selby family clearwell (General)

by jonathan1234 @, Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 20:42 (3908 days ago)

hi, my name is Jonathan Selby , age 48 , my father was john Barrie Selby, sad to say no longer with us , my grandfather was john william henry selby 1st world war vet who joined up at i think 15 or 16 , who grew up in Clearwell , his father was shadrack selby , who lived and had a owned a coal mine in clearwell just wondering if any one has any info on my family or can remember them , i did speak some years age to one of my grandfathers brothers children but due to poor pc skills on my behalf have lost touch with them any info on my ancestors , relations would be great . jonathan

selby family clearwell

by selbyfamily @, Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 22:56 (3908 days ago) @ jonathan1234

Hi Jonathan
I have researched all the Selby family including your part of it. I am in touch with a fairly close member of your family. I will write to you on your e-mail in a few days as I may be going away for the weekend. If you Search Forum I think you will find a few threads on the Selbys.
Sheila

SELBY family

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 23:22 (3907 days ago) @ jonathan1234

hi, my name is Jonathan Selby , age 48 , my father was john Barrie Selby, sad to say no longer with us , my grandfather was john william henry selby 1st world war vet who joined up at i think 15 or 16 , who grew up in Clearwell , his father was shadrack selby , who lived and had a owned a coal mine in clearwell just wondering if any one has any info on my family or can remember them , i did speak some years age to one of my grandfathers brothers children but due to poor pc skills on my behalf have lost touch with them any info on my ancestors , relations would be great . jonathan

This thread may help
http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=3507

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

SELBY family

by organmorgan, Sunday, March 22, 2015, 08:28 (3323 days ago) @ slowhands

My name is Jonathan Selby and I grew up in Clearwell. My grandmother lived with her two sisters next to your grandmother Dot on the high street. My father was Jack Selby who was born "out of wedlock" and was considered as a brother by Joe Selby who run the post office in Bream. Username "unknown" has posted that Joseph was his grandfather.

SELBY family

by selbyfamily @, Sunday, March 22, 2015, 09:17 (3323 days ago) @ organmorgan

Hi Jonathan, please click on my envelope and write to me privately as I had not found you in my family research (I think I have now) and would like to know more about your part of the family. I have researched the whole of the Selby family so if you need any help I can probably oblige.
Sheila

SELBY/LEWIS family

by Borderlass @, Tuesday, July 06, 2021, 21:35 (1025 days ago) @ organmorgan

Hello Jonathan,
I think our mothers were cousins! I have been researching the Lewis Family for some time. I visited your Mum Olive Selby (nee Lewis) at Sling in 2006. Our grandfathers David & William Lewis were brothers. My Mum was David’s daughter Gwynneth. If you wish to contact me you could message me through this Forum.
Best wishes,
Jo Wheldon

SELBY/LEWIS family

by organmorgan, Sunday, October 24, 2021, 10:34 (915 days ago) @ Borderlass

Hi Jo,
Olive Selby was my mother and William Lewis was my grandfather. I would be interested to know more about the Lewis side of my family and share what little I remember. Jonathan

selby family clearwell

by phudson @, Sevenoaks, Kent, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 12:20 (916 days ago) @ jonathan1234

Jonathan

My mother Alice Wood (1927-2018) was a wartime evacuee who ended up in the Forest of Dean. When she turned 14 she went into service and worked at a large house in Newland. She was befriended by the Housekeeper who was May Selby. May and her sister Doll lived in Clearwell and remained close to my mother for the rest of their lives. I recall visiting them in Clearwell well into the 70's. I recall they had a neice or younger sister Sheila and another relative, all living in Clearwell. My mother didn't return to London and Clearwell became home till she married my father Wilf Hudson (1925-1994) from Redbrook at Clearwell St Peters in 1952.

Although my focus is on my Hudson roots in Redbrook and Penallt I have always been curious to find living relatives of May & Doll. My parents wedding photos in August 1952 feature May, Doll and Jack Selby.

Phil Hudson
Four Elms, Kent

RSS Feed of thread