Parkend War Memorial (General)

by obscurasky @, Friday, November 30, 2018, 19:48 (1966 days ago)

I'm working on a little history project at the moment to research the eleven men from Parkend who died while fighting in WWI and WWII and whose names appear on the stone plaques at Parkend Memorial Hall.

My objective is to create a temporary display in time for next year's Memorial Day and I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks they may be able to help with information. I'm particularly looking for family members as I'd like to write a short 'back-story' for the men involved.

Many thanks,
Alan.

Parkend War Memorial

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, December 04, 2018, 00:02 (1963 days ago) @ obscurasky

Hi Alan,
welldone on your project, we wish you all the best with it. To find family members you might be better-served writing to the local newspapers.

Meanwhile it would be a great help if you could provide the names of those on the Memorial, I've tried looking online but no luck thus-far.

eg the photos here are not too clear.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/65907

Sorry, beg your pardon, the names and a fair amount of background material about each of these brave men can be found at the end of this webpage.
http://www.deanweb.info/parkend.html

Thanks, Jeff

Parkend War Memorial

by obscurasky @, Tuesday, December 04, 2018, 17:59 (1962 days ago) @ Jefff

Hello Jeff,
Thanks for this. I've seen the information on the deanweb site, but you're right that it may help to list the names of those I'm researching here too. These are the men listed on Parkend War Memorial;

WWI.

Alfred Richard BURROWS, Private 50443, 14th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Henry HOWELLS, Private 12968, 2nd Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.

Leslie James HODGES, Lance Corporal 21146, 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards.

Tom Raymond MOORE, Lance Corporal 18141,13th (Forest of Dean) Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.

George Long MAYO, Lance Corporal 18140, 13th (Forest of Dean) Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment.

WWII.

Douglas Haig BAILEY, Driver T/171162, Royal Army Service Corps.

Hubert Raymond GRIFFITHS, Leading Stoker, Royal Navy.

Frederick George HARDWICK, Lance Corporal 2000772, Royal Engineers.

William JACKSON, Sergeant, 150 Squadron Royal Air Force Bomber Command.

George Edward PREEST, Private 5187409, 2nd Battalion Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's).

Charles William WEBB, Corporal 5114139, 1/7th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

I’m also interested in;

William James RICHARDS, 1/1st Highland Fife Heavy Battery (WWI)

Parkend War Memorial

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, December 04, 2018, 08:59 (1963 days ago) @ obscurasky

Under the Heading

Resources

There is a list of Forest of Dean WW1 Servicemen

if you put a % in the surname

and type in Residence: PARKEND (95 names)

There is a list of all the Men who served in WW1

and the first one is

Frank BAGHURST
Private
Regiment: 8th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment
Service Number: 12936
Residence: Yorkley/Parkend

Enlisted, September 1914 KIA 30 July 1916
Remembered or Buried in Thiepval Memorial, Piers anf Face 5A and 5B

Otherwise Charles Frank

others (so far KIA)

Alfred Richard BURROWS
Bert James CRADDOCK
Frank Robert Martin ELLWAY
Eli Herbert JAMES
William FENNEL

Parkend War Memorial

by obscurasky @, Tuesday, December 04, 2018, 17:40 (1962 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks for the response. I've had a good root through the WWI servicemen lists, but for now I'm just concentrating on those who died - although Parkend Memorial also lists those who served in WWI too. It's interesting to note that not all those who, apparently, gave their address as Parkend appear on the plaque - I wonder what their criteria was?

RSS Feed of thread