BEDDIS (General)

by sandra @, Forest of Dean, Friday, May 20, 2005, 05:19 (6921 days ago)

I am trying to find out what happened to Lucy, Alice and Jane Beddis after the 1901 census when they were all in service. They came from Ruspidge and were the daughters of George and Ellen Beddis and were the sisters of my Great Grandmother Sarah Beddis. Incidentally they lived at Minty Row....Does anyone know where that was in Ruspidge?

BEDDIS

by Slowhand-s @, Monday, May 23, 2005, 16:25 (6918 days ago) @ sandra

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1904
-------------------------------------------------
Beddis Lucy Westbury on Severn. 6a 609

------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1904
-------------------------------------------------
Beddis Jane Westbury on Severn. 6a 609

-----------------------------------------------

BEDDIS

by sandra @, Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 07:00 (6917 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

Thanks Slowhands,
You wouldn't happen to know the names of the grooms as well would you?
Regards,
Sandra

BEDDIS

by Slowhand-s @, Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 10:15 (6917 days ago) @ sandra

Without the Cert. I can only hazard a guess or two :-)

Lucy -> John Whittington possibly born 1880 Westbury on Severn ( servant in 1901)

Elizabeth Whittington abt 1846 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Wife Gloster & S Wales Road Broadoak, Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
John Whittington abt 1880 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Gloster & S Wales Road Broadoak, Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
William Whittington abt 1832 Kirdford, Sussex, England Head Gloster & S Wales Road Broadoak, Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
William J. Whittington abt 1878 Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Gloster & S Wales Road Broadoak, Westbury On Severn, Gloucestershire, England

Jane -> Alfred Tingle possibly born 1884 Coleford ( miner in 1901)

Catherine Cox abt 1871 Cinderford, Gloucestershire, England Wife Peterstone Glamorgan
Edwin Cox abt 1869 Wortisop, Nottinghamshire, England Head Peterstone Glamorgan
Edwin Cox abt 1892 Ponty Cymmer, Glamorgan, Wales Son Peterstone Glamorgan
Emily Cox abt 1897 Llanharran, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Peterstone Glamorgan
Mary A Cox abt 1895 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Peterstone Glamorgan
Richard E Cox abt 1900 Llanharran, Glamorgan, Wales Son Peterstone Glamorgan
Winifred Cox abt 1898 Llanharran, Glamorgan, Wales Daughter Peterstone Glamorgan
Albert Gwilliam abt 1871 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Lodger Peterstone Glamorgan
Alfred Tingle abt 1884 Coleford, Gloucestershire, England Brother-in-law Peterstone Glamorgan

BEDDIS - TINGLE/COX???

by Jean Cholak @, Friday, May 27, 2005, 00:34 (6914 days ago) @ sandra

Sandra:

I went back and had a look at your previous posts on the FOD message board. I see where "Slowhands" mentioned the possible marriage to Alfred Tingle in 1904. That's about the year I was looking for him to have married. Some of my ancestors (the Tingles)lived in Ruspidge also. These would be your Great Aunts then, correct? And, they were all in the service? Doing what?

Alfred was the brother of my Great Grandmother, Catherine (Kitty) Tingle Cox, as you've probably seen by reading previous posts. They came from Cinderford and Coleford with birth and marriage certificates registered in Westbury on Severn.

Alfred was the only brother of my Catherine and she was particularly fond of him. Apparently, his wife, Jennie, wrote to my Catherine frequently; however, we only have one letter which my Grandmother Winifred Cox Welch had saved and we passed down. This letter mentioned the names of some of their children ("our little Ronald" and "our Freddie" who worked at the P.D. Colbery (?) and "Edwin" who worked at "the Farm" with "Mr. Ree Hendrews" (?). It is hard to make out some of the writing which has faded somewhat and is sort of spidery. I found the other children in the census. That is how I came by their names. She signed her letter as "From your loving Jennie & Family". Do they ring any bells with you as cousins?

