Frederick Nathaniel JONES; photographer in Coleford (General)

by MJL @, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 15:19 (4031 days ago)

Hi All,

I am trying to identify a family photograph,I hope it is of Arthur Ruck BRYANT, b 1853 died 1915.

The photographer is F. N. JONES, Gloucester Rd. Coleford.

He is listed in the 1914 Kelly's, but I can't find him in the 1897.

Can anyone tell me how long Frederick Nathaniel Jones worked as a photographer in Coleford.

Regards,
Margaret

Frederick N. Jones died 1931

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 16:27 (4031 days ago) @ MJL

Hi Margaret,
from this site's PRs is his Burial, in Coleford;

Record_ID: 177902
Entry_Number: 3133
Year: 1931
Month: Jun
Day: 9
Surname: JONES
Forenames: Frederick Nathaniel
Residence: Retired Photographer
Age_at_death: 70
Officiating_Minister: Rev[eren]d C H M Fasson
Event: Interment
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: (1) 20 Tufthorn Lane Coleford (2) Section B Child Spaces (3) r & s 27 (4) Consecrated (5)
Notes:
Register_Reference: DA25 / 204 / 30
Page_No: 56
Parish_Chapel: Coleford Cemetery
Soundex: J520

Have you tried searching the Census', particularly 1901 & 1911 ?. Sadly I don't have full access but using Ancestry free search it appears he was born and lived in Lanarkshire, Scotland and was there with wife Fanny M Jones in 1891. By the 1901 Census they've moved down to Yorkshire, in 1911 WALES Census he's in "Monmouthshire" which includes the Coleford area in that Census.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&...

So at a guess he could have been working in Coleford area from abt 1911, if not earlier, up until his retirement at abt 1925 ?.

I wonder if he advertised in the local papers too, that might yield more specific dates ?.

Searching for prior threads I wonder is this is POSSIBLY his son, Frederick Edward Jones, working as a photographer in Cinderford in Kelly's Directory of 1914 ????
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=35499

Also see him mentioned on
http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Can-You-Help/A_Family_in%20_the_Forest.html

and this which suggests he was at Coleford working by 1905.
http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Coleford-Glos/Rising_Generation.html

There's been a Camera Club meeting regularly in the Forest for several years, they may well be able to help.
http://www.forestofdeancameraclub.co.uk/contact
also Monmouth, perhaps
http://www.monphotoclub.org.uk/

Frederick N. Jones died 1931

by MJL @, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 17:30 (4031 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks Jefff,

1905+ is good, I had a problem with 1914 because Arthur was very ill for the last two years of his life and the photo shows a man of 50ish, looking very healthy, so I will tag the photo 'Arthur'.

The photograph 'Rising Generation of the Forest of Dean' is amazing.

Cheers,
Margaret

Frederick N. Jones, Coleford Photographer.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, August 09, 2013, 18:26 (3920 days ago) @ MJL

Browsing the National Archives site for "Coleford" produced these two hits among others. Unfortunately the photos cannot be downloaded but may be of interest to anyone planning a visit to TNA at Kew, they may be viewed and even copied/photographed for no cost.

1. Reference:COPY 1/556/13 Description:
Photograph called 'The Past Generation of the Forest of Dean'.
Copyright owner of work: Frederick Nathaniel Jones, 8 Gloucester Road, Coleford, Glos.
Form completed: 3 April 1911. Registration stamp: 5 April 1911. Date: 1911 Apr 3
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former references: in its original department: Registration No 53932

2. Reference:COPY 1/562/224 Description:
'Photograph of old lady 'Grannie Thomas', age 100 years'.
Copyright owner of work: Frederick Nathaniel Jones, 8 Gloucester Road, Coleford, Glos.
Form completed: 15 November 1911. Registration stamp: 16 November 1911. Date: 1911 Nov 15
Former references: in its original department: Registration No 55704

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=FREDERICK+NATHANIEL+JONES+CO...

