Bakers and Co-ops (General)

by da058846 @, Monday, January 24, 2022, 13:20 (816 days ago)

Hi,
Wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on a couple of questions.
I discovered on the 1921 census, that my ancestor was a bread delivery man for Co-Op, High-street, Cinderford. Looking at old photos on-line, there is a photo of an old co-op shop front (with Edward John Withers stood outside), but this seems to be a different building from the photos of High-Street showing the co-op. However, I note that the high street seems to be branch no.2?
Question 1. Were there 2x co-op branches in Cinderford, or was branch no.2 the only one in Cinderford? Did it relocate premises?
Question 2. My ancestor then went onto be a delivery driver for Young's bakery in Cinderford. Young's bakery seems to be a family run bakery, by William Young, then his son Frederick George Young (who was the father of the famous 'Jimmy' Young - radio presenter). Where was this bakery, and are there any old photos of this?
Kind regards
Dan

Cinderford Co-operative society

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, January 22, 2023, 19:07 (453 days ago) @ da058846

A co-operative society started by miners at Cinderford bridge in 1874 came to dominate the town's retail trade. The society's penny bank for children had 700 subscribers in 1897 and its anniversary celebration was a major event in the town's calendar until after the First World War. The society, which also opened shops elsewhere in the Forest and in neighbouring towns and villages, took over several other societies and had c. 9,000 members in 1965. It was later incorporated in the Gloucester & Severnside co-operative society, which had several shops in Cinderford in 1993. maybe 4 ?

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Fred YOUNG Baker Cinderford

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, January 22, 2023, 19:36 (453 days ago) @ da058846

In 1921 Fred (the Baker) and Gerty are living in Woodside St Cinderford

in 1939 Gerty is at 81 Belle Vue Road, Cinderford (with her parents She and Fred divorced in 1939 (?))

Gertrude passes away in June quarter 1972 ( born 31 / 12 / 1889)

The family were Baptist's which is why some records are a tad difficult to find

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

RSS Feed of thread