 when c. 200 children were said to attend. (fn. 48) About 1865, when it was for girls and infants, it had an average attendance of 126 and an income from voluntary contributions and school pence, the Revd. W. H. Bathurst making up a deficiency. (fn. 49)

In 1866 the Revd. W. H. Bathurst gave a site on the north-east side of Church Road and a new church school was built, funded by subscription and a government grant. (fn. 50) In 1885 it had accommodation for 300 and an average attendance of 228, organized in boys', girls', and infants' departments. (fn. 51) The school was enlarged in 1892 and 1899, bringing the accommodation up to 530. (fn. 52) In 1910, called Lydney C. of E. school, it had an average attendance of 263. (fn. 53) From 1919 the older children attended the new senior council school in the town, (fn. 54) and in 1922 Lydney C. of E. school, organized as junior mixed and infants, had an average attendance of 112, falling to 41 by 1938. (fn. 55) It accepted controlled status in 1950. (fn. 56) In 1973 it moved into the former secondary school buildings in Bream Road, (fn. 57) and it had 127 children on its roll in 1990. (fn. 58)
Primrose Hill C. of E. school opened in 1876 in a new building (fn. 59) on the west side of the road at Primrose Hill. In 1885 it had accommodation for 100 children and an average attendance of 80, in mixed and infants' departments. (fn. 60) It was enlarged in 1886, increasing the accommodation to 160. (fn. 61) Average attendance was 129 in 1910, falling to 50 by 1932, when the school was organized as junior mixed and infants. (fn. 62) It accepted controlled status in 1950. (fn. 63) It moved to a new building on the housing estate east of Primrose Hill, opened in 1976, (fn. 64) and had 174 children of primary school age on the roll in 1990. (fn. 65)
Lydney Council school opened in 1906 (fn. 66) in a new building near the entrance of Nass Lane and in 1909 a second building was opened on an adjoining site for its infants' department. (fn. 67) In 1910 the school had accommodation for 328 and an average attendance of 257. After the opening of a senior school at Lydney in 1919 it had junior mixed and infants' departments and the name was changed to Lydney Junior Council school. In 1938 it had an average attendance of 271. (fn. 68)

In 1915 plans for a senior school at Lydney resulted in a new building being put up in Bream Road, but it was used as a hospital for the remainder of the First World War. (fn. 78) In 1919 the building was opened as Lydney Senior Council school and took the older children from the local elementary schools. (fn. 79) In 1922 it had mixed accommodation for 240 and an average attendance of 146. In 1938 the average attendance was 126. (fn. 80) Under the Act of 1944 the school became the Lydney Secondary Modern school (fn. 81) and in 1961 it was divided into separate boys' and girls' secondary schools, the latter in new buildings in Nass Lane. (fn. 82) The schools were closed in 1973 when the boys' school had an attendance of c. 370 and the girls' school c. 350. (fn. 83)

In 1902 a committee was formed to promote secondary education in the Lydney area, and in 1903 it opened a secondary school for boys and girls, supported by fees, in the Lydney Institute building. By 1905 the school had over 100 pupils. The Board of Education granted recognition only on condition that better accommodation was provided, and extensions to the Institute building were completed in 1907, half the cost being provided by the county council and half raised locally. (fn. 84) In 1908 a Board of Education Scheme created a governing body, including six representatives of the county council, to administer the school together with the Lydney Institute and School of Art. The secondary school was to take children aged from 8 to 19; no limit was set on the catchment area but children from Lydney, Aylburton, and Alvington were to have preference if space became limited. (fn. 85) The buildings were extended in the 1930s, and in 1936 the school had 500 pupils, including some who came from places on the other side of the Severn by railway. In 1932 the name was changed from Lydney Secondary school to Lydney Grammar school, (fn. 86) and it remained an assisted grammar school under the Act of 1944. (fn. 87) Attendance was over 500 when the school closed in 1973. (fn. 88)

