Elizabeth Daws - Westbury On Severn (Parish Records)

by Mai_ling @, Thursday, June 11, 2015, 07:03 (3234 days ago)

I checked the marriage for a William BARROW and Elizabeth ? who were married in Westbury On Severn on October 10 1731.

On the Original WOS Records that I found on Ancestry it has the marriage of William Barrow and Elizabeth ? - I was expecting it to say Daws or Dawes but to me it is not really clear as the D does not look like the other D's on the page. I checked the transcript on this website and it says Elizabeth Daws.

I wonder if there is anyone who would be kind enough to double check the original record and let me know what they think.

Thank you.

Marriage of William Barrow and Elizabeth 1731 W o S

by Paul Andrews @, Shropshire, England, Thursday, June 11, 2015, 14:09 (3233 days ago) @ Mai_ling

Ancestry and IGI have both transcribed the surname of Elizabeth as Fords.

There are several baptismal records on IGI for Elizabeth Fords which could relate to this person.

Elizabeth Daws - Westbury On Severn

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Thursday, June 11, 2015, 20:44 (3233 days ago) @ Mai_ling

Not an easy one but if I had to transcribe this name without any pre-knowledge I would have made it BORDS. It is certainly not DAWES or DAWS. The first letter doesn’t look like an F either – there are some examples of this in the same hand on previous pages.

Elizabeth Daws - Westbury On Severn

by Mai_ling @, Friday, June 12, 2015, 01:34 (3233 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thank you for the replies. I've had another look based on the two suggestions I received and I think that it is Bord. I've based that on looking carefully at the B of the surname of Barrow and then other B's. I'm not as convinced about the F as when I had a look at other names with F - it seems to have a lot more of a flourish.

RSS Feed of thread