Saint Briavels Baptism Records Query (Parish Records)

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 13:01 (1130 days ago)

Good afternoon

Do any baptism records exist for Saint Briavels for 1719 to 1722?

I ask, because in looking for the children of William Gough (1691-1773) and his wife Catherine/Katherine nee Portrey (1698-1733) I can find the first son

Richard - baptised November 29th 1719

and the fourth son

George - baptised April 27th 1723

but I cannot find the second and third sons

James - born between 1719 and 1721
William - born c1722

I was wondering if this was because there were no records at all for 1719-1722? I widened the search to all parishes covered here in case the church had been closed for repair or something and they had had to go to a neighbouring parish, but did not find them elsewhere either.

Best Regards
Jon Davies

Saint Briavels Baptism Records Query

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 18:43 (1129 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

The St Briavels baptisms are on Ancestry (states they are a transcript - but in very old handwriting).

There are baptisms for the years you are searching - had a look (no baptisms).

'An exact copy of the Register Book kept in the Parish of St briavels in the County of Gloucester containing all christeniengs, weddings and burials .... have happened within the said Parish from Mar 2.. th 1718 to Mar 2...th 1719. etc. etc

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 18:52 (1129 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

Ancestry

Monmouthshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms,

23 August 1720

James GOFFE

Baptism place: Chepstow, Monmouthshire

father: William

Mother: Catharine

and the same place.

William GOUGH

baptism - 8 February 1721 - parents: William & Catharine

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 19:55 (1129 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you very much

What would you rate the confidence of these being the records I am looking for?

The names, dates and parents match and I see that Saint Briavels and Chepstow are only 8 miles apart, which I would never have known

Best Regards
Jon

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 20:53 (1129 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

?

As I have no idea of your research - and can see a tree on Ancestry - which gives Catherine PORTREY's place of birth as 1698 in Ynsycedwyn, Brecksonhire, Wales.

? Where did their marriage take place

? What occupation was Wiliam GOUGH

PORTREY isn't a name (or variations of - on the Forest of Dean Records) - on Ancestry the surname appears to be in Wales.

I would be quite happy with the baptisms in Chepstow -

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 21:09 (1129 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Catherine Portrey was [eventual] heiress to the Ynyscedwyn estate in Ystradgynlais, in the Swansea Valley. She married William Gough, of Willsbury, Saint Briavels - quite how this came to be, I do not know.

Their SON William Gough, the one whose date of birth/baptism I was looking for became a Royal Navy officer, by 1758 captain of a ship of the line

I am researching the origins of the Gough family accession to Ynyscedwyn - by the marriage of William (snr) and Catherine it initially went to their eldest son Richard, who by 1745 is hanging out with Christopher Portrey in Wales, as his clear heir.

Eventually William Gough junior's sons would accede as squires of Ynyscedwyn, after the 2nd brother, James, had exercised power over the estate, whilst also being Rector. William Junior himself never had any connection as far I have yet seen (yet).

Regards
Jon

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 20:13 (1122 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

May I ask why the search of the parish records on here for Chepstow does not bring back either of those records?

Would the source of those records also tell you whether there were a John and a Jane, children of William and Katherine? Theophilus Jones includes them, but I cannot find any evidence of them

Best Regards
Jon

by grahamdavison @, Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 22:32 (1122 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

The earliest Chepstow baptisms on this site are 1725.

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 23:05 (1122 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Ah great, thank you!

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Thursday, April 01, 2021, 23:53 (1114 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Are there any Chepstow records for 1721 or 1724 for a John or a Jane Gough, children of William and Catherine? They are mentioned on a plaque in Ystradgynlais church and Theophilus Jones thus lists them in the family tree (without dates) but I have been unable to locate them

Best Regards
Jon

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 09:51 (1114 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

Googling:

children of William Gough and Elizabeth PORTREY

-

BRITISH HISTORY ONLINE

House of Lord Journal Volume: 28 December 1755

Petition of Gough & al. for a Bill to sell Portrey's Estate, refererred to Judges

Upon reading the Petition of William GOUGH of Willsbury in the County of Gloucester Gentlemen, and of Richard GOUGH his Eldest Son now called Richard Gough Awbrey...., James GOUGH, William GOUGH and John GOUGH, his Younger Sons by Catherine GOUGH, deceased.

it goes on to say

William LUCAS and Elizabeth his Wife, only Daughter of the said William GOUGH by the said Catherine GOUGH his Wife.....

(no mention of a Jane)

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Friday, April 02, 2021, 18:40 (1113 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Fantastic, thank you!

http://www.ystradgynlais-history.co.uk/james-gough-aubrey.html
is our page for James Gough Aubrey, and it shows the memorial he put up.