The Lydney Institute, providing science and art classes, was opened in 1889 in the new town hall at the market place. (fn. 94) Later known as the Lydney Institute and School of Art and Science, it was by 1894 a recognized centre for training elementary school teachers for the district. (fn. 95) A new building for the Institute was opened adjoining the town hall in 1897 and a new science wing was added (fn. 96) in 1902. Under the Scheme of 1908, mentioned above, the Institute was to provide instruction in art, science, commercial subjects, and domestic science for day and evening students. (fn. 97) Art tuition appears to have predominated later. (fn. 98) In the early 1960s, known as the Lydney School of Art and Evening Technical Institute, it prepared students for art examinations and ran evening classes in commercial and domestic subjects. (fn. 99) In 1966 it was amalgamated with the technical college at Cinderford to form the West Gloucestershire College of Further Education; the art department of the new college remained at Lydney for a few years. (fn. 1)

From: 'Lydney', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 46-84. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23251 Date accessed: 19 October 2012.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Florence SAYSOM 1900 prior thread

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, October 19, 2012, 12:59 (4215 days ago) @ slowhands

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=17357

1911 Allastone Mesne
William Saysom 44
Martha Saysom 44
Elizabeth Saysom 14
George Saysom 13
Florence Saysom 10

William Laysom abt 1867 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Head Lydney, Monmouthshire
Martha Laysom abt 1847 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Wife Lydney, Monmouthshire
William Laysom abt 1891 Rydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney, Monmouthshire
Elizabeth Laysom abt 1897 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Lydney, Monmouthshire
George Laysom abt 1898 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney, Monmouthshire
Florence E Laysom abt 1900 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Lydney, Monmouthshire

Year: 1900
Month: Dec
Day: 19
Parents_Surname: SAYSUM
Child_Forenames: Florence Emily
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Martha
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Allaston Mesne Lydney
Officiating_Minister: J.L.Parker Curate
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: 851113
Page_Number: 159
Parish_Chapel: Lydney

Name: Florence Emily Saysom
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1900
Registration district: Chepstow
Inferred County: Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 8

William Saysom abt 1867 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Head Lydney, Gloucestershire
Martha Saysom abt 1867 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Wife Lydney, Gloucestershire
William Saysom abt 1891 Lydney, Gloucestershire, England Son Lydney, Gloucestershire

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Primrose Hill etc school records & registers

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, October 19, 2012, 14:52 (4215 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi again William,
as it seems probable your ancestors attended Primrose Hill School, I would strongly suggest it is well be worth contacting the school (see above website) yourself to ask if they have old registers etc, they may well be able to help you.

I say this as my eldest sister teaches at Coalway Junior School nr Coleford; altho' their school website doesn't obviously mention school history etc, she told me they recently found some school Registers and Teacher's Log books at the back of an old cupboard. She was keen to get them properly documented if not transcribed for public access including the schoolchildren's own projects, before getting the original books into a "proper" public place such as the Dean Heritage museum. In the hope it may benefit this forum etc I'll ask her for more info as to the outcome, altho I strongly suspect she'll report little change as these small schools are always so busy with the "normal" day to day workload that such good intentions can suffer delays.

[UPDATE: She's not certain but she's confident the Registers go right back beyond 1900 or so, all handwritten of course, including entries for punishments such as the cane for "chicken stealing". These books are currently still at the School.]

Finally I know The National Archives often holds old school records via the various County Council records. Carefull & selective use of their search engine will often yield promising results, see this set of hits for "Primrose Hill Lydney", as you can see the national website shows the holdings for/at the Glostershire Archives, pls tell me if the link doesn't work:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/search_results.aspx?Page=1&QueryText=prim...

Hope this helps,
Atb Jeff

Opening of Allastone National School, Lydney, January 1876.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, December 05, 2013, 01:09 (3804 days ago) @ slowhands

While searching "Lydney" within the Welsh Newspapers website I found this article that I hope is of interest.

