Presenting to a church in 1547 (General)

by isherwop @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 09:08 (3188 days ago)

I have been researching the Pauncefote family, Lords of the manor at Hasfield.
The history of this family is recorded in 'The History of Gloucester" accessible on the web. Part of this account is:
Browne claimed to have been expelled from the manor by force in 1531, but apparently regained possession, and c 1537 was disputing the manor with Richard, John Paucefote's son. Richard presented to Hasfield church in 1547 and died seised of the manor in 1558. He was succeeded by his son John who went into exile in 1584 because of his recusancy.
I am wondering what "presenting to Hasfield church" was all about. Would this have been relevant to him repossessing the manor or did it have something to do with his reccusancy which ultimately resulted in him going into exile.
Any help or ideas appreciated.

Presenting to a church in 1547

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 13:06 (3188 days ago) @ isherwop

I think this could have something to do with the presentation of evidence to a church court, although I have no idea whether such a court would have sat locally. This link gives a useful summary of what they were about,

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/NEI_court.htm

by isherwop @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 22:49 (3188 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Mike,
Thanks for telling me where to find information about presenting to a church court. I found it very helpful.Although I have not discovered why they presented in 1547 I have now found other incidents from 1558 onwards all related to their non attendance at Church of England church services. It is evident that the Pauncefoots remained staunch catholics. They were accused of sheltering a catholic priest for nine months and while in exile John Pauncefoot translated into English a Catholic condemnation of heresy in England. It not surprising they went into exile!
There is a reference to the 1547 presentation but I don't know what it means. It reads 'Hockaday Abs. ccvi'. Any clues about where I could find this reference would be helpful or I will contact the Gloucester Archives. The challenge will be translating it into English.

Thanks again

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 23:09 (3188 days ago) @ isherwop

This may be helpful but I think Glos Archives will have to be invoked,

http://www.hidden-heritage.co.uk/services/sources/the-hockaday-collection/

by nimrod, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 00:30 (3188 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

I have transcribed all the Gloucestershire Pauncefote wills and have deposited 'Wills and Notes of the Pauncefoots of Gloucestershire' at the Gloucestershire Archives. I have also researched the Pauncefoots in London, Herefordshire, Buckinghamshire and Lincolnshire and have been to see Grimbald's effigy in Crickhowell church. He died c.1280. An amazing family but no relation to me. Nimrod

by isherwop @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 09:16 (3187 days ago) @ nimrod

Dear Nimrod, I could not believe my good fortune in finding someone who has researched the Pauncefotes so comprehensively. You have done a amazing job.

It is my wife who is a very distant descendent of the Pauncefoots. I have been very lucky to find a totally credible but not totally proven lineage which links into the more recent Pauntley Pauncefoot line. The link is through Elizabeth Pauncefoot who married Thomas Hall in Newent in 1732. Elizabeth's father was Robert Pauncefoot said to have been baptised 9 May 1654. Robert married Elizabeth Smooke after 1852. It is Robert's father Grimbald who takes us into the Pauncefoot line. Grimbald was the son of William. His second wife was Dorothy Cam and they were the parents of Robert. Grimbald would have been close to 70 years old when Robert was born.

You will appreciate that my interest in the Pauncefoots goes back in time from Grimbald son of William. I have found it difficult to place William's father also Grimbald in the Hasfield dynasty. We are told that he was contemporary with Sir Thomas who was born in 1535 but have you any idea what the relationship between them may have been?

