Foord family (General)

by Justin @, Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 00:03 (6916 days ago)

I'm reseaching the Foord family from Wales/England. My earliest Foord is William Foord (c1651-1716/7). He was described as being of Itton and then of broadwell. He was buried at St. Arwans and was the Churchwarden of Itton in 1702.

His eldest son, also William, was the churchwarden of St. Briavels in 1737.
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who knows something about these two, or any other related family.

Thanks,
Justin

Foord family / Monmouthshire

by Slowhand-s @, Wednesday, May 25, 2005, 04:02 (6916 days ago) @ Justin

In Monmouthshire Wills :-

Elizth Foord Chepstow Chepstow Mon widow W LL/1783/27
John Foord Caldicot … Mon widower BI(2) LL/1775/12
John Foord Christchurch The Lakes Mon Gent WB(2X) LL/1836/40
John Foord Itton … Mon Gent W LL/1756/37
Lawrence Foord Christchurch … Mon innholder W LL/1781/28
Lawrence Foord Itton … Mon dyer WI LL/1731/68
Mary Foord St Arvans … Mon widow B(2X) LL/1818/113
Moses Foord Nash … Mon yeoman WI LL/1713/124
Saml Foord Goldcliff … Mon Gent WX LL/1829/49
Wm Foord Caldicot … Mon Gent W LL/1783/20
Francis Foordes Chepstow … Mon baker WI LL/1624/14
Wm Foords Mathern Runston Mon Gent W LL/1717/103

suggesting a "cluster" in the coastal strip between Chepstow and Newport.

Will of John Foord of Chepstow 1773.

In the name of God Amen I John Foord of the Town of Chepstow in the County of Monmouth being in perfect health and sound mind and memory thanks be to Almighty God and knowing how transitory this life is I think it fit to dispose of my worldly estate in manner and form following. First I recommend my soul to Almighty God that gave it and my body to decent burial at the discretion of my wife. Item I give and bequeath to my nephew John Foord senior of Callicott in the County of Monmouth one pound one shilling. Item I give and bequeath to my grand daughter Elizabeth Barnfield one pound one shilling. Item I give and bequeath to my son in law William Gwinel? one pound one shilling. Item I give and bequeath to my trusty friend Mr Joseph Glover five pounds five shillings to buy him a gold ring in remembrance of me. Item I give and bequeath to Ann Holms ten pounds. Item I give and bequeath Elizabeth Philadelphia Gardiner twenty pounds. The above mentioned legacies to be paid by my executrix hereafter named within one year after my decease. Item I give and bequeath to my dear and well beloved wife Elizabeth Foord all my goods chattels lands tenements moneys bonds mortgages securities for money and whatever else I die possessed of I do freely give and bequeath to the afore named Elizabeth Foord who I nominate constitute and appoint to be my whole and sole executrix of this my last will and testament. And I do likewise declare this to be my last will and testament revoking all others formerly made. As witness my hand and seal this eighteenth day of December and in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy and in the eleventh year of the reign of his Majesty King George the Third. John Foord.

Signed sealed published and declared with the interlineations made being first duly stampt in the presence of us. Anthony Gardiner; Mary Gardiner

This will was proved at London the twenty seventh day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy three before the Right Worshipful George Hay, Doctor of Laws &c by the oath of Elizabeth Foord, widow, the relict of the deceased and sole executrix named in the said will to whom administration was granted of all and singular the goods chattells and credits of the said deceased she having been first sworn by Commission duly to administer

Transcribed from a photocopy by Dave Woolven, 2 Aspen Way, Malpas Park, Newport, South Wales. NP20 6LB 4 March 2001

Foord family / Monmouthshire

by Justin @, Monday, May 30, 2005, 07:01 (6911 days ago) @ Slowhand-s

Do you know how to access all of these wills? i found them indexed on Mike John's website some time ago, but I couldn't figure out how I could get a copy. Only the John Foord 1773 will is available as a download on the British archive webiste.

Foord family

by mary atkins, Woolaston, Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 12:03 (6874 days ago) @ Justin

There were Foordes in Woolaston in the c17 :
Thomas Foordes 1604 will at Gloucester Record Office
William Foordes 1627 will at GRO
Richard Fowrds (?) 1650 will at GRO

Could be related knowing the way spelling gets changed Came across William in a court case when I was researching a different family, he was spelt Foord in that. Family seems to have died out or moved from area after c17.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Foord family

by Justin @, Wednesday, July 06, 2005, 20:35 (6873 days ago) @ mary atkins

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your reply. Do you have copies of those wills? A researcher from FOD has since told me that there are a few Foord wills in Woolaston. I have a William Fo(o)rd in my tree who owned a Rodmore estate which I believe is in the FOD region. It seems as if the family moved South to Chepstow, Mathern, Goldcliff areas.

I have also heard from separate sources that the family is meant to have originated from Holland in the 1600s, but this could have been fabricated or be an inaccurate date.

Justin

RSS Feed of thread