From the Cardiff Times of 29th January 1876:

"LYDNEY.
NEW NATIONAL SCHOOL AT ALLASTONE MEEND. —
This school, which will form a part of the Lydney parochial schools, and has been built by order of the Committee of Council on Education, to accommodate 100 children, was opened on Monday. The certificated teacher is Miss Badham, who has been highly recommended to the managers by the Principal of the Training College at Cheltenham. It appears that the building has already cost £495, exclusive of furniture, books, maps, &c. Towards defraying this sum £60 was given by the Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Association. The rest has been raised by private voluntary subscriptions, a handsome amount being received as the proceeds of a "garden party." The site was given by the Lord of the Manor, Rev W. H. Bathurst. The school is intended chiefly for infants under the age of 7, but boys and girls up to the age of 10 will be admitted, and a few girls above the age of 10, if space will allow of their admission. The school will shortly be licensed by the Bishop of the Diocese for Divine service on Sundays, and on such other days as will not interfere with its use as a school. There will be a Sunday-school which, however, will be distinct from the week-day school, and attendance at the one will not be required as a condition of the attendance at the other."

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3386917/ART14/lydne

Teacher Miss Badham is mentioned within the 1879 issue of the Kelly's Directory for Lydney, but unfortunately only by surname. The school appears to have grown in the 3 years since opening
"Lydney Church Schools, John Wild, master; Mrs. Tearle, mistress: Miss Badham, infants mistress."
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/index.php/resources/kelly-s-directory-1879/66-lydney-and-...

I've tried searching this site's PRs for Miss Badham, but so far haven't found her for certain, yet. I've not seen this surname before but it's clearly not as rare as I first thought, particularly in the Dymock area !. That said I find
"in 1310 land in the Yorkley area was held by John ap Adam, whose name is presumably preserved in that of Badhamsfield farm."

From: 'Newland', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 195-231.
URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23260 Date accessed: 05 December 2013.

So perhaps there were some Badhams in Lydney ?
This is an interesting site about the BADHAM surname.
http://www.badham.org.uk/web/index.php/about-badham

Lydney Teachers - 1911 census

by m p griffiths @, Friday, October 19, 2012, 11:47 (4215 days ago) @ william pattern

On the 1911 Wales Schedule

Monmouthshire
Lydney
District 10

No. of Schedule 259 : Saysom

No. of Schedule 102, Tuthill Farm,

Miss Neva

and looking at the Census

Dorothea Le Neve Neve - Lodger, 31, Teacher of Domestic Science - Council School

----

1911 census, Monmouthshire, Lydney

11 Bathhurst Park Road, Lydney
Frank DIXON - 39 - Secondary School Teacher (+ his family)

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydney-LGS/Frank-Dixon-1920.htm

1 Mount Pleasant Lydney
Tom OWEN - 28 - School Teacher Asst

53 Church Road Lydney
Alfred PRITCHARD - 40 - School Attendance Officer

11 Church Road, Lydney
John WILD - 57 - Head Teacher, Elementary

(FOD records son Tom WILD married Hilda Penniah LEWIS - Schoolmistress in 1909)

Lydney Teachers - 1911 census

by peteressex @, Friday, October 19, 2012, 15:28 (4215 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Alfred Pritchard of Church Road, shown as aged 40 in the 1911 census, is highly likely to be Alfred Albert Pritchard who was baptised at Lydney on 8 May 1870. His numerous siblings included my great-grandmother Clara Ann Sterrey, as she became. A Lydney directory of 1910 also has A A Pritchard as treasurer of Lydney Brass Band.

The Sterrey or Sterry family included residents of Primrose Hill/Allastone. I imagine if you do manage to get hold of the old registers there will be a fair sprinkling of them.

