Richard Tummey/Toomey.. Sheep Stealing (General)

by sidtoomey01 @, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 09:44 (870 days ago)

This post is mostly to see if i can follow Peters post on how to attach photos successfully.
As an example i am using an Ancestor of mine, Richard Toomey/Tummey who had a lease on a a cottage on Birdwood Common at the beginning of the 19th Century.
Late in the 18th Century he and his father, also named Richard, had the misfortune to be caught stealing sheep. The crime occurred after transportation to the Americas had ceased but before transportation to Port Jackson in far off Australia had commenced. Both of them went into Gloucester Castle Gaol to serve their seven year sentence but records discovered so far indicate only one came out.
The following attachment hopefully will show the location of his cottage which was also described in British History online as well as a newspaper report which accurately plotted the location of his cottage. I believe the location now is a fishing lake.
The map is an extract of a 1840 pre Gloucestershire enclosure map courtesy of "Know your place Gloucestershire".
https://imgur.com/a/CVcB6Tt

I hope this works.

Sid Toomey

Richard Tummey/Toomey.. Sheep Stealing

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 11:00 (870 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

You're almost there Sid. You didn't copy the correct link. I'll do another post with some details. Give me a while to go through it and capture some screen shots.

But note that this image is very big. It's better to resize it so it fits the forum before uploading it to Imgur. However, if you sign up to Imgur you will get the option to post at different sizes which makes life a bit easier. I've done that here.

[image]

--
Peter

Richard Tummey/Toomey.. Sheep Stealing

by probinson @, S. Oxon, Tuesday, November 09, 2021, 11:28 (870 days ago) @ sidtoomey01

You uploaded the image OK Sid. But copied the link to the page rather than to the image.

Once you've uploaded the image, put the mouse in the image and you'll get this

[image]

don't click on the 'copy link' button, click on the ... button and you'll get a menu

[image]

click on the Get share links button and you'll get another dialog

[image]

Click on the BBcode Copy link.

This will give you a preformatted link suitable for the forum. Just paste the link into your message. Don't use the Image button as I previously described as that will add the formatting a second time.

--
Peter

RSS Feed of thread