Lydney Parish Registers or BTs (Parish Records)

by Koromo, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:25 (3550 days ago)

Greetings

I have strong reasons to believe that one of my 6x gr-grandfathers was a curate at the Lydney parish church in 1710-1712. Rev Howell POWELL (and his wife Anne) was from Radnorshire and he was next appointed to Llantilio Crossenny in Monmouthshire from 1713 and Llangattock juxta Usk in 1716.

It appears from the FoD parish records that he baptised two of his daughters and buried one at Lydney:
Anna baptised 7 Mar 1710/11 (father's name is incorrectly transcribed **)
Elizabeth baptised 1 Nov 1712
Elizabeth died 6 March 1712/13 (from Memorial Inscription)
Elizabeth buried 11 Mar 1712/13

If he wrote up the parish register, his handwriting could confirm whether the Lydney Rev Howell POWELL is "mine". Are the FoD records taken from the Lydney registers or from the Bishop's Transcripts?

I am very grateful to the FoD transcribers without whom I would not have identified the Lydney Rev Howell as (probably) mine!

Koromo

(** cf. Clergy of the Church of England database, Howell POWELL, Lydney, curate, 1711, Person ID: 161262)

POWELL - Lydney

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:08 (3550 days ago) @ Koromo

needs a more more research….. Not sure if Howell/Henry/Howard are the same Curate? because in 1710 - Howard/Howell POWELL keeps 'popping up'

By using the % sign in the surname (this covers all surnames) and looking at the Baptisms in Lydney….

Howard POWELL was the Curate and conducting baptisms in 1708 and 1709 i.e.

24 May - Anne LEWIS, parents John & Elizabeth - How(ard) POWELL Curate

---

??

There are a couple of Henry Powell's in 1707/1708 - Curate

POWELL - Lydney

by Koromo, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:42 (3550 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Ah, thanks for the tip about using the % sign.

I don't know exactly when Howell POWELL was appointed at Lydney — it would seem to be at least from 1708.

It's likely that the entries for How[ard] should really be for How[ell]. A comparison with the Llangattock-juxta-Usk registers is not totally satisfactory because there is a gap after 1716 but by 1727 he usually signed the parish register as H: Powell.

Do you know if the images for the Lydney register (not the BTs) exist anywhere?

POWELL - Lydney

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 12:47 (3550 days ago) @ Koromo

There is a Help and Support form - see headings….

Am sure Admin would give you the answer to your question.

? Lydney Parish Church would probably have records of all their past Curates.

The Advance Search can't be used for searching by Curate name - My x Great Uncle was a Rev in the Forest about a hundred years later - and he did 'pop off' to other churches to conduct a few marriages etc - This may be the case of your Howell Powell?

As you say, Anna POWELL's baptism 7 March 1710 - father How[ard] POWELL, Clerk

Lydney Parish Registers or BTs

by grahamdavison @, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 13:31 (3550 days ago) @ Koromo

I have copies of the Lydney registers for this period. If you write to me offline I can let you have copies.

by Koromo, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 14:16 (3550 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Done.

My anxiety is now rising — perhaps I've got everything wrong!

:-)
Koromo

by Koromo, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 18:36 (3550 days ago) @ Koromo

YES!

Howell POWELL the curate at Lydney in 1708-1713 is the same as Rev Howell POWELL the vicar of Llantilio Crossenny from 1713 and the rector of Llangattock-juxta-Usk from 1716 ... and my 6x gr-grandfather!

In 1712 he was also made chaplain to James, the 3rd Earl of Berkeley which is why I was vaguely looking in the Berkeley area and stumbled across the curate of Lydney. Quite how/why he made it from Radnorshire to Gloucestershire I don't know.

He had three daughters, two of whom married and lived in the Abergavenny area, the third married a Somerset man and lived there. Rev Howell POWELL was buried at Llangattock-juxta-Usk on 29 November 1736; his wife Anne was buried there on 20 April 1742.

I've searched for any of his daughter's baptisms for years, so I am over the moon with delight!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Koromo

RSS Feed of thread