Emily JAYNES (General)

by Joanne Leach @, Lydney, Gloucestershire, England, Sunday, June 26, 2005, 15:27 (6882 days ago)

Hi I need some help with a woman called Emily Jaynes - one of my gg-grandmother's. She is on the 1881 census at the Southgate Street Infirmary, Gloucester as Housemaid Domestic Servant, aged 24 and the birth place has been transcribed as Sewdley, Gloucestershire.

Can anyone find her on the 1871 or 1861 census?

Can anyone pin down a possible baptism for her?

Any help on this one will be much appreciated.

Joanne.

JAYNES or James ?

by slowhands :-) @, Sunday, June 26, 2005, 18:14 (6881 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

I have a suspicion on this family

1861 living Foundry Wood Soudley !
Ann James abt 1831 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Charles James abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Emily James abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
John W James abt 1851 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
William James abt 1830 Newent, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire

1871 Ayleford south of Soudlet towards Blakeney
Ann James abt 1831 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newnham Gloucestershire
Charles James abt 1853 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Emily James abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newnham Gloucestershire
Frederick James abt 1863 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Hubert James abt 1865 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Sydney James abt 1869 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
William James abt 1826 Newent, Gloucestershire, England Head Newnham Gloucestershire

Name: Emily Jaynes
Age in 1881: 24
Age months: 0
Estimated birth year: abt 1857
Relationship to head-of-household: Servant
Where born: Sewdley, Gloucestershire, England
Address: "Southgate St Infirmary"

JAYNES or James ?

by Joanne Leach @, Lydney, Gloucestershire, England, Thursday, June 30, 2005, 15:10 (6878 days ago) @ slowhands :-)

Thanks for your help on this one Slowhands. When I was originally told by my great-Aunt - "my mums mum was Emily Jaynes" I thought I had heard her say Emily James - but couldn't find one that fitted on the 1881 census, also couldn't find the correct marriage. I found a marriage, and am sending for the certificate tomorrow because the transcription gave her name as Jaynes but as you said, and as I thought I had originally heard, it could have been mistranscribed and may infact be James. Does that make sense? It is definately the correct husband on this one so I think it is a case of lets wait and see for the cert to arrive! I have to say though, I thought that if she was indeed James and not Jaynes that her parents were possibly William and Ann - this you confirmed in your thoughts above.

Anymore help that you can give with this family would be much appreciated!!!

Joanne

JAYNES or James ?

by slowhands @, Saturday, July 02, 2005, 02:23 (6876 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

I hope the Cert. throws more light on this for you.

Jaynes are less abundent compared to James, in teh FOD

regards
S

JAYNES or James ?

by Joanne Leach @, Lydney, Gloucestershire, England, Saturday, July 09, 2005, 08:57 (6869 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Slowhands
Well the cert arrived today and to begin with I thought that it hadn't made any difference. But then I had a long look at it again. She was indeed Emily JAYNES, aged 30, a Spinster living in Newnham at the time of the marriage. Her father was William JAYNES a Bricklayer. She married Frederick George Barrett, age 26,bachelor, a Grocer living at Frampton at the time, on 28 August 1887 at the parish Church in Newnham.

I had a look for William on the 1881 census, here is what I found:

William JANES Head M Male 54 Newnham,Gloucester,England Bricklayer
Amy JANES Wife M Female 51 Soudley,Gloucester,England Bricklayer Wife
Hubert JANES Son U Male 17 Soudley,Gloucester,England Gardener (Dom)
Sidney JANES Son U Male 12 Soudley,Gloucester,England Scholar

Dwelling Soudley
Census Place Newnham, Gloucester, England

I think that this is her parents and siblings despite the diff surname spelling. What do you think?

Joanne

JAYNES or James ?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 09, 2005, 11:33 (6869 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

here they are with the various transcription / recording errors !

