Thomas Gwinnett marriage to Hesther Morrice 1743 (Parish Records)

by Susan_King @, Tuesday, October 27, 2020, 22:04 (1269 days ago)

Hello!

I am new here, so please forgive any posting errors. (I have read the guidelines, though.)

I am looking at the transcription of a parish record for this marriage in Tirley. I was hoping to find a marriage of Thomas Gwinnett to a Hesther ??? about this time in Barnwood, but I see that Tirley is close by. (I was looking to determine the maiden name of the Hesther he married before their first child was born in 1744.)

The transcription here reads that bride and groom residences are "Barnard".

Can anyone tell me where "Barnard" is? Is it possible that "Barnard" is actually Barnwood?

Thank you for your consideration,

Susan King

Thomas Gwinnett marriage to Hesther Morrice 1743

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 08:51 (1268 days ago) @ Susan_King

Looking at the marriage on Ancestry (also on the Forest of Dean transcript the record does state by LICENCE, but don't appear in the Forest of Dean Licence transcripts.

Original says (some of the writing a bit faded...)

Thos GWINNET and HESTER MORRICE by LICENCE - (not quite clear to read.... ) 18th
both of Parish of Barnard

Barnwood

John son of Thomas GWINNETT & Hester his Wife was baptised June 7th 1761.

(Probably Thomas is going up and down the River Severn)

---

There are LICENCES/BONDS etc for GWINNETT, Barnwood, in the Forest of Dean Records.

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 09:20 (1268 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Just looking at the Wills of the MORRIS family in BARNWOOD....

John MORRIS' Will of 1771

Talks about his Nephew, Thomas GWINETT - and Mary COUGHTON ...... who now lives with me.....

by Susan_King @, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 17:41 (1268 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks again! Wills are such great sources. I've found this on Ancestry; can't read much of it, but the parts that you quoted are clear.

Will see if I can understand how this might help me confirm that Hesther Morris/Morrice is the gal I'm looking for.

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, October 29, 2020, 08:25 (1267 days ago) @ Susan_King

When searching the Licence/Marriage Bonds (or the Parish Records)

It is best to use the Soundex on the Surname e.g.

GWYNETT/GWINNETT/GWINNETT/GWINATT/GUINETT/GWMNETT - all appear in the records.

The Licence usually shows more information, occupation, age etc (Bond not so much info) -- So there can be two copies in the records i.e. Licence and Bond.

by Susan_King @, Thursday, October 29, 2020, 17:30 (1267 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

When searching the Licence/Marriage Bonds (or the Parish Records)

It is best to use the Soundex on the Surname e.g.

GWYNETT/GWINNETT/GWINNETT/GWINATT/GUINETT/GWMNETT - all appear in the records.

The Licence usually shows more information, occupation, age etc (Bond not so much info) -- So there can be two copies in the records i.e. Licence and Bond.

Yes, thanks for the tip.

by Susan_King @, Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 17:39 (1268 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you so much. Yes, I have 11 children born to Thomas and Hesther in Barnwood which is why I was looking for the marriage in the same parish.

The marriage allegations will be an excellent source for me, I think; I'll look at all the ones in the places of residence for the family that I know about so far.

by Susan_King @, Thursday, October 29, 2020, 17:35 (1267 days ago) @ Susan_King

I unsubscribed to this thread by accident. I'm hoping by clicking on the email box below it will turn it back on!

by Bethany @, Sunday, November 01, 2020, 15:38 (1264 days ago) @ Susan_King

Hi Susan

This is definitely the marriage for Thomas Gwinnet(t) of Barnwood and Hester Morrice (sometimes Morris). I do not know why they married at Tirley. There was an earlier Gwinnett marriage there in 1674 but not with a direct ancestor of Thomas. Thomas was a victualler.

I run a Gwinnett One-Name Study so have a lot of information on the Gwinnetts. If you need any help, contact me on lizjack.gloster@gmail.com

by Susan_King @, Monday, November 02, 2020, 00:08 (1264 days ago) @ Bethany

Hi Susan

This is definitely the marriage for Thomas Gwinnet(t) of Barnwood and Hester Morrice (sometimes Morris). I do not know why they married at Tirley. There was an earlier Gwinnett marriage there in 1674 but not with a direct ancestor of Thomas. Thomas was a victualler.

I run a Gwinnett One-Name Study so have a lot of information on the Gwinnetts. If you need any help, contact me on lizjack.gloster@gmail.com

Wow, fabulous! Thanks for the confirmation and also the offer of assistance, as well as introducing me to One-Name Studies which I had never heard of!

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Monday, November 02, 2020, 21:03 (1263 days ago) @ Susan_King

Hi Susan

Welcome to the FOD Forum.
I don't know whether this may help but do a John Morris/Morrice or George Gwinnett or John Gwinnett feature in your family tree ?
If so, let me know as the Gwinnett have come up as land occupiers on Tithe apportionments data base (1838) and John Morris as land owner in Barnwood Parish on a pre Enclosure map.
I can then give you more information.

Sid Toomey

by Susan_King @, Tuesday, November 03, 2020, 00:32 (1263 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hi Susan

Welcome to the FOD Forum.
I don't know whether this may help but do a John Morris/Morrice or George Gwinnett or John Gwinnett feature in your family tree ?
If so, let me know as the Gwinnett have come up as land occupiers on Tithe apportionments data base (1838) and John Morris as land owner in Barnwood Parish on a pre Enclosure map.
I can then give you more information.