Does the article/extract you quoted continue? I'd really like to know the whole story to this!

Lovely to see John's name there. There are certainly enough years where Catherine was still alive that John could have been born as the youngest (*surviving) son - 1724, 1726, 1727, 1729, 1730, 1731, even 1733. Charles is born and died 1732, so while he was probably the youngest son born, he clearly was not a surviving son.

Best Regards
Jon

by grahamdavison @, Thursday, March 18, 2021, 12:44 (1129 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

I see that MPGriffiths has answered your query, however, in the meantime I have checked the transcripts against the parish registers and the Bishop`s Tranacripts and found that everything is OK.

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Friday, March 19, 2021, 17:53 (1127 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Thank you. That is very useful to know. Whilst William Gough is my immediate interest, I will need to branch out in the family later to understand who everyone is in the estate papers of the turn of the 18th century,

Best Regards
Jon

by 10noyrum @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 13:18 (1114 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

Some years ago I did some work on the Gough family of Ynyscedwyn. I thought there might be a relationship to my ancestor Thomas Morgan of Lydney born about 1640. In the event, I could find no relationship. I can send you a summary of what I found. This would best be done by e-mail but I cannot see a way of doing this since the little envelope does not appear next to your name.

by admin2 @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 15:02 (1114 days ago) @ 10noyrum

Hi

Either Jon_ystrad changes his settings to allow email and his envelope will appear for you to use

or he can email you by clicking on your envelope and send you the direct email he wants you to use.

Regards

Paul

--
Admin 2

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Friday, April 02, 2021, 18:53 (1113 days ago) @ 10noyrum

Thank you, that would be fantastic!

I've updated my settings here so hopefully it is now possible to click on my envelope

Best Regards
Jon

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 19:33 (1113 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

If you Google as I did: children of william gough and elizabeth portrey (BHO British History on Line)

House of Lords Journal Volume 28: December 1755

(there is the actual pages) - been trying to find the actual page for a number) still looking.

This is how it comes up transcribed....

PRAYERS

Petition of Gough & al. for a Bill to sell Portrey's Estate, referred to Judges

Upon reading the Petition of William Gough of Willsbury in the County of Gloucester Gentleman, and of Richard Gough his Eldest Son now called Richard Gough Awbrey, James Gough, William Gough, and John Gough, his Younger Sons by Catherine Gough his late Wife deceased (who was the Daughter of Christopher Portrey late of Yniskendin in the County of Brecon, deceased, and Sister of Richard Portrey the Eldest Son and Heir, and also Sister of Christopher Portrey and John Portrey the Younger Sons of the said Christopher Portrey her Father, all since deceased) and of William Lucas and Elizabeth Lucas his Wife, only Daughter of the said William Gough by the said Catherine Gough his Wife; and also of Matthew Pryce Esquire; praying Leave to bring in a Bill, for Sale or Mortgage of a competent Part of certain Estates, in the Counties of Brecon, Glamorgan, and Carmarthen, devised by the Will of Richard Portrey Esquire, deceased, for discharging of Debts and Encumbrances:

It is Ordered, That the Consideration of the said Petition be, and is hereby, referred to Mr Justice Clive and Mr Justice Bathhurst; who are forthwith to summon all Parties concerned in the Bill; and, after hearing them, are to report to the House the State of the Case, with their Opinion thereupon, under their hands, and whether all Parties who may be concerned in the Consequences of the Bill have signed the Petition; and also that the Judges, having perused the Bill, do sign the same.

by MPGriffiths @, Friday, April 02, 2021, 19:43 (1113 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The Journals of the Houfe of Lords 1755

Page 445 - just at the bottom right starts with

PRAYERS

Upon reading the Petition of William Gough of Wilfbury in the County of Glouefter Gentlmen, and of Richard GOUGH his Eldeft Son
and continutes on Page 446

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Friday, April 02, 2021, 22:50 (1113 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

This is brilliant, thank you

Do you have a URL for it?

The problem with trying to replicate your Google search is that yours is based on your search history and will bring up in prominence things like this, whilst mine is based on an entirely different search history and I cannot find this even drilling down a couple of pages

Best Regards
Jon

by MPGriffiths @, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 07:45 (1113 days ago) @ jon_ystrad

Jon

Try Googling

https:www.british-history.ac.uk Lords Vol 28

You should get quite quite a few Journals come up.

by jon_ystrad ⌂ @, Ystradgynlais, Powys, Saturday, April 03, 2021, 14:30 (1113 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Ah thank you! This is all completely new to me. I'll have a good look over the weekend.

RSS Feed of thread