Harry Pace (General)

by Gemmalula, Monday, July 29, 2019, 23:53 (1704 days ago)

Hi all, I am trying to locate a grave. It’s a bit of a mystery.. allegedly buried in Clearwell, although I have heard Newlands. The only real clue is that of the grave is located near to that of Harry Pace the sheep farmer. (There has been previous threads on here regarding the murder trial). Does anyone know if Mr Pace is buried in Clearwell and if so a rough location of the grave. Many thanks

Harry Pace

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 00:38 (1704 days ago) @ Gemmalula

The BNA is littered with reports of the case of Harry PACE. An article in the Gloucestershire Echo - Tuesday 13 March 1928 - shows that he was indeed interred at Clearwell.

Harry Pace

by Gemmalula, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 11:06 (1704 days ago) @ Mike Pinchin

Yeah I had seen the reports, Just heard mixed things so was trying to confirm. There doesn’t appear to be a burial plan freely available either for the graveyard. It might not help that there are a number of inaccessible graves within the bushes / behind the trees. Looks like random plots no sort of order and not exactly lined up / spacing. I can see it has been strummed recently. Guess they are not planning to cut it right back to reveal the hidden graves

Harry Pace

by HarryBrook @, Thursday, August 01, 2019, 08:00 (1702 days ago) @ Gemmalula

The burial register for Clearwell cemetery records the burial of Harry Pace as taking place on 17 January 1928, aged 36 years, abode - "Fetter Hill Pitch in Clearwell".

The Forest of Dean Branch of the Glos. F.H.S. recorded the memorial inscriptions for this cemetery about 10 years ago. Looking at this record, there is no inscription recorded for Harry Pace, so it can reasonably be concluded that his grave is unmarked.

The burial register records no references as to any kind of system of recording the location of the burial plot within the cemetery.

What was the name of the deceased you are trying to trace?

Harry Pace

by Gemmalula, Friday, August 02, 2019, 13:39 (1701 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Thanks for looking.

William Johns buried 1937 next to / possibly same plot as wife Eliza buried 1929.

Note this not William Johns 1948 ( grave is behind the tree line ) or William Johns 1986 (bottom end of the cemetery on right hand side)

Thanks

William JOHNS

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, August 02, 2019, 15:08 (1701 days ago) @ Gemmalula

There is a previous long thread

William JOHNS (c. 1841 - 1937) ‘King of the Gipsies’

12 March 2012

With a link to a film clip of “Viney Hill, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire

Funeral service of Romany Gypsy Petulengro at the British Pathe site

Harry Pace

by HarryBrook @, Friday, August 02, 2019, 19:41 (1701 days ago) @ Gemmalula

Sorry to say, there was no memorial inscription recorded for Eliza Johns, died 1929, or William Johns died 1937.

Harry Pace

by Gemmalula, Saturday, August 03, 2019, 13:30 (1700 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Thanks for looking Harry,

Is there any Johns listed ? Just wondering if the ones I have discovered in the bushes are recorded or not.

Harry Pace

by HarryBrook @, Saturday, August 03, 2019, 20:57 (1700 days ago) @ Gemmalula

There were two Johns' graves recorded.

William Johns 1903 - 1986 and Edith May Johns [his wife] 1905 - 1990.

Harriet Johns died Sept. 18. 1952 aged 65 years.

If the other Johns' grave you mentioned in the bushes was inaccessible because of the undergrowth it is possible it was not recorded if it was necessary to cut away any of the undergrowth - the recorders generally not wishing to cause any disturbance to the state of the cemetery by leaving cut undergrowth there. Similarly any headstones found collapsed face down are not moved to access the inscription face.

Harry Pace

by Gemmalula, Sunday, August 04, 2019, 19:14 (1699 days ago) @ HarryBrook

Thank you, Harriet Johns husband David is in the immediate plot next to Harriet’s. I can tell that there are a number of headstones that have ended up face down with grass growing over (just corners poking out) so he could still be there. Do you have a list of Newlands by any chance ? Thanks again

Harry Pace

by HarryBrook @, Monday, August 05, 2019, 12:34 (1698 days ago) @ Gemmalula

Sorry, I do not have any of the M.Is. for Newland churchyard.

RSS Feed of thread