Lydney Teachers - Albert PRITCHARD/PICK/VICK

by m p griffiths @, Friday, October 19, 2012, 16:40 (4215 days ago) @ peteressex

'Albert Pritchard of Church Road.... is likely to be Alfred Albert PRITCHARD ........ his numerous siblings included my great-grandmother Clara Ann STERREY as she became'

1911 Census, Lydney
53 Church Road

Living in 6 rooms

Albert Alfred PRITCHARD - 40 - married 19 years, two children born alive, two living - born Lydney
Emily A PRITCHARD - 43 - born Lydney
Beatha (Bertha) M PRITCHARD - 17 - daughter - Secondary School
Nora D PRITCHARD - 15 - Secondary School
Algernon LEWIS - 13 - Nephew - born Lydney
William C BUCKNELL - 21 - Clerk (Tin plate works) born Cardiff Cathays

1901 Census, Monmouthshire, Lydney (very badly written census return)

Alfred PRITCHARD, 30 Tinplate Worker & School Attendance Officer, born Lydney
Emily - 33
Flavia PECK (should be PICK) 22 - single -- single Assistant School mistress - born Glos. Sharpmeer (as transcribed)
Christopher PECK ( ditto) - 20 - single - Assistant Schoolmaster - born ditto
Berth PRITCHARD - 7
Nora PRITCHARD - 5

---Flavia & Christopher PICK are on the 1891 Census, Lydney, children of James & Agnes PICK - James was the Principal Coal Officer (all born Berkeley)

----

FOD records

Christopher Augustus PICK married Maria Nora VICK (Schoolmistress - at Lydney 6 October 1910)

1911 Census, Warwickshire, Nuneaton
School House, Stokingford, Nuneaton

Christopher A PICK - 30 - Head Teacher, Borough Council, born Berkeley
M Nora PICK - born Glos. Stroud

by peteressex @, Friday, October 19, 2012, 17:58 (4215 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Thanks, mpg. That strongly tends to confirm it's the same Alfred Pritchard because Algernon Lewis in the excerpt you've provided is probably a boy known in the family as "Buller" Lewis. I've got him and his brother as nephews of Clara who by the time of my grandparents' wedding in 1913 had, I gather, taken them in at 29 Albert Street, Lydney - I think they had been orphaned. The 1911 census for the Albert Street address shows my grandfather as lodger, and his 1913 wedding photo (to Frances Sterrey who doesn't appear to have been at the address on the 1911 census night) has the two Lewis boys in it.

I should certainly be interested to learn where Frances Sterrey was that night. She might have been up Primrose Hill.

The connection between teaching and music isn't surprising. I could give another Lydney example if it were more relevant to this thread regarding Primrose Hill.

STERREY/Rosina Maria LEWIS (+ DOVEY previous thread)

by m p griffiths @, Friday, October 19, 2012, 20:07 (4215 days ago) @ peteressex

'I would certainly be interesed to learn where Frances STERREY was that night'

Here's Frances on the 1911 Census

Herefordshire
29 High Street
Ross

living in 5 rooms

Francis George WALTER - 34, Confectioner, born Bournemouth * Marriage on FOD records
Fanny Emma Maria WALTER - 37 - married 3 years, Assisting in the business, born Ross
Frances STERREY, 23, General Servant, Domestic, born Lydney, Glos.

---

Regarding Algernon LEWIS - baptism on FOD records - 1898 - parents Charles (* buried 5 September 1900 age 30 at Lydney) & Rosina

1901 Census, Mon. Lydney

LEWIS

Rosina - Widow - 29 - all born Lydney (Rosina Maria PRITCHARD - 27 January 1872 - Lydney)
Charlie - 9 )
Ernest - 7 ) these are the two who are with the Sterrey family 1911 census )*
Leonel - 5
Algren - 3
+ 2 lodgers inc.
Frederick DOVEY - 28 - Doupler at Tinplate Works - born Lydbrook - buried at Lydney - 20 January 1905 age 32

* Ernest died WW! & listed on Lydney War Memorial according to message on Rootschat 1908 - from Gt grandaughter of Rosina Maria DOVEY, - gt grandfather being Charles Gilbert LEWIS

---

There is an old message of Rootschat - which states, Rosina Maria LEWIS, nee PRITCHARD - married again to a Frederick DOVEY - briefly.........

