St Briavels (General)

by izzybfw @, Monday, May 03, 2021, 15:14 (1060 days ago)

Hi - i am looking for some advise and information.

Firstly i am interested in St Mary's Church St Briavels, does anyone know if the graves in the churchyard been transcribed and if so where can i get them. I did find a fiche, but i don't have a reader.

Also i intend coming to the area soon - i am researching the Court family who were cabinet makers of Bristol and they had an estate in St Briavels 17-18th centuries, there are supposed to be a few of them in the church yard and there is a Memorial Plaque in the church for Charles Court. What archives/FHS should i visit when i am in the area, for the best information about the Courts from St Briavels - Bristol or Gloucester? or where else?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

St Briavels

by grahamdavison @, Monday, May 03, 2021, 22:42 (1059 days ago) @ izzybfw

The Bigland MI transcipts for St Briavels, cane be found in the Documents & Articles asection under Resources. The cover late 17C to mid 18C and include 4 COURT enries.

St Briavels

by izzybfw @, Monday, May 03, 2021, 23:03 (1059 days ago) @ grahamdavison

Many Thanks for that,the dates and names all fit in, i am trying to plan to visit the church, i know there are more court's there i.e Charles in 1819

St Briavels

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 08:29 (1059 days ago) @ izzybfw

Googling: Photographs St Briavels Church

There is a photograph of the Monument Memorial of Charles COURT

This Monument is erected as a Tribute of well deserved affection to the respected Memory of CHARLES COURT late of the City of Bristol who lies interred in this Church, He was a Man of the most excellent Morals, his Manners were mild unassuming and cheerful in the performance of every relative and special Duty he was truly exemplary but particularly in the Characters of HUSBAND and FATHER in which his Virtues were eminently displayed. He died after a long affliction born with pious Resignation to the Divine Will on the 11 day of July 1819. Aged 54 years.
My Flesh also shall rest in hope. Psalm 16V 9

St Briavels

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 08:44 (1059 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

The Will of
Charles COURT
Residence: Bristol
Probate Date: 3 September 1819
Death Year: 1819

is on Ancestry:

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858

(just reading it through)

St Briavels

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 09:08 (1059 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Just looking at Canterbury WILLS on Ancestry

Listed as

Thomas COURT
Residence: Saint Brigwells, Gloucestershire, England
Probate Date: 25 September 1781
Death Year: 1781

should read: Saint Briavels

St Briavels

by izzybfw @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 12:24 (1059 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Many thanks for this - i have not come across the Thomas will - will go and have a look at it - i have seen the Charles will which i am sure goes on for about 15 pages as he kept on adding codicils :)

St Briavels

by izzybfw @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 13:34 (1059 days ago) @ grahamdavison

The William and Sarah buried in St briavels are my 6 x great grandparents

St Briavels

by MPGriffiths @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 15:19 (1059 days ago) @ izzybfw

izzy

Just in case you haven't used the (apologizes if you have!) - not sure what info you are searching for etc.

----

Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations 1747-1837 - and Marriage Bonds - 1730 - 1823

(Under the Heading: RESOURCES) on this website.

There are your family members listed - (mostly two copies, one being the Bond, the other being the Licence).

Having a quick read about the COURT Cabinet Makers of Bristol - John COURT - was the father and his Marriage Licence and Bond is in the above records.

Record ID 1464 (which is the Licence) - 2 Jan 1758

John COURT - aged 25, Batchelor, Cabinet Maker, St Augustine's
Martha EVANS - aged 25, Spinster, residence: St Briavels

sworn before S JONES to marry at St Briavels

the second records - Bond - gives two witness names:

James BAKER a Bricklayer of Monmouth and Wm COURT.

St Briavels

by izzybfw @, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 19:38 (1059 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thanks for that info - i intend coming to Bristol soon to go to St Briavels and Bristol, John Court cabinet maker is my 5x great grandfather. I have been reading up on the 2 son's, apparently they made the furniture for John Pinny's new house in the late 18th c, which is now the Georgian House museum and there is still some of their original furniture in the house - will be interesting to see.

This is a very useful site, i am working my way through the resources.

RSS Feed of thread