======================

Searching FreeBMD I suspect this is "Grannie Thomas" ?

Surname Given Name Age District Volume Page Transcriber
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Jun 1912
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thomas Lucy 100 Monmouth 11a 19 Bing

Giving:

Record_ID: 170364
Entry_Number: 2215
Year: 1912
Month: Apr
Day: 16
Surname: THOMAS
Forenames: Lucy
Residence: Widow
Age_at_death: 101
Officiating_Minister: Edward H. Brice
Event: Interment
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: (1) The Scowles Coleford (2) South Div[ision] : Adults Gr[ave] (3) O 22 (4) Consecrated (5)
Notes:
Register_Reference: DA25 / 204 / 2
Page_No: 10
Parish_Chapel: Coleford Cemetery
Soundex: T520

================================================================

Another old FoD photo from a different photographer can be found at TNA Kew, namely:

Reference:COPY 1/549/97
Description: 'Photograph of Market Street, Cinderford, Gloucestershire'.
Copyright owner of work: Annie Lindley, Woodside Street, Anderford, Gloucestershire.
Copyright author of work: Annie Lindley, Woodside Street, Anderford, Gloucestershire.
Form completed: 13 September 1910. Registration stamp: 1910 September 14.
Note:This entry form and photograph (COPY 1/549/97) is contained within Box Number 1 of COPY 1/549.
Date: 1910 Sept 13
Former references: in its original department: Registration No 52247
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C13305991

Frederick N. Jones, Coleford Photographer.

by MJL @, Friday, August 09, 2013, 19:31 (3920 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff.
Wouldn't it have been some sort of miracle if you had found my Grandfather's photo?

Keep up the good work, as my Dad used to say 'You never know when the train may go....'

I will leave it to you to finish the quote.
Margaret

FOREST PHOTOGRAPHER

by Joanne @, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 20:01 (4030 days ago) @ MJL

1901 - 4 Marshfield Place, Bradford (Civil Parish), Bowling St. Stephen (Ecclesiastical Parish), Yorkshire

Frederick N Jones Head 40 Photgraphic Enlarger b. Glasgow, Scotland
Fanny M Jones Wife 32 b. Coleford, Gloucestershire
Nellie Jones Daur 9 b. Kew, Surrey
Freddie Jones Son 8 b. Richmond, Surrey
Sidney Jones Son 6 b. Plaistow, Essex

1911 - 8 Gloucester Road, Coleford, Gloucestershire

Frederick Jones Head 50 Photographer b. Glasgow, Lanark
Fannie Matilda Jones Wife 43 b. Coleford, Gloucestershire Married 20 years had 5 children, 5 children still alive
Frederick Sidney Jones Son 18 Tailor b. Richmond, Surrey
Sidney Henry Jones Son 16 Tailor b. Plaistow, London
Eunice Edith Jones Daur 8 b. Bradford, Yorkshire
Clarice Lillian Jones Daur 4 b. Coleford, Gloucestershire

Hopefully this can help you?

FOREST PHOTOGRAPHER

by MJL @, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 23:08 (4030 days ago) @ Joanne

Thank you Joanne,
That is as close as we can get I think.

I have hundreds of family photographs collected for over a hundred years and I am surprised that not one is identified as Arthur, bit sad really, I did get to know my grandmother, and I have lots of photos of her and all of her children, and her parents.

Regards,
Margaret

JONES Forest Photographers

by Roger Griffiths @, Monday, April 22, 2013, 18:31 (4029 days ago) @ MJL

Not sure what relationship FE and FN Jones had. FE Jones was photographer in Cinderford Before 1900. The carte de visite of my great grandmother Sarah Jane Griffiths and her daughter Kate Grail is in Soudley photographs here (FE Jones). That is the smaller one, the other one (Cabinet) was taken in London.

