The Greyhound pub, Popes hill (General)

by Sandra Day @, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 11:47 (6923 days ago)

I believe that the Greyhound Pub, belonged to my Great grandparents Sarah and William Nicholls around the start of the 1900's. I am interested to know if anyone has information on the Greyhound pub at all.
Regards,
Sandra

The Greyhound pub, Popes hill

by Slowhand-s @, Friday, May 13, 2005, 14:38 (6924 days ago) @ Sandra Day

Greyhound, The Slad, GL14 1JX 01594 760344

The Greyhound Inn had an annual rateable value of £18.0s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. The last chance to replenish a glass of the excellent Stroud Ales in 1903 was at 10 p.m. The Greyhound is still trading. It is located halfway between Elton corner and Littledean on the A4151. Map reference SO 686141..

1891 George Baker (owner). Alehouse. Free from brewery tie

1903 Edward Probyn. Alehouse. Stroud Brewery

1939 Alfred W. Nicholls

1999-> Ray and Avril Pammenter

by sandra @, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 04:21 (6924 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

Thankyou so much, that's great! Would you also know if there are any photographs around, it would be nice to see what it looked like in those days and if there were actually any with my Great grandfather on, that would be a real bonus. I think also that they run the Bird in Hand at Broadwell, Do you know how I could find out about that?
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
Regards,
Sandra

by willow, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 07:45 (6924 days ago) @ sandra

Hi, At the end of the month I am in Broadwell, only for a day unfortunately but I am there with my Camera so will take a uptodate photo of the Bird in hand, however I will be back there for a week in the Summer staying only a few doors away.

My Father grew up in Broadwell from 1925- the 1950's so will also see what he recalls...

by sandra @, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 09:46 (6923 days ago) @ willow

Thankyou so much for your kind offer, I actually live in Berry Hill. I was just hoping that somesody might happen to have some old photographs and a slim chance that just maybe my Great Grandparents might even be on some.
If there is anything I can help you with, as I am in the area, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks once again.
Sandra

The Greyhound pub, Popes hill/Bird in Hand,Broadwell

by May @, Tuesday, December 20, 2005, 07:54 (6703 days ago) @ sandra

Hi,
My uncle Harold was the licensee of the Bird in the 50's and 60's. It was owned by Georges Brewery (Bristol) at the start of his tenancy. Later in his tenancy the Georges brewery was taken over by the Courages brewery. I have a photo of Broadwell from that time showing the Bird, and my grandparent's cottage next door, where I was born. I still live locally.

by willow, Wednesday, December 21, 2005, 02:32 (6703 days ago) @ May

Hi

Somewhere near the Bird in Hand, I believe behind it, lived a gentleman who's name or nickname was Nunky (sp)... I don't know his real name (that may be it but I am doubtful) but I was wondering if anyone knows him I beleive he has died
and would like to find out when and also where he is buried

by May @, Wednesday, December 21, 2005, 06:20 (6703 days ago) @ willow

I remember Nunky. We lived next door when I was a small child. His surname was Preece. My memory of his funeral report tells me that his name may have been Claude but I will ask my Aunt who lived in the adjoining cottage for many years after us to confirm this. Nunk and his mother appear on some of our family photographs. Why the interest?

by willow, Thursday, December 22, 2005, 01:44 (6702 days ago) @ May

Hi

I have grown up with tales from my father about things him and Nunky did when younger. Upon reading the thread about the Bird in Hand pub it reminded me of Nunky, I recently brought my father back to the forest (his roots) as part of his 80th birthday treat, things have changed, he grew up in what is now 48 North Road just up from the pub and on the opposite side of the pub, as we drove past the pub he said Nunky lived here, but I missed which actual house.

I only know him as Nunky and Dad only ever called him that, I met him once as a teenager.

Dad knows he has died but not really when, or even where he is buried, it would be nice to tell him anything you can find out for me.

If your Aunt has lived there a long time, my Dad left the forest in 1950's
(we are in lincolnshire) but is still a forest boy in heart, his name is Harold Ireland
his older siblings were Flossie, Tom, Hilda, Kath and Dorothy all now deceased.

Be nice to hear from you

awld sayin'

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, December 22, 2005, 02:46 (6702 days ago) @ willow

but is still a forest boy in heart,

To borrow an old saying

"You can take the boy out of the Forest,
but never the Forest out of the boy "

or should that be Vorest ??????

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

awld sayin'

by May @, Vorest a Dean, Thursday, December 22, 2005, 06:12 (6702 days ago) @ slowhands

As my dad would have said, Slowhands,

"thou bisn't wrong there owd butt"

awld sayin'

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Thursday, December 22, 2005, 12:23 (6701 days ago) @ May

May Priceless !!

I'm sat here smiling, remembering how as a yung un' my command of the Vorest double negative construction set me apart from my peers at school.

Its still there just suppressed :-)

thanks
S

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

awld sayin'

by willow, Thursday, December 22, 2005, 18:46 (6701 days ago) @ slowhands

Ahhh now youre getting me all sentimental...

I grew up used to my dads accent which is now watered down compared to family I have in Berry hill

but my friends in Lincolnshire had no hope in hell of understanding him which baffled me as ...he talks like anyone else...or so I thought

My step mother recently died and to try and keep him active and a purpose to carry on I've been buying him memoriabila and books about the Forest from Ebay. Funniest one was a book all written in the Forest dialect ( name of book I cant recall at present) We have so much fun with it.. He opens a page and immediately goes into the local dialect and when I try it sound like gobbleygook.