I am a bit handicapped in accessing information on the Pauncefotes from the Gloucester Archives as I live in faraway New Zealand but any information you could email to me would be gratefully appreciated. I have downloaded Grimbald Pauncefoot's will from the national archives and after a great deal of work have a good accurate transcription. I think most of the wills you have transcribed would be later but if there are any prior to 1660 I would certainly really appreciate your help. Just give me the references and I will request them. Better still if you could email information to me that would be terrific and I will send you my email address. Thanks, Peter

by isherwop @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 08:21 (3187 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Thanks Mike,

As you say I think I will have to contact the Gloucester archives,

Peter

by nimrod, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 10:56 (3187 days ago) @ isherwop

Hi Robert Pauncefoot married Elizabeth Snooke of Dorsetshire before 1684(see Pauntley MIs on this wonderful site). There is a will on Ancestry for Thomas Hall of Pauntley proved 1743. Grimbald born c.1532 was the son of Grimbald and Mellesent of Redmarley then in Worcestershire. I think he was the brother of John of Hasfield who was murdered in 1517 by 6 'men of quality'! (See BGAS.org for two articles by Jean Langston. Family tree included in her 1951 research.) The connection with Hasfield continued to at least 1635 when Grimbald leased tithes in Hasfield to William Browne.

Grimbald of Redmarley died intestate and Mellesent was granted letters of administration.

by nimrod, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 17:55 (3187 days ago) @ nimrod

Isherwop Grimbald born c.1532 should read William born c.1532.

by isherwop @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 07:00 (3186 days ago) @ nimrod

Nimrod, Thanks so much for your reply. The articles by Jane Langston are by far the best information I have on the Hasfield Pauncefotes. I don't think I would have found them without your assistance. I have emailed Gloucester Archives regarding the early wills to see if they can send me your contributions. Did you provide them with transcriptions? There are four wills there I would like to see but the thought of having to transcribe more early wills, particularly in the 1500s is rather daunting. I was fascinated by your reference to the people who murdered John. Jane only mentions three people and I was surprised to find they seem to be people of property. What was the source of your information? Thanks again for your assistance which has been so helpful, Peter

by nimrod, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 11:11 (3186 days ago) @ isherwop

Hi Peter Re wills - If you click on the envelope (top left hand) you can send me your e mail address. www.BGAS.org has a brief mention of your wife's Robert and his daughters in the The Pastons of Horton again by JN Langston 1958, Vol 77 p.12.

by bexell, Saturday, March 18, 2017, 20:29 (2603 days ago) @ isherwop

At the risk of 'butting in' on what appears to be a concluded Forum thread, I was nonetheless hoping to add my own inquiry regarding the Pauncefotes (Pauncefoot, Pauncefaut etc).
I am a direct descendant of this family as follows (I am a direct descendant, in the male line, of the William Bennett shown below):

(This information is taken primarily from The Baronetage of England, Or the History of the English Baronets.... Vol. 5, by William Betham. pp. 62-71)

Anne Pauncefote (1677-1729) m. William Bennett (c.1651-1715)--of Hartgrove, Dorset
William Pauncefote (1647-1691) m. Anne Pride (1648-1715)
Poole Pauncefote (1612-1687) m. Elianor Rogers (1608-1673)
Grimbald Pauncefote (1583-1667) m. Mary Nourse
William Pauncefote (1532-1616) m. Dorothy Scolcroft (? - aft. 1616)
Grimbald Pauncefote (c.1508 - ?) m. Millicent (Mellesent?)

(It appears that Mellesent, as a widow, lived with her daughter Elizabeth and son-in-law John Dabitot in Redmarley.)

Like many Pauncefote researchers, I have had to deal with the problem of linking Grimbald & Millicent, who are identified as the "Collateral branch of the original grant of Hasfield to that of its alienation", to that of the more ancient line that goes back to the 12th, 13th and 14th centuries.
Any suggestions?

by DMF, Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 12:49 (2088 days ago) @ bexell

Hi, Just wondered if you got anywhere with your query about Grimbald Pauncefote & Millisent. I am descended from their daughter Elizabeth and John Dabitott.

by isherwop @, Thursday, August 16, 2018, 21:36 (2087 days ago) @ DMF

This might be of interest. Yhe photographs did not copy across.
The Pauncefote Connection

