Albert Edward Prosser born 1878 in Lydney & wife Ada (General)

by joe guttridge, Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 11:04 (910 days ago)

I want to trace this man to help an old friend piece together his fathers ancestry. His father Tom Prosser, a long serving policeman in the Forest of Dean & Gloucestershire was an orphan from Lydney originally.I believe his father Albert was an old contemptible, joining the Devonshire regiment in 1914 & was discharged with a disability in 1919, at which time he was living with his brother Harvey Charles Prosser at Primrose Hill near Lydney.
I believe he died around 1921 or 1922.
His Mother, born Ada Sophie Clift, died in 1916 & is buried in Lydney.
The family were from Primrose Hill, near Lydney, where they worked at the tinplate works.
Any information, relating to the circumstances of the death of either Ada or Albert (war memorials?) would help me piece together a story for an old friend, John Prosser, who is now unable to do so himself & would be fascinated to learn more

Albert Edward Prosser born 1878 in Lydney & wife Ada

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 14:44 (909 days ago) @ joe guttridge

These appear to be the GRO entries for their deaths. The death certificates would give information about the cause of death.

PROSSER, ALBERT EDWARD 42
GRO Reference: 1922 D Quarter in LLANELLY Volume 11A Page 1069

PROSSER, ADA SOPHIA 28
GRO Reference: 1916 J Quarter in CHEPSTOW Volume 11A Page 12

--
Peter

Albert Edward Prosser born 1878 in Lydney & wife Ada

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 14:47 (909 days ago) @ probinson

This is probably Edward's birth which shows 1880 not 1878. Mother's surname Ayland.

PROSSER, ALBERT EDWARD AYLAND
GRO Reference: 1880 D Quarter in CHEPSTOW Volume 11A Page 14

--
Peter

Marriage of Albert Edward Prosser

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 14:57 (909 days ago) @ probinson

[image]

Would be useful to know what you already have as I may just be duplicating your efforts.

--
Peter

by joe guttridge, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 15:48 (909 days ago) @ probinson

Thank you for this. I have the various marriage records for the family, but many thanks. What I can't find is refrence to Alfreds war service, beyond knowing he was in the Devonshire regiment & had the clasp & roses medal, signifying that he was "over there" in France at the earliest stage of the war. I have found an electoral record that suggests he was still in Primrose Hill, Lydney in 1926 & other documents suggesting he was discharged with some disability & that his younger brother Harvey Charles Prosser was somehow his "guardian". I was rather hoping somene local to lydney may know of his burial place &, [ossibly, the circumstances of his death.
His wife, Ada, died presumably whilke he was on active service & left a son, Thomas, whom I believe was looked after by his eldest siter Isobel Charlotte.Tom was born in 1915, I knew him well, in fact his son is one of my oldewst friends. I am trying to find out what I can about Toms upbringing.I am not sure he knew his father, but it is a delicate subject & I would like to be able to put some certainty around his early life.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 17:08 (909 days ago) @ joe guttridge

I have found an electoral record that suggests he was still in Primrose Hill, Lydney in 1926

I assume that's a typo as he died in 1922

There is a record of him living in Primrose Hill in 1922. However, his death was registered in Llanelly so he may not have died in Lydney and might not be buried there. I would get his death certificate which should clarify things.

--
Peter

death of Albert Edward Prosser

by joe guttridge, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 17:21 (909 days ago) @ probinson

according to ancestry records, he is in Primrose Hill, near Lydney with others from his family inclduing brother Harvey Charles Prosser each year from 1919 through to 1926.
Could the Llanelli death be another person?

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 17:40 (909 days ago) @ joe guttridge

In your original post, you said he died in 1921 to 1922. That's what I was going off.

--
Peter

by joe guttridge, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 18:48 (909 days ago) @ probinson

I'm sorry. Put it down to age.
I suppose I just thought his death must have been soon after the war ended, as it would been natural for a child of Toms age (he was 4 when the war ended) to have had some memory of his father in the event his father had returned from the war & lived locally. But he had no memory of his father. Nor was he told, I think, who his father was. I think he may have been looked after by his paternal aunt (Isobel Charlotte) & then moved in with her when she married
I would be really pleased if it could be established when he died & why he seems to have had little contact with his only son.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 21:47 (909 days ago) @ joe guttridge

Checking military pension records, there are two, almost identical, entries for Albert. Both with the same service number and both showing him leaving the service on the same day for same reason. But one has an address in Wales, the other has the address as Primrose Hill. Not sure what that means but it could indicate a link to Wales.

--
Peter

by joe guttridge, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 07:18 (908 days ago) @ probinson

That is interesting, as there is some rather vague runour in the family of a relation being buried in Gorseinon. Would this tally with your source?

by joe guttridge, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 08:06 (908 days ago) @ joe guttridge

I wonder if there is a possible connection between the areas of Lydney & Gorseinon which may exlain movement of workers generally & the Prosser family particularly in the early 1920s.
The Prossers of Primrose Hill were workers at the tin plate works for many years in the late 19th century & on into the 20th century. These works were operated by Richard Thomas & Co for many years. In 1926 Richard Thomas & Co acquired the Tin Plate works in Gorseinon. So it seems entirely plausible that they would move workers to the newly acquired site around this time.
Possibly Albert Edward Prosser, or one of his family, may have made such a move.

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 10:18 (908 days ago) @ joe guttridge

Here's one of the record cards. Note this shows Alberts death as 1922. It also has the Primrose Hill address crossed out.

I have more. If you make yourself contactable by email or contact me using the envelope symbol next to my name, I'll email what I've found.

[image]

--
Peter

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 21:13 (908 days ago) @ probinson

Hi

How on earth did you manage to post the image shown just before my message ?
I think this would be a good feature for the forum if more was known about it (I am not very computer savvy for new features)
Anyone else agree ?

Sid Toomey

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 22:02 (908 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

Hi

How on earth did you manage to post the image shown just before my message ?
I think this would be a good feature for the forum if more was known about it (I am not very computer savvy for new features)
Anyone else agree ?

Sid Toomey

Hi Sid,

When posting a message, click on the 'image' button on the right side of the page. Select how you want it aligned (just select default as it's a pointless feature)

[image]

then it will open a window where you can put in the address to the location of the image.

[image]

The image has to be located somewhere such as Flickr or some other image hosting site. I use Imgur.

In Imgur or Flickr or whatever you use, there will be a sharing option that will give you a link. Copy the link and paste it into the image location address dialog.

--
Peter

by admin2 @, Thursday, October 28, 2021, 22:15 (908 days ago) @ probinson

Hi Sid and Peter

I was just double checking the setting as uploading of images is disabled for security reasons.

I have not used much to the menu on the post reply screen so we might consider drawing attention to this option somewhere

Regards

Paul

--
Admin 2

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Friday, October 29, 2021, 02:05 (908 days ago) @ admin2

Hi Paul,

For a moment there, i thought I was on to a good thing with being able to share/upload images rather than try to explain something.
I understand the security considerations.
I think it would be a good feature if the security side (and also possibility copyright issues) could be resolved.

Sid Toomey

Image inclusion in posts

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Friday, October 29, 2021, 09:35 (907 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

But you can do it Sid if you host the image elsewhere, as my posts demonstrate.

--
Peter

RSS Feed of thread