The letter had the return address of "Llanharan, Glamorgan, Wales" and was written on January 1, 1933, apparently right after Alfred died because it was full of how much she missed him. The letter also makes mention, "but I often think of Annie's words, after poor Tom was killed. She said, "pray to keep your Man" if he's only sitting in the corner for you have got him to talk to and I feel the same, if only I could speak to him and hear him once more ...".
Sorry if I am giving you too much unnecessary or unwanted information, but thought maybe these names might mean something to you. I believe the "Tom" might have been my Great Grandfather, Edwin's, brother, but I'm not sure since we always were led to believe Tom also came to the USA and died here, but not sure what he died of. He would be on the Cox, not Tingle, side of the family, though, so I wondered if there were a Tom and Annie in your branch?

Please respond and let me know if any of these sound familiar.

Thank you for responding,

Jean Cholak

BEDDIS - TINGLE/COX???

by Slowhand-s @, Friday, May 27, 2005, 09:10 (6914 days ago) @ Jean Cholak

In Service - quaint expression for working for another family.

In my ancestor's case , doing house work for the local Doctor.

regards
S

BEDDIS - TINGLE/COX???

by Slowhand-s @, Friday, May 27, 2005, 11:21 (6914 days ago) @ Jean Cholak

P.D. Colbery (?)

possibly Powell Duffryn Colliery ?

Llanharan - Foresters move west

by Slowhand-s @, Friday, May 27, 2005, 11:46 (6914 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

Llanharan

"This rise in numbers of incomers did not begin with the sinking of pits. It started with the coming of the South Wales Railway in 1850 and continued with the opening of iron mines near Pontyclun and Llanharry.

After 1872 many tin workers also came to live not only in Llanharan village but in "Tin Works Row" near Tylagarw. But when three collieries started to expand to the north and west of Llanharan in the 1880s it was obvious that many more houses were need to accommodate the colliers and their families. Between 1891 and 1901 some 80 new houses were erected and by the turn of the century the expanding village was able to accommodate just over 1000 inhabitants.

Of the incomers many arrived from England, especially from The Forest of Dean, where coal mining was in sharp decline. From 1900 until the Powell Duffryn Colliery closed in 1962 the area westward along the Bridgend Road became the commercial heart of a relatively flourishing mining village that survived even the Depression Years."

by Jean Cholak @, Meadowlands, PA, USA, Saturday, May 28, 2005, 23:13 (6912 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

Slowhands:

This information was of great interest and this is probably what "Jennie" was referring to in her letter to my Gr. Grandmother. However, I was wondering what a "collier" was? Did they work in the tin mines? Would there be any websites with any employee information on the Powell Duffryn Colliery? Is it worth my time to pursue this?

Also, do you have any suggestions on how to locate people born after 1901, since that seems to be the last census available. Why do they stop with 1901? I am interested in locating some distant relatives who may be living in Wales today.

Thank you for the information and any suggestions.

Jean

by Slowhand-s @, Sunday, May 29, 2005, 02:18 (6912 days ago) @ Jean Cholak

Collier = Coal Miner

Powell Duffryn is/was a (large) company involved in mineral extraction and supply, I have a suspicion that the Powell family were from the Llanharan area.

There is a Message board dealing with Welsh Coal mining

The census data is subject to the 100 year confidentiality rule - so we have to wait til 2011 for the 1911 data etc.

by Slowhand-s @, Sunday, May 29, 2005, 02:51 (6912 days ago) @ Jean Cholak

http://www.oldroots.co.uk/inscriptions/

if you follow thi s down through Glamorgan and Llanharan you will find reference to Fred Tingle's burial in Llanharan.

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/board/index.php is the message board I mentioned.

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/ for background etc

http://www.archivesnetworkwales.info/ the Welsh Archives have information on teh Powell Duffryn company and its hospitals etc..

http://www.therhondda.co.uk/ some background on Rhondda coal mines ,and PD - "Poverty and Death" ....

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?txtkeys1=Powell+Duffryn+Colliery for a photo of a miner at teh coal face

RSS Feed of thread