The search for Hannah’s ancestors has been much more interesting and productive. The graveyard inscription indicated that her parents were Thomas and Elizabeth. A search for Hannah born of Thomas and Elizabeth about 1732 in Newent has only one candidate and this is Hannah Hall daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth baptised in Newent in 1732. Thomas Hall and Elizabeth Pauncefote were married at Newent on 23 October 1710 and the following children are recorded in parish records:

Date Name Residence Parish
28 Nov 1711 Thomas Compton Green Newent ( In Pauntley)
8 Dec 1714 Elizabeth Newent
27 Aug 1718 John Newent
11 May 1726 Robert Newent
8 May 1732 Hannah Newent

Thomas was buried on 29 Nov.1759 in Newent. We don’t know anything more about this family but we do know that a graveyard inscription for a later Thomas Hall who died in 1843 aged 87 and was also married to Elizabeth was “of Compton Green Farm suggesting that possibly our Thomas was also a farmer.

Elizabeth Pauncefote baptised 4 April 1684 at Newent is the daughter of Robert (a Gent) and Elizabeth Smooke . There is one other baptism for this family recorded in the Newent parish record and this is for Anne born 1686. Robert was the son of Grimbald Paucenfote who had inherited the Paucenfote estates.

We will not attempt to trace the Paucenfote family back any further as all the work has been done. An 1805 publication entitled “The Baronetage of England or The History of the English Baronets” by the Rev William Betham, which is accessible on Google Books, has a detailed ten page treatise on the Pauncefote family. Robert Pauncefote and his father Grimbald are both included in this book.

This is the ancestry as it appears in the book. The Paucefotev lineage is in blue with the Dalley link in Green.

The introductory section of the book reads as follows
“The family of Pauncenfote, whose surname has been at different periods been variously written, is of great antiquity, and knightly pre-eminence, in this kingdom: Bernard Pauncenfote being mentioned in the Domesday Book, as a considerable proprietor at Festerfield, in Whitshire, and in the hundred of Sunburne, in Hampshire, and as holding of the King in capite. His descendent, Richard Pauncenfote, obtained from Henry III a grant of the manor of Hasfield, in the county of Gloucester, in the 33rd year of his reign (1302); which estate was transmitted in uninterrupted succession to his posterity, until the beginning of the 17th century, when it was alienated by Richard Pauncefote, Esq.Hasfield passed through ten generations of Pauncefotes. Many of them were knights and held positions of importance.” However the history does not relate the turbulent last few years of the Pauncefote’s ownership. That story is recounted in the History of Gloucester volume 8. The manor was eventually inherited by a John Pauncefote in 1558. He went into exile in 1584 with his son also John because of his recusancy (failure to obey an authority or regulation) and another son Richard occupied the manor until 1598 when it was sold marking the end of 300 years of Paucenfote occupancy.

A baronency was granted to the Pauncefote family but this occurred at a much later date and is not relevant to the Lords of the Manor at Hasfield. The reason they are included in the book is because they were ancestors of the Baron.
Hasfield is a farming area with narrow country lanes and lovely trees about 10 km north of Gloucester and 13km west of Newent. .
Aerial photograph of Hadfield Court and surrounding garden and buildings with the Church on the right. Hasfield Court is on the left.
This photograph is of Hasfield Court as it is today built close to the site of the original
manor house. The house is now in private hands but the Church is accessible.

The book then goes on to give in a great mass of names dates and family events .leading eventually to the Baron. Here are the sections covering the earlier ancestors in the lineage that are in Dalley line. The Dalley are ancestors highlighted in bold type-

