Newland parish (Parish Records)

by philvn @, reading berks, Sunday, February 28, 2016, 14:48 (2972 days ago)

I'm researching my VAUGHAN family in this parish, through photo images of the par. registers online at Ancestry. The entry for a 1724 marriage clearly says "of Whitecroft" but other [Vaughan] entries are less legible, looking like "Whitelieu" or "Whiteleav". As I don't know the Forest area well [and live 90 miles away, I hope someone with local knowledge can tell me if there is more than one "White..." in the area. What is known of works [ironworks?] or mills in the Newland area around 1700-1750?
Phil

--
phil

Newland parish

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Sunday, February 28, 2016, 15:22 (2972 days ago) @ philvn

I can offer you a Whitecliff which is only about a mile NE of Newland itself. Streetmap will find it for you. There was a well-known iron works there too, established around the turn of the 19thC.

Newland parish

by shepway @, Sunday, February 28, 2016, 15:29 (2972 days ago) @ philvn

Just to add to Mike Pinchin's response you may find this webpage of help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitecliff_Ironworks

Mike

Newland parish

by philvn @, reading berks, Sunday, February 28, 2016, 16:00 (2972 days ago) @ shepway

Many thanks to Mike and shepway! your prompt input is just what I needed to fine down my possibilities. ~ Phil

--
phil

RSS Feed of thread