Alfred Edwin Kingsford (1852-1905) (Parish Records)

by LarryBennett, Monday, August 03, 2020, 17:32 (1356 days ago)

Hi, I'm currently looking for the burial place of Alfred Edwin Kingsford, former organist and choirmaster of the parish church in Chepstow, as well as being an estate agent/auctioneer, purveyor of non-alcohoic cider (with Charles Rake) and freemason. Apparently he instigated the purchase of Chepstow Castle for the town in the 1890s. He died in 1905 and a grand funeral took place in the town, but I cannot locate his final resting place. Any ideas for information will be very welcome! Many thanks.
Larry

Alfred Edwin Kingsford (1852-1905)

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, August 03, 2020, 17:35 (1356 days ago) @ LarryBennett

Details of his burial, including the grave reference, can be found in the Parish Records on this site. Go to Resources - Parish Records.

--
Peter

by LarryBennett, Monday, August 03, 2020, 17:39 (1356 days ago) @ LarryBennett

Just found it! However would love to receive further information on Alfred and his family as he is my partner's great-great grandfather.

Many thanks

Larry

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Monday, August 03, 2020, 17:41 (1356 days ago) @ LarryBennett

When you search the PRs, just put his surname only. You'll find several other records for his family.

--
Peter

by LarryBennett, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 18:23 (1355 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for this - I've now found the references for the grave in Chepstow Municipal Cemetery, and those of his family. Alfred Edwin is buried in the same grave as his wife Sarah and child Mary.

We visited the graveyard today and spent some time looking for his grave and headstone but sadly we could not locate it. The reference on the record was Plot E number 88, RPG No 227, but without any indication of where they are located they weren't of much use.

I presume I will need to contact someone at the county council to find a map of the cemetery with Plot areas - unless there is a resource on this site somewhere?

I live in Somerset so not too far to travel over the Severn Bridge, and we intend to try again as soon as we have more information.

Larry

RSS Feed of thread