Previously, I have found Sites with lists of Victorian Photographers with examples of their work. Now, of course, nothing without paying for it. Both FE and FN Jones figure in one such Site at least.

Frederick Edward JONES 1856 Churcham - Photographer

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 22, 2013, 18:52 (4029 days ago) @ Roger Griffiths

Not sure what relationship FE and FN Jones had. FE Jones was photographer in Cinderford Before 1900. The carte de visite of my great grandmother Sarah Jane Griffiths and her daughter Kate Grail is in Soudley photographs here (FE Jones). That is the smaller one, the other one (Cabinet) was taken in London.

Previously, I have found Sites with lists of Victorian Photographers with examples of their work. Now, of course, nothing without paying for it. Both FE and FN Jones figure in one such Site at least.

1911 Glengar, Belle Vue Rd, Cinderford, Glos
Frederick James Edward Jones 55 Churcham Photographer
Rosa Jones 51

Fredk E Jones abt 1857 Churcham, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Rosa Jones abt 1861 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire

Fredrick J E Jones abt 1857 Churcham, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean, Gloucestershire
Rosa Jones abt 1861 Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean, Gloucestershire

Fredk. Jones abt 1857 Churcham Assistant Cheltenham, Gloucestershire Photographer

Name: Frederick James Edward Jones
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1856
Registration district: Westbury on Severn
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume:6a
Page: 191

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by nigeldownunder @, Australia, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 11:18 (3695 days ago) @ slowhands

Frederick Nathaniel Jones was married to one of the two daughters of Timothy Jones Vaughan (1847-1940) - my GG Grandfather, who was born in Staunton and buried in Christchurch. He (FNJ) married Fanny Matilda Vaughan in Brentford Middlesex in 1890. Although FN Jones was born in Glasgow in 1861, he did not remain there long. 1871 finds him in Bristol with his widowed Mother, and in 1881 he's still there, already practicing his profession as a photographer. After marrying Fanny Matilda, the family moved around quite a bit - London, Bradford, Richmond - finally returning to Fanny's roots in Coleford around 1905. Their youngest daughter Clarice was born there in 1907.
I have some photos from his studio showing 8 Gloucester Road, and 12 Gloucester Road. The Rising Generation photo on http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Coleford-Glos/Rising_Generation.html is from my collection.
I've just uploaded to this site a 1939 newspaper cutting from my Mother's scrapbooks, probably(?) from the Dean Forest Guardian, reporting the 5 generations of Timothy Jones Vaughan which might be interesting to some.
It seems that one of Frederick Nathaniel's daughters married a G Wilks (according to the 5 Generations), who may have been a police constable in Lydney. I've found a possible marriage on FreeBMD between an Eileen AV Jones and a George Frederick Wilks (Monmouth 11a 52) in Q1 1914, but I can't definitely place her as FNJ's daughter. This marriage doesn't show up on the FOD Parish records, although I would have thought that it would if the family was based in Coleford. Neither can I find the marriage in the parish records available on www.FindMyPast.co.uk.
I have no problem with the other 4 Generations described in the article - I would have been the 5th, but I wasn't around in 1939!!
I'm not aware of any family relationship between Frederick Nathaniel Jones and Frederick Edward Jones.

by admin2 @, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 12:15 (3695 days ago) @ nigeldownunder

The newspaper cutting referred to can be found in Resources-Documents and Articles-Newspaper Clippings.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/index.php/newspaper-clippings

Michael

by shepway @, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 12:20 (3695 days ago) @ nigeldownunder

This entry is taken from GlosBMD Index http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx

Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
WILKS George Frederick JONES Ellen Alice Vaughan Forest of Dean Coleford Baptist Chapel 1914 2 43

Mike

Frederick Edward JONES died 1929 Cinderford - Photographer

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, January 25, 2019, 19:10 (1925 days ago) @ nigeldownunder

Just been revisiting this thread, and realise we don't have a date for F.E.Jones's death, or indeed anything else post the 1911 census. I suspect he probably stayed in the photography business in or around Cinderford, but don't know for sure ?
I've tried a quick search thro the FoD PRs and also FreeBMD but cannot find anything definite. Please can someone add anything more to his lifestory, perhaps he's on the 1939 Register ?.