Can't wait till Xmas day.... He'll probably have a heart attack at all the Forest stuff thats waiting under the tree :)

Thanks for this forum, It's actually helped me and my dad get closer in his twighlight years as I research his family

by Slowhand-s @, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 08:58 (6923 days ago) @ sandra

Bird in Hand, North Road GL16 7BX

Map reference SO 588114. The Bird in Hand is still trading. It is a whitewashed building on the road leading towards Berry Hill. The pub had an annual rateable value of £14.0s.0d. in 1891 and 1903 and closed at 10 p.m. It had a six day license, presumably closing on Sundays.

1891 Mary Marling (owner). Beerhouse. Free from brewery tie

1903 George Niblett. Beerhouse. John Arnold & Sons, Wickwar (owner John Niblett)

1999 March) Mike and Jan Tutty

by Sandra @, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 09:43 (6923 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

Thankyou slowhands, I guess perhaps I have been mis-informed by my family all these years. Maybe they ran another pub, somewhere else.
Regards,
Sandra

by Slowhand-s @, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 12:14 (6923 days ago) @ Sandra

There are still plenty of gaps in the list . If it was a census year you might find them at a Pub....

by Robert Williams, Tuesday, February 21, 2006, 00:25 (6641 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

I have a copy of an undated and unsourced newspaper clipping, being the Obituary of Mr Merrick Phelps (82) of High Croft, Mitcheldean. It states in part:
"He was a retired inn keeper who kept the Greyhound at Mitcheldean for nearly 18 years before his retirement 12 years ago. Earlier he had been licensee of the Crown, Howle Hill, where he once had a bakery and grocery business."

Is this the same Greyhound inn? Can someone help with the approximate date of Mr Phelps death? Can someone tell me whether the Crown is still operating? and where Howle Hill is?

Thanks (from Sydney, Australia) in advance.

by Maurice G Teague @, Westbury on Severn, Thursday, February 23, 2006, 23:23 (6638 days ago) @ Robert Williams

Hi Robert.No this is not the same Greyhound Pub,Mitcheldean is about 3 miles away.The Mitcheldean Greyhound was in High St and was tied to the Forest Brewery in 1860 and during Merrick Phelps occupation.It was a 4 storey building and obviously a substantial property for the time.It was later taken over by the Cheltenham Original Brewery and later closed to become a Post Office.

by Robert Williams, Friday, February 24, 2006, 15:58 (6637 days ago) @ Maurice G Teague

Hi Maurice. It did not seem to me from this distance to be the same pub, but it also seemed a bit odd that two of similar name would be so close together. Thank you for your message, sorting it out.

That bottomless well of knowledge, slowhands, has found for me that 'Merrick' is apparently 'George Merrick Phelps' born September Qr 1871 (see 'Phelps family' thread). This puts the date of the newspaper clipping at about 1953/4.

by Maurice G Teague @, Westbury on Severn, Monday, December 19, 2005, 18:28 (6704 days ago) @ Sandra Day

In 1956 The Greyhound Pub was run by Harry Perks.My wife to be lived in a cottage up the lane which ran behind the Greyhound and because it was unsuitable for motorised traffic at that time she changed into her wedding dress at the pub before proceeding to Flaxley Church where we were married at 3-00pm on 17-11-1956.
An aunty of my wife was a Nicholls who kept the pub earlier,she married John Townley who farmed at the Abbey Farm and subsequently at Great Hyde Farm near Newnham.

by SANDRA DAY @, Tuesday, January 24, 2006, 22:50 (6668 days ago) @ Maurice G Teague

Hi Maurice,
I e-mailed you some months ago, but I am guessing you didn't get my e-mail. I am interested in speaking with you, as Win Townley nee Nicholls is my Aunty. Please get in touch.
Sandra

by Maurice Teague @, Westbury on Severn, Wednesday, January 25, 2006, 00:16 (6668 days ago) @ SANDRA DAY

Sorry I did not get your E-mail.As you probably know Aunty Win moved away from Newnham and since then Uncle John has died.I will be pleased to hear from you,Maybe the the e-mail went astray due to the mistake made by BT when they registered my name.regards Maurice

by sandra @, Monday, February 06, 2006, 22:25 (6655 days ago) @ Maurice Teague

Maurice, I am guessing you didn't get my e-mail again. Can I email you direct?
Regards,
Sandra

Can I email you direct?

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Monday, February 06, 2006, 23:56 (6655 days ago) @ sandra

Sandra

A person will only get an email sent to them from a reply to their post if the following box is ticked.

"E-mail notification if there has been a reply to this message"

You will find this directly underneath the section where you type your message.

If a person has NOT checked this box which is the case when Maurice posted his messages he will not receive notification of your reply post. You can still contact a person by a contact form providing that person has set his option of showing an email link next to a message.

As Maurice has this option set so his email link shows, all you have to do if you wish to contact him direct is to click the email icon next to his message which is on the side or on the top (depending upon which mode you are using for viewing) the message.

You can find out about a few other features of the Message Board by having a read of the FAQ.

by Maurice G Teague @, Westbury on Severn, Wednesday, February 08, 2006, 01:08 (6654 days ago) @ sandra

Hi Sandra.Yes you can E-mail me direct at any time.

RSS Feed of thread