William James abt 1830 Newent, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Ann James abt 1831 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Charles James abt 1854 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Emily James abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
John W James abt 1851 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire

William James abt 1826 Newent, Gloucestershire, England Head Newnham Gloucestershire
Ann James abt 1831 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newnham Gloucestershire
Charles James abt 1853 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Emily James abt 1859 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Newnham Gloucestershire
Frederick James abt 1863 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Hubert James abt 1865 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Sydney James abt 1869 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire

William Janes abt 1827 Newnham, Gloucestershire, England Head Soudley, Newnham, Gloucestershire, England
Amy Janes abt 1830 Soudley, Gloucestershire, England Wife Soudley, Newnham, Gloucestershire, England
Hubert Janes abt 1864 Soudley, Gloucestershire, England Son Soudley, Newnham, Gloucestershire, England
Sidney Janes abt 1869 Soudley, Gloucestershire, England Son Soudley, Newnham, Gloucestershire, England

Jeans, Ann abt 1826 Sandley, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newnham Gloucestershire
Jeans, Hubert abt 1864 Sandley, Gloucestershire, England Son Newnham Gloucestershire
Jeans, William abt 1827 Newnham, Gloucestershire, England Head Newnham Gloucestershire

Ann Jaynes abt 1824 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England Wife Newnham Gloucestershire
William Jaynes abt 1825 Newent, Gloucestershire, England Head Newnham Gloucestershire

JAYNES or James ?

by Joanne Leach @, Lydney, Gloucestershire, England, Saturday, July 09, 2005, 11:42 (6869 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands you are a star! So, which surname would be the correct one then? My guess would be Jaynes as it was down as clear as day on the marriage certificate. But people do change their names I suppose. Why can't people be normal and stick to one spellng for their names? I reckon they did it deliberately just to tick off family genealogists as myself!!!

Joanne.

JAYNES or James ?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 09, 2005, 11:53 (6869 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

I reckon they
» did it deliberately just to tick off family genealogists as myself!!!
»
» Joanne.

Janes or Jaynes would be pretty good for the enumerator to record what he/she heard. James because thats what he/she thought they heard :-)

and then its not unusual to see a name evolve over the years

JAYNES or James ?

by squidykins, Friday, April 22, 2016, 22:56 (2928 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

I can probably fill you in on quite a lots of details if need be. Let me know. I'm a Janes. They spelling came down mainly due to many of them working for the Railways and when asked their name they said Janes but didn't necessarily know how to spell it so the railway wrote it down as they thought it should be spelt and thats how it stuck

JAYNES or James ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Friday, April 22, 2016, 23:20 (2928 days ago) @ squidykins

Hi squidykins,
and a warm welcome to this friendly forum. Thanks for your kind offer to help Joanne Leach. However I must warn you that sadly she may not see your message. Her posts were made over 10 years ago, and her user name is displayed in black, which shows she's not been active on the site/forum for a considerable time. If she was still active then her name would be displayed in blue, and it would be a hyperlink which, when clicked-on, would display a summary of her forum history.
That said, sometimes past users do return, or she may even still be around but under a different username, so hopefully she will see your kind posts.

Meanwhile, please continue to enjoy this great site and hopefully contribute to the forum, whether asking or answering questions, the more the merrier !

atb J.

JAYNES or James ?

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 09, 2005, 13:23 (6869 days ago) @ slowhands

1851 Newent

JEYNES Richard 66 Labourer Newent
Mary 55 Newent
William 24 Bricklayer Newent

JAYNES or James ?

by squidykins, Friday, April 22, 2016, 22:47 (2928 days ago) @ slowhands

Im related to Sidney Janes he would have been my great great granfather and was married to Jane Atkinson they had 3 children one being Hubert J R Janes ( my great granfather) who was married to Susan May Janes they had one son John Lance Sydney Janes ( My granfather).

JAYNES or James ?

by Joanne @, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 17:59 (2927 days ago) @ squidykins

It's ok, I'm still here lol, thanks for the heads up Jeff x

JAYNES or James ?

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, April 23, 2016, 23:15 (2927 days ago) @ Joanne

That's great to know, Joanne, thanks !

Frederick Barrett, Minsterworth

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 09, 2005, 11:50 (6869 days ago) @ Joanne Leach

She married
» Frederick George Barrett, age 26,bachelor, a Grocer living at Frampton at
» the time, on 28 August 1887 at the parish Church in Newnham.
»

BARRETT Joseph 48 Carpenter Minsterworth
Charlotte 42 Taynton
Charles 17 Carpenter Apprentice Minsterworth
John 15 Carpenter Apprentice Minsterworth
Elizabeth 11 Scholar Minsterworth
Edwin 9 Scholar Minsterworth
Sarah 6 Scholar Minsterworth
William 2 Minsterworth

Caroline A Barratt