George & Ann Davis died 1881 in Newent (General)

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Monday, April 22, 2024, 14:38 (11 days ago)

George and Ann Davis, my 3 x Gt, Grandparents died within three months of each other in 1881, aged 85 and 83.

Earlier in the year on the 1881 Census they were living together in Brand Green near Newent. However, George dies in the August of Chronic Bronchitis, and Ann in the November of Old Age, and their Death Certificates show they both died at Bradfords, Newent, RSO.

My question is, was "Bradfords" a small Hospital or some kind of Care Home?

Bradfords cottage ?, Newent

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 22, 2024, 16:09 (11 days ago) @ mikedavies

HI

i'm pretty sure "Bradfords" is an area of Newent north of Watery lane up towards Picklnash.

I'm not aware of a specific "Bradfords House" " Bradfords Manor" or similar

Maybe "you are" looking for Bradfords Cottage ?

https: slash slash britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101172282-bradfords-cottage-newent
https: slash slash historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1172282

The Almshouses and Poorhouse were in the town itself.

https: slash slash www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol12/13-38

Brand Green is north of Newent towards Pauntley

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Bradfords, Newent

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Monday, April 22, 2024, 17:32 (11 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Slowhands,

Thanks for your thoughts.

The copies of the Death Certificates i have, both clearly state Bradfords, Newent, RSO, Gloucester as the place of death.
The signature, description and residence of the informant on both occasions (three months apart) is John Wedley (Hedley?) who was present at the death. I've no-one with that name as a relative.

That's why I'm thinking both were in some form of hospital, care home, workhouse or whatever, as the same person was present at the deaths?

John WEDLEY in 1881 Bradfords (Cottage) Newent

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, April 22, 2024, 19:02 (11 days ago) @ mikedavies

1891 Picklenash
John Wedley Head - Male 64 1807 Carpenter Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Charles Wedley Son - Male 18 1853 - Newent, Gloucestershire, England
James Wedley Brother - Male 77 1794 Labourer Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Elizabeth Brown Grandchild - Female 13 1858 - Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Sarah Burrup Servant - Female 45 1826 ? Pauntley, Gloucestershire, England

1881 Bradfords, Newent
John Wedley Head Widower Male 76 1805 Carpenter Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Ann Burrup Servant Widow Female 0 ( redacted) 1881 Housekeeper (dom) Newent, Gloucestershire, England

Year: 1890
Month: Feb
Day: 23
Surname: WEDLEY
Forenames: John
Residence:
Age_at_death: 85 years
Officiating_Minister:
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda: Buried Chapel Ground Newent Sun[day]
Notes:
Register_Reference: 105551
Page_No: 33
Parish_Chapel: Newent Congregational

looking at the census page and the previous page its starting to support Bradfords Cottage as the modern address

In 1891 Bradfords
Robert Goode Head Married Male 47 1844 Labourer Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Mary A Goode Wife Married Female 44 1847 - Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Sarah J Goode Daughter Single Female 22 1869 General servant domestic Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Annie Goode Daughter Single Female 19 1872 House maid domestic Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Mary Goode Daughter Single Female 14 1877 - Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Robert Hy Goode Son - Male 12 1879 Scholar Newent, Gloucestershire, England
James Goode Son - Male 9 1882 Scholar Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Agnes Goode Daughter - Female 7 1884 Scholar Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Frederick Goode Son - Male 4 1887 - Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Jenny Goode Daughter - Female 2 1889 - Newent, Gloucestershire, England

1n 1911 Bradford Cottage Newent ( next submission Mantley House Picklenash, Newent)

Thomas Barrett Head Married Male 40 1871 Waggoner on farm Natley Scures Hants
Kate Barrett Wife Married Female 36 1875 - Gloucester
Thomas Henry Barrett Son - Male 9 1902 At school Brookerwood
Frank Barrett Son - Male 7 1904 At school Brookerwood
Henry Barrett Son - Male 4 1907 - Perbridge Surrey
Rena Barrett Daughter - Female 1 1910 - Perbridge Surrey
Selina Hill Boarder Widow Female 72 1839 Old age pensioner Pauntley Gloucestershire

--

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Monday, April 22, 2024, 19:39 (11 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks Slowhands - solved I think!

1881 Bradfords, Newent
John Wedley Head Widower Male 76 1805 Carpenter Newent, Gloucestershire, England
Ann Burrup Servant Widow Female 0 ( redacted) 1881 Housekeeper (dom) Newent, Gloucestershire, England

Sarah Ann Davies born 1829 was the fourth child of George and Ann Davis (nee Sparrow). She married Arthur Burrup in 1849, so Ann Burrup (above) was their daughter. Presumably they were staying at Bradfords when they died, and hence John Wedley was present at their death.

Makes sense?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Tuesday, April 23, 2024, 11:57 (10 days ago) @ mikedavies

makes more sense to me now too good luck

--

Bradfords cottage ?, Newent

by mikedavies @, Huddersfield, Tuesday, April 23, 2024, 09:44 (10 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Slowhands,

Very interesting piece and photograph on Bradfords Cottage. Thanks for sharing the links.

Mike

RSS Feed of thread