The DOVEY boys were Frederick - 1902, William 1903, and Ronald - 1905 - and that Rosina Maria DOVEY died in 1908 from carbolic acid poisoning (suicide not accident)

FOD records: Maria Rosina DOVEY - buried at Lydney - 13 October 1908 age 37

previous threads

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=11515

http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=17316

---

Here is Ronald Frederick John DOVEY - nephew aged 6, born Lydney - living on the 1911 census at

Mon. Llanfrecha Upper

Walter BEESE - 28 - born Monmouthshire
Ethel BEESE - 26, born Redbrook

his brother William DOVEY age 7 - is with his Uncle, William DOVEY (born Lydney) - + family at 4 Gething Terrace, Forge Side, Blaenavon Monmouthshire (1911 census)

----

Rosina DOVEY Inquest on FOD Miscellaneous Documents

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/downloads/Miscellaneous/Rosina_Dovey_Lydney_Inquest_1908.pdf

STERREY/Rosina Maria LEWIS (+ DOVEY previous thread)

by peteressex @, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 08:59 (4213 days ago) @ m p griffiths

Even more thanks, mpg. You've solved the mystery of the missing grandma.

Thanks too for the other info you've linked. I had some of it already but hadn't realised there were four Lewis boys or that one of them was on the war memorial.

Ernest LEWIS

by m p griffiths @, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 09:48 (4213 days ago) @ peteressex

Ancestry

UK Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Ernest LEWIS

Birth Place: Lydney, Glos

Death Date: 16 May 1918

Residence: Lydney

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Gloucester

Regiment: King's (Shropshire Light Infantry)

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 38476

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Comments: Formerly 13576, Glos. Regt

-

War Graves Commission

http://www.cwgc.org/

LEWIS, Ernest Frederick

Service No: 38476

Date of Death: 16/5/1918

Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry 1st Bn.

Grave Reference: III A 27

Cemetary: ARNEKE BRITISH CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of Charles and Rosina LEWIS, of Lydney, Late 8th Bn. Gloucestershire Regiment

Ernest LEWIS

by peteressex @, Sunday, October 21, 2012, 11:21 (4213 days ago) @ m p griffiths

That must be he. Thanks again.

by Ruth P @, Friday, January 03, 2014, 03:13 (3775 days ago) @ peteressex

Algernon aka Algey is not Buller Lewis. Buller's real name was Ernest Lewis he was taken in with his brother my grandfather Charlie Lewis by Clara and her family and the 1911 Census see the two Lewis boys living with Clara and Henry at 29 Albert Road. Both Charlie and Buller are pictured on the Essex Sterry wedding photo.

Algernon was indeed with Alfred Albert and Emily his wife and of course their children at Church Road.

Buller died of his wounds in France in WW1 as recorded on this thread.

Algey went on to marry and lived in Swansea until the 1960s I believe. I don't think they had any children.

by Ruth P @, Sunday, February 21, 2016, 16:06 (2995 days ago) @ peteressex

Just a quick reply, not necessarily to Peter but for anyone else who comes across this thread later on. Algernon isn't Buller. Algernon Lewis is the youngest of the Lewis boys and was born in 1898.

Buller's real name was Ernest Frederick Lewis (born 1894) and he died in the first world War.

The two Lewis boys in the Essex / Sterry wedding photo are my grandfather Charlie Lewis (the eldest son of Charles Lewis and Rosina (Nee Pritchard) and Ernest (Buller). They went to live with Clara after their mother's death.

Their other brother Lionel Lewis went to live with Rosina's brother Samuel and his wife Catharine.

Algernon later moved to Swansea we believe

by peteressex @, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 05:47 (2993 days ago) @ Ruth P

Thanks, Ruth, for the clarification. I have sent an update to sungreen for the already copious notes under the wedding photo.

RSS Feed of thread