Many thanks in advance, Jeff.

UPDATE.

Oops, just realised that Slowhands (who else?), has already mentioned his full given name was Frederic JAMES Edward Jones, as per the following PR; so what his death record would show is currently anyone's guess, and may or may not spell his first name with a K, so ?? ...

Record_ID: 79716
Entry_Number: 212
Year: 1856
Month: Sep
Day: 21
Parents_Surname: JONES
Child_Forenames: Frederic James Edward
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Harriett
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Birdwood
Officiating_Minister: Geo.C.Hall Vicar
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P83 IN 1/10
Page_Number: 27
Parish_Chapel: Churcham

Revisiting FreeBMD gives;

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Deaths Jun 1929 (>99%)
Jones Frederick J E 72 Westbury S. 6a 312

Which seems an excellent fit age-wise

This FoD site PR shows he died at his home in Belle Vue, Cinderford, presumably the same home he occupied in the 1911 census.

Record_ID: 67097
Entry_Number: 1045
Year: 1929
Month: Apr
Day: 10
Forenames: Frederick James Edward
Residence: Belle Vue Road Cinderford
Age_at_death: 73
Officiating_Minister: H M Biddell Vicar of S Stephens
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: B/10/23
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/15
Page_No: 131
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Friday, January 25, 2019, 19:36 (1925 days ago) @ Jefff

This confirms his death and his occupation:-

BNA Gloucester Citizen - Wednesday 29 September 1926

In a report of the inquest on Albert Edward French who died as the result of a traffic accident,

……………When the inquest was resumed the first witness was Frank Idiens, Littledean, main road surveyor to the Gloucestershire County Council, who produced a plan of the road where the collision occurred; while Frederick James Edward Jones, photographer, produced photographs of the scene of the collision………………..

BNA Gloucester Citizen - Monday 08 April 1929

A CINDERFORD TRADESMAN. Death of Mr. F. J. E. Jones. The death took place yesterday morning Mr. Frederick James Edward Jones, a well-known townsman of Cinderford. The deceased was taken ill Friday afternoon. Mr. Jones, who was born at Churcham, was in his 73rd year. He went to Cinderford 42 years ago, and set up a photography business and had lived there ever since. Formerly, the deceased had been widely known as an amateur musician, both a solo vocalist and instrumentalist. He leaves a widow, but no family.

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, January 25, 2019, 19:40 (1925 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike, very interesting.
Apologies if my initial post sent you on a wild goose chase before I got my "update" hat into gear.
atb J

This looks like his widow Rosa;

Record_ID: 67634
Entry_Number: 1583
Year: 1936
Month: Oct
Day: 17
Forenames: Rosa
Residence: 35 Belle Vue Road
Age_at_death: 76
Officiating_Minister: Tom T Haines Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: B/10/23
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/15
Page_No: 198
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John

Slowhands' post suggested they married between 1881 and 1891, and stated that Rosa was born Cheltenham abt 1861.
I think this is their marriage, from FreeBMD;

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1885 (>99%)
Jones Frederick Cheltenham 6a 670
White Rosa Cheltenham 6a 670

Surname Given Name District Volume Page Transcribers
Births Dec 1860
WHITE Rosa Cheltenham 6a 334 bmdjmc
WHITE Rosa Cheltenham 6a 334 wydinya

GlosBMD has;

Marriage Details
Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
JONES Frederick WHITE Rosa Cheltenham Pittville All Saints 1885 1 131

Birth Details
Child Surname Child Forename Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
WHITE Rosa HUGHES 1860 Cheltenham Cheltenham, Cheltenham 43 213

RSS Feed of thread