Tidenham Chase 1970's (General)

by Joanne, Saturday, May 14, 2005, 16:05 (6926 days ago)

Hi, does anyone happen to know if there is a list of shops for Tidenham Chase in the 1970's and the names of people who managed/owned them? My great-grandfather apparently had a property and Sweet Shop in Tidenham Chase when he died in the early 1970's. His name was William George Edward Jones. It would be great to know if there might be any photos about too.
Joanne.

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by Slowhand-s @, Sunday, May 15, 2005, 06:36 (6926 days ago) @ Joanne

I can't recall shops in Tidenham Chase -- further down the road in Woodcroft I can see a Bakery and small shop but not up on the Chase, just a few cottages and the Church .

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by Joanne Leach @, Lydney, Gloucestershire, England, Sunday, May 15, 2005, 15:01 (6925 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

I guess you could be right about the shop having been in woodcroft rather than on the chase. Would you have been in the area in the early 1970's? Do you recall the shop that you mentioned? The Church, St. Michael and All Angels, is where my g.grandfather is buried on his own in one grave but also in another grave is his wife (my g.grandmother, from whom he had been parted for many years) Her name was Edith Elizabeth Jones (nee Kelly) and there is a memorial to their son on her headstone. His body being buried in Holland after his death fighting in WW2.

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by Allan White @, Tidenham Chase, Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 11:30 (6902 days ago) @ Joanne

Hello Joanne,
I live in Miss Grace's Lane and knew your grandfather "Whistler" Jones.
Yes, his shop was on Tidenham Chase. Sadly his house and shop are no longer there.It was next to the Forestry Commission Car Park and the land has been the subject of several "traveller sit-ins"!
Sorry, I have no photographs but remember him well.
I am a member of the Tidenham Historical Group who are currently compiling a database of people and places of Tidenham 1800s to 1920s.
If I can help you further, I would be glad to do so and perhaps put you in touch with people who knew him better than I did.
Kind regards
Allan White,Highbury Cottage,Tidenham Chase,Chepstow.Mon,NP16 7JR

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by Joanne Leach @, Lydney, Gloucestershire, England, Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 15:19 (6902 days ago) @ Allan White

ยป I knew your grandfather "Whistler" Jones.
He was my great grandfather! Whistler?!! Why was he called that - do you know? His son Thomas Michael Cecil Jones was my grampy (mum's dad). As far as I know great-grampy William died in 1971 (?) so a good 6 years before I was born and I have to say that the very little that has been said to me about him wasn't very nice. Anybody who might've known him and would be able to tell me something about him could lead me to draw own conlusions about him - do you know what I mean. If I might be able to help with anything too just let me know!

Take Care.

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by Allan White @, Tidenham Chase, Wednesday, June 08, 2005, 06:10 (6902 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

Hello Joanne,
Apologise for stating "grandfather", instead of "great grandfather"!
Could I suggest you e-mail me direct at allan@brrsol.co.uk or phone 01291 635881(day)or 01291 689785(eve).

Regards

Allan White

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by JOHN GILBERT @, Saturday, April 24, 2021, 14:42 (1102 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

Hello Joanne , i am looking for the family of William Cecil.dc.1806.m.1788 to Rachel Jones.d.1807. They had a son John Cecil.bc.1792.

Tidenham Chase 1970's

by tutshillboy, Friday, July 17, 2015, 22:28 (3210 days ago) @ Allan White

Long time ago my Dad and me used to Creosote all the Tidenham Parish wooden bus shelters.
Last one was up near Mr Jones little place.
Many years later I was up there long time after he passed away...
found that his"home"was old converted bus with bits tacked on...and tarred paper.
I live in Tidenham area still and get up the Chase a lot.
At one time I was a footpath warden.

RSS Feed of thread