Research in Ecclesiastical Court Records / North family (General)

by jkhouser84, Monday, April 08, 2024, 03:14 (66 days ago)

I recently read a fascinating article, "Wicked Instigations of the Devil: Steve Ward Asks: Was your ancestor a victim of the bawdy courts" in Internet Genealogy (back issue of Dec/Jan 2021). In the article, Mr. Ward discusses his research in the records of the ecclesiastical court of Gloucester relative to a relative of his who fathered children out of wedlock in the early 1800s. He found relevant information in the "Instance and Causes Book."

Has anyone researched these records which, I understand are located in the Gloucester Archive? I believe that they are catalogued with the Gloucester Diocesan Records.

I would be interested in any advice on how to request a search of these records for a specific person - whether from the archive or by hiring a researcher.

My 5th great grandmother, Elizabeth North (1778-late 1850s) was baptized in Newent and had three children born out of wedlock: Hannah North (baptized and buried in Newent in 1795), Philip North (baptized in Newent in 1799) and Joseph (baptized in Linton by Ross in 1803). Elizabeth married Thomas Huggins in 1804 in Linton by Ross, and they had four more sons. The family joined the Gorsley Baptist Church in the early 1830s. Joseph North [my 4th great grandfather] immigrated to the USA in 1832 and settled in Pennsylvania, and his mother, stepfather, and brother immigrated to the USA in 1842 and also settled in Pennsylvania. I am hopeful that these records may help me to identify the father of one or more of the children.

Research in Overseers Records / NORTH family

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 08, 2024, 15:54 (65 days ago) @ jkhouser84

I suspect that you need to search the Overseers and Bastardy records at Gloucestershire Archives -
The overseers were responsible for identifying the fathers of illegitimate children who became a financial burden on the parish, so they could contribute towards costs. There can be an examination of the child’s mother to encourage her to name the father and a bond against the father committing him to provide financial support

my quick online search didn't identify anything related however its worth you having a look and ordering a copy of any relevant info. Example Thomas NORTH 1733 Bulley FoD

h t t p://ww3.gloucestershire DOT gov DOT uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Research in Overseers Records / NORTH family

by jkhouser84, Thursday, April 11, 2024, 14:02 (62 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you for this helpful information. I will search the database. Since I do not know the name of the father, I wonder if a search by the mother's name would reveal the record. If not, perhaps I will need to hire someone to examine these files at the archives to see if anything turns up. Does anyone have a recommendation for a list of researchers who are willing to do this sort of work for a fee?

RSS Feed of thread

powered by my little forum