Sid Toomey

Yes, definitely! I'd love to receive more information, please

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, November 03, 2020, 05:34 (1263 days ago) @ Susan_King

Hi
Once you get to know how to use this site ,it can provide some useful information, especially if your Ancestor was a landowner, copyholder or leaseholder.
It is called "Know Your Place- Gloucestershire"
I believe there might be others for different Counties.

https://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=glos

Once you enter the site you should see a split screen with two maps side by side. Dragging the vertical bar separating them will increase or decrease the view of each map. When i do it, the maps appear to be centred on Gloucester.

On the right hand side of the screen is a box with sa few headings.
Click on Information layers then enter "Barnwood" in the search box.
There then should be a drop down list of items of interest relating to Barnwood which have been submitted by different volunteers.
Go to the last one and click on the Blue "map".
This should bring you to the two maps showing St Lawrence's Church and the surrounding area.
Then click on the right hand side again for "Base Maps"
This should give you a series of thumbnails with a description of each.
At the top there will be "Main Map" and "Comparison Map".
Under main map, scroll down and click on " 1840- Pre Gloucestershire Enclosures". This should show you a map with the names of landholders etc. You can drag this around for coverage.
Under "Comparison Map" click on "1844-1888 OS 25inch First Edition" This should show you a map dated a bit after the Enclosures map".
You can then substitute other maps for comparisons.
Note that not all maps are available for all parts of Gloucestershire.

On the maps you might notice some green squares. click on one of them and you will see more information which might include a photograph . I believe this is what has been provided by the volunteers.

If you click on "Information Layers" again and then "List" you should get a drop down box of other items you can overlay on to the maps. Some of them might be coloured lines for example. I clicked on one of them in the Church Graveyard and found that there was an Archaeological dig of that area which yielded some Tudor Era remains of a child and coffin etc. Digging deeper in to these items sometimes will take you to other sites with more information.

It all doesn't magically find an Ancestor but can sometimes provide that missing link and for someone like myself who doesn't live in the Uk, it helps me understand the Geography of the area better than my school teacher ever could more than half a century ago.

I think it could be useful when searching for Mining Localiteies in the Forest.
I hope you might find this of help in your search.

Also, with that horrid Covid 19 stuff going on, it can provide something interesting to do rather than watching reruns of Neighbours.

Take care.

Sid Toomey.

PS I will send you the link and information on the Tithe Apportionments maps after i work through a couple of samples.

by Susan_King @, Wednesday, November 04, 2020, 20:29 (1261 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Thanks, Sid, for the map link and very detailed instructions. They were perfect. I'm in Canada and am finding the geography of my ancestors both interesting and challenging, so this is a great find! I'm always looking for maps to help me understand the lay of the land, although I confess Google Maps seems to be my quick fix!

Thanks, again,

Susan

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, November 05, 2020, 04:03 (1261 days ago) @ Susan_King

Hi

This message is about another source which sometimes provides information to help with finding out more detail of where an Ancestor lived in the UK. I am still learning how to get the most out of it so you will have to forgive me if i send you up a deadens.

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/finding-items-in-our-collections/tithe-appo...

This is the Tithe Apportionments Data Base for Gloucestershire. My limited understanding is that in the 1830/40's in Britain laws were passed which would allow the "Tithes" to be paid on land by cash rather than by crops etc as was the practice historically. To achieve this new Tithe Maps were drawn up showing every plot of land together with improvements where this would apply. The apportionments are the written lists of landowners and occupiers for those plots together with a description and a plot number which can be used to find the plot on the Tithe Map. (The Tithe maps are found on Know Your Place- Gloucestershire which i described in my previous message. Note that the Tithe maps do not appear for all areas of Gloucestershire. This is the case in the example i am using today)
When you log in to the above link you should see a page where on the right hand side there is a link "Tithe Apportionments". Click on this and it should take you to a search page.
Enter "Gwinnett" into the occupier box and hit search.
You should then get two Gwinnetts. Both of them outside the Forest of Dean.
The first one i have used as the example and this should hold for any searches you do for your Morrice/Morris forebears in Barnwood.
Plot No. 848 ,George Gwinnett, Cottage and Garden 1 rood 18 perches with Mary Lamb as the owner.

Next, a search of "Know your place-Gloucestershire" will give you an OS Map for the 1840's and later but no tithe map.

I searched George Gwinnett of Stroud in the 1841 Ancestry Census and found he was 70 and lived with his wife and others in the area. he house he lived in was hard to read completely so go to page one of the Census enumerators report. Luckily in this instance there are only 6 pages. The description of the area covered in the Census report gives a few names of houses etc to look for on a map.

Remember that good spelling wasn't a strong point in Britain in those days. Also, Census information was collected on foot and the enumerator often followed a logical path which can sometimes be followed on a map of the area surveyed/published as close as possible to the date of the information you are working on.

This search is a bit tricky to find on the OS map.

What you will be looking for is "Mackhouse" where George Gwinnett lived in 1841. (Is doesn't exist today unfortunately).
It was on the bottom edge of "Mackhouse Wood"
North West of "Chambers Farm" (A listed building)
North of "Quarhouse" (from the Census Report)
South East of "Lower Lyppiatt" (Lower Lyppiatt Tithing from the Census Report)

On "Know your place- Gloucestershire" if you use the most recent published map, and search for "Toadsmore House" (as Chambers farm is now known) Brimbscombe, Stroud. you should be able to find it and then use an early OS map as comparison on your split screen.

If you are interested in more details about the areas your Ancestors lived and their neighbours there are at least a couple more sites i can suggest which have heaps of information which can sometimes be of help. Let me know if you want the details.

Remember the above process can be applied to almost any ancestor and area to locate more information.

Good luck with your search and have fun. I hope that after all this, he is one of your Ancestors.

Sid Toomey

by Susan_King @, Thursday, November 05, 2020, 20:01 (1260 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Thanks, Sid. Another fun and useful find!

RSS Feed of thread