Hawkins Family of Newland and Coleford (General)

by Woollysheep, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 13:49 (1191 days ago)

I have used your excellent resources here (and Ancestry) to research my ancestors back 10 generations (mainly named William or Thomas Hawkins) to Richard Hawkins, son of Henry and Jane baptised 1677. Most were baptised, married and buried at Newland. Most were listed as stonemason, quarryman, stonecutter. My branch of the family left the area in 1880's when my Great-Grandfather Thomas (born 1855) moved to Yorkshire to work in a quarry (although he did return for a while). I would like to understand what life was like for the generations between 1600s to 1880s living around Newland and involved in quarrying. Could anyone recommend any books/ resources about living in that area and/or working with stone. Thanks

Hawkins Family of Newland and Coleford

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 16:28 (1191 days ago) @ Woollysheep

I've checked with Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608 - which is on the net to see if there were any Hawkins in Newland...

There isn't - there are two Millstone Hewer's

David TRESTID and David TYDDER.

British History on Line - Newland - mentions these two (not by name) - and says, probably working quarries by the Wye near Lower Redbrook Hamlet.

There is also a James HAUKINSON - son of Richard Baptised at Newland in 1619.

Reading Portrait of Gloucestershire by T A Ryder -

Two miles to the east of Newland is Clearwell - made of local sandstone, so assume they were quarrying sandstone.

Surname seems also to be spelt HAWKYNS

by Woollysheep, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 16:48 (1191 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Hi Thanks for the reply. I may be getting mixed up with places. The parish records on here for most of the Hawkins I found were Newland and/or Coleford and the occupations of fathers if listed were something working with stone. Did Newland Church cover a wide area of families?

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 16:52 (1191 days ago) @ Woollysheep

I am just looking at The National Archives, just Google A2a

and searching for Hawkins,

These are held at Gloucestershire Archives

29 Aug 1742

Affidavits of Joh WORGAN, carpet, Michael Barrett, Carpr, Tho HAWKINS, mason, all of Newland, Thos WHITE, Carpr, & John Milson, wheelwright both of St Briavells

Re want of repairs of the Copper Works at Upper Redbrook in Newland

and another one

Household and personal bills of Chris. Bond includes bills from tutor and dancing mater...... and ends up by saying mason's work on Coleford chapel (Rich HAWKINS).

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 16:56 (1191 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

If you use

GENUKI

Full Contents, Gloucestershire

and click on Parish: Newland - there is a write up from 1868

Newland, a parish in the hundred of St Briavel's county Gloucester, 3 miles from Coleford, and 4 S.E. of Monmouth. The Parish, which is extensive, comprises the chapelries of Bream and Coleford, with the tythings of Clearwell, Lea-Bailey, and Newland and the hamlets of Upper and Lower Redbrook. etc. etc.

by Woollysheep, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 17:08 (1191 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you. I will look at those resources too. Can you recommend any good local history books about life in the area 17th - 19th century?

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 17:22 (1191 days ago) @ Woollysheep

Go into

Google Books

and search. Had a quick look searching Forest of Dean

RSS Feed of thread