by isherwop @, Thursday, August 16, 2018, 21:41 (2087 days ago) @ isherwop

Here is the est of the comment which was to big to send in one bite

“Having traced the descent of this family from the original grant of Hasfield to that of its alienation; we now have to treat of a collateral branch of the same stock, of which the present Baronet is the representative. Contemporary with Thomas Pauncenfote before mentioned, (who died in 1535) was Grimbald Pauncefote, described in the Herald’s Visitation to Gloucestershire in 1682, of Hasfield, aforesaid, and therein stated to have been born about the year (illegible). By Millicent his wife, he had issue a son William,.............., son and heir of Grimbald, of Pauntley, and of Newent in the county of Gloucester, and was buried at Pauntley, 28th February,1616, aged 84, leaving issue, by Dorothy his wife, daughter and coheir of Giles Scolcroft, of Selby, in the county of York, Esq; two sons Grimbald and Giles, and a daughter Dorothy, the wife of Richard Green of Newent, Esq. Sometime chancellor of the diocese of Gloucester. Grimbald Pauncefote, of Pauntley, aforesaid, Esq. Eldest son and heir of William, by Dorothy Scolcroft, married first, Mary, eldest daughter of John Nourse, of Weston-under-Penyard, in the county of Hereford, Esq. By whom he had issue 1, Poole Pauncefotet, his heir and 2, William, who died unmarried, and was buried at Pauntley, 26th April 1638: also three daughters etc. etc. etc. Grimbald Pauncefote married secondly, Dorothy, daughter of John Cam, of Dymock, in the county of Gloucester, by whom he had 1, John; 2, William, who was baptised 31 October 1618, died unmarried June 1167; 3, Robert, baptised 9th May 1654, married (after 1682,) Elizabeth, third daughter of Leonard Smooke, of Stour Provis, in the county of Dorset, Gent. He died 14 August, 1721, aged 67: she died 11 February, 1720, aged 70; both were buried at Pauntley.”

To summarise, the Dalley line commences with Grimbald Sen. then to his son William and thence to Grimbald Jun and then his son Robert whose daughter Elizabeth married Thomas Hall who is Henry Dalley’s great great grandfather!

A brief article in the UK Genealogical Archives states that “the manor previously belonged to the Whittington family, including Sir Richard Whittington lord mayor of London. The Pauncefotes family were afterwards in possession.” It is not clear exactly when the Pauncefotes occupied the manor but it is quite possible Grimbald Sen. was the first occupant as the Whittington’s possession seems to have been contested about this time. There are records of William and John Pauncefote’s in the church cemetery but we don’t know how long the family occupied the manor now known as Pauntley Court. Pauntley is a rural area about 12km west of Hasfield and is similar to Hasfield being the parish centre with the Church and Manor House in close proximity.
This aerial photograph shows the house and garden on the right and the church on the left.
Pauntley Court and gardens is now a luxury bed and breakfast open to the public. If anyone ever visits they could ask the current owner if they know much about the history of the manor and when the Pauncefote family were occupants.

We have a long and complicated will for Grimbald Pauncefoot (spelt this way in the will). It is evident that the Pauncefote family owned land in a quite a lot of different locations and were very wealthy. They derived their income from the tenancies received from their leasehold farmers. The occupation of both Grimabald and Robert who inherited some of the properties is Gent an indication they did not do any farming themselves.

Although the Paucenfote family had achieved prominence and were Lords of the Manor at Hasfield for many years the Baronetcy was not granted until 1757 to George Smith. He is Grimbald’s great great great grandson. They must have run out of male heirs as it was George Smoth’s wife Mary Howe’s mother Elizabeth who was the Pauncefote heiress. The first baron George Smith was Grimbald Jun’s great great great grandson and he received the baronetcy in 1757 when he was Sheriff of Nottingham. George retained the name of Smith for his life time but when the title passed to his son also George who was Sheriff of Gloucester he changed the name of the baronetcy to Bromley in 1778 and then in 1803 by royal license assumed the name and arms of Pauncefoteto. According to the history he assumed the name of Pauncefote as a result of inheriting “the whole estate of the family Pauncefote” but Wikipedia says that the change was to Pauncefote-Bromley. I have been told that it was not unusual for people to change their names when they inherited substantial wealth in order to strengthen their claims to the inheritance. Be that as it may be the third baronet Robert who was an admiral in the royal navy dropped the name Pauncefote altogether and thereafter the Baron’s name has been simply Bromley. In 1889 another Baron Pauncefote who was granted. This Baron was born in Munich and it is this Baron Pauncefote who appears in modern editions of books on members of the british peerage.

by MPGriffiths @, Sunday, August 19, 2018, 10:39 (2084 days ago) @ isherwop

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608

http:///www.coaley.net

PAUNTLEY (NEWENT)

William PAUNCEFOOTE - Gentleman

Grimbald PAUNCEFOOTE son of Grimbald PAUNCEFOOT

Richard PYRTON servant to William PAUNCEFOOTE - A60 (age around 60) - tallest stature

by DMF, Monday, August 20, 2018, 19:12 (2083 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Unfortunately for us, this case was settled by arbitration, so no details given of the ancestry of Grimbald or William.

506 PAUNCEFOOTE V PAUNCEFOOTE
John Pauncefoote of Hasfield, co. Gloucester, gent v Grimbold Pauncefoote of Newent, co. Gloucester

November - December 1638

Abstract

John Pauncefoote complained that his family's coat of arms, Gules, three Lions rampant (2 and 1) Argent , had been assumed by Grimbold Pauncefoote who was not of his family, and placed upon the tomb of Grimbold's father in Pauntly church, Gloucestershire. On 6 November 1638 Dr Lewin presented the libel, but Dr Eden claimed that John Pauncefoote was a pauper who had lost his faculties. On 20 November it was agreed that an arbitration should be arranged to end the quarrel before the next term.

Initial proceedings

18/3a, Libel

1. The plaintiff's family had been gentry for up to 200 years and bore on their coat of arms Gules, three lions rampant argent , the arms of the Pauncefootes of Hasfield, co. Gloucester.

2. The defendant was not of this family, but had assumed its arms and placed them on his father's tomb in Pauntley church, co. Gloucester.

Dated 6 November 1638.

Signed by William Lewin.

Summary of proceedings

Dr Lewin acted as counsel for John Pauncefoote and Dr Eden for Grimbold Pauncefoote. On 6 November 1638 Grimbold Pauncefoot was required to appear in person, Dr Lewin presented the libel and Dr Eden was to respond at the next sitting. In Grimbold's defence, Dr Eden claimed John Pauncefoote was a pauper who had lost his faculties, who could not pay expenses or prosecute the cause sufficiently. On 20 November and 19 December 1638 a mediation and arbitration was arranged to end the quarrel.

Notes

G. D. Squibb, Reports of Heraldic Cases in the Court of Chivalry, 1623-1732 (London, 1956), p. 33.

John Pauncefoote was the son of Henry Pauncefoote. John married Agnes, daughter of Sir John St Low. Grimbold Pauncefoote of Pauntley, co. Gloucester, was married to Mary, daughter of John Nourse of Weston, co. Hereford.

J. Maclean and W. C. Heane (eds.), The Visitation of the County of Gloucester, 1623 (Publications of the Harleian Society, 21, 1885), pp. 257-8; T. Fitzroy Fenwick and W. C. Metcalfe (eds.), The Visitation of the County of Gloucester, 1682-3 (Exeter, 1884), p. 127.

Documents

Initial proceedings
Libel: 18/3a (6 Nov 1638)
Proceedings
Proceedings before Maltravers: R.19, fos. 454r-468v (6 Nov 1638)
Proceedings before Maltravers: R.19, fos. 400v-412v (20 Nov 1638)
Proceedings: R.19, fo. 491r (19 Dec 1638)
People mentioned in the case

Eden, Thomas, lawyer
Howard, Henry, baron Maltravers
Lewin, William, lawyer
Nourse, John
Nourse, Mary
Pauncefoote, Agnes
Pauncefoote, Henry
Pauncefoote, Grimbold
Pauncefoote, John, gent
Pauncefoote, Mary
St Low, Alice