TIBBS CROSS LITTLEDEAN (General)

by JUDYBARRI, Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 09:24 (59 days ago)

Can anyone throw any light on the history of Tibbs Cross just outside Littledean. I believe it belonged to Flaxley Estate many years ago. The house has TCB etched into the wall we assume Thomas Crawley Bovey? Many thanks

Tibbscross Farm, Green Bottom

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 10:54 (59 days ago) @ JUDYBARRI

Its very likely that the land here was under the Crawley Boeveys of Flaxley ( TCB engraving would fit well)

https://greenbottom.org.uk/tibbs-cross-houses/

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

by JUDYBARRI, Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 11:15 (59 days ago) @ slowhands

Yes we thought that, was wondering was it built as a residence or some kind of forge? Although my parents and grandparents lived there in the 1930s upto 1960 never asked any history sadly to late now. The stone barn opposite looks as if it may have been some kind of sleeping quarters upstairs with stalls built on the lower floor.

by MPGriffiths @, Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 19:57 (58 days ago) @ JUDYBARRI

Not sure if this helps?

Just have a quick look on the National Archives

Date: 1731

Conveyances by :-

Anthony KEMP of Slindon, Sussex, esquire and Thomas CRAWLEY alias BOVEY of Flaxley, esq.

Description: Messuage, 2 water or corn mills called Wood Mill in Westbury-on-Severn and c. 5 acres of land in Flaxley (field names; abuttals)

Held by: Gloucestershire Archives, not available at The National Archives.

-----

The Will of Thomas CRAWLEY alias BOEVEY of Flaxley, Gloucestershire - dated 1741 and held by the National Archives, is however, available - free of charge of download,

-----

I have downloaded and it isn't a long Will -

Starts of In the Name of God Amen, Thomas Crawley alias BOEVEY of Flaxley in the County of Gloucestershire Esq and mentions his Son, Thomas CRAWLEY alias BOEVEY and leaves him all his freehold ..... Lands, Tenaments and .... lying and being in the several pairs of Little Dean Flaxley and Westbury which I bought and purchased of and from Anthony Kemp Esq etc.etc.

There are other requests .... mentioning lands in Gloucester - mentions his Brother-in-law, the Reverend Mr William Lloyd all my Estates..... and interest in several...... of land of Land Meadow in Aylberton.

Will try and decipher better!!!!

by JUDYBARRI, Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 21:45 (58 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Thank you for your help, I am quite sure that Joseph Skipp LLoyd built the cottages opposite Tibbs Cross, but no idea who built Tibbs Cross house. I am assuming the 40 acres of land attached to it was once woodland maybe connected to Welshbury wood. I am pretty sure the 5 acres you mention is the field by the sign post junction at Guns Mills, as I do remember my father having to pay a tithe on that field.

TIBBS CROSS LITTLEDEAN

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, May 30, 2024, 09:55 (58 days ago) @ JUDYBARRI

? Not sure if you are aware of the website:

LLoyd George Land Survey of land values : Gloucestershire (taken in 1909)

https://www.glos1909survey.org.uk

------

Up comes of list of entries etc to search.

-----

Go down to

'Search by Address'

This are two boxes to put info - go to the second box 'IN' and scroll down to : Flaxley There are 30 references listed

2 for Tibb's Cross Farm - giving reference to an Ordnance Survey map as well, which is also on the website.

TIBBS CROSS LITTLEDEAN

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, May 30, 2024, 10:00 (58 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Lloyds George Land Survey

Tibb's Cross Farm reference 9GA/D2428/1/14,78

People Holding Property:

Crawley-Boevey, T H, Sir, Flaxley Abbey, Flaxley, Newnham (M) Oner

etec etc

63 acres 3 Roods 32 perches

Description: House and Buildings

etc etc.

and next to it is

Listed : NIBLETT, Alfred (occupied by)

-- (Maps are in the heading)

TIBBS CROSS LITTLEDEAN

by JUDYBARRI, Thursday, May 30, 2024, 21:17 (57 days ago) @ JUDYBARRI

Thanks for your help, I think a visit to Gloucester Archives is a must. I know my father and his parents lived there on the 1939 census, I am wondering if they purchased it from Flaxley Abbey not sure what year that would have been

Tibbs Cross Farm LITTLEDEAN

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, May 31, 2024, 09:19 (57 days ago) @ JUDYBARRI

It may have been rented and owned by the Boevey family for example

In recent Electoral registers Barrington family @ Farm, Tibbs Cross, Cinderford, Gloucestershire, GL14 3LJ

In 1911 It looks like BEDDIS famil1es were living in Tibbs Cross ( not clear which return relates to the Farm)

In 1901 -
George Burgum Head Married Male 55 1846 Farmer & butcher Littledean, Gloucestershire, England
Elizabeth Burgum Wife Married Female 60 1841 - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England

in 1897 George BURGHAM is the tenant" on the Electoral register

1n 1881 and 1871

Joseph Smith Head Married Male 45 1836 Farmer of 68 acres Gloucestershire, England
Hester Smith Wife Married Female 44 1837 - East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Albert G N Smith Son Single Male 11 1870 Scholar Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England
Rosina Smith Daughter Single Female 7 1874 Scholar Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England
Herbert Smith Son Single Male 4 1877 - Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England
Minnie F Smith Daughter Single Female 2 1879 - Flaxley, Gloucestershire, England
Charles Davis Servant Single Male 30 1851 Farm serv (indoor) Pope's Hill, Gloucestershire, England

In 1841 looks like

Henry Boughton Male 50 1791 Gloucestershire, England Butcher
Anne Boughton Female 45 1796 Gloucestershire, England
Ellen Boughton Female 20 1821 Gloucestershire, England
Matilda Boughton Female 20 1821 Gloucestershire, England
Henry Boughton Male 7 1834 Gloucestershire, England
Thomas Morgan Male 15 1826 Gloucestershire, England

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Tibbs Cross Farm LITTLEDEAN

by JUDYBARRI, Monday, June 03, 2024, 10:22 (54 days ago) @ slowhands

Thanks for that, I could never find that info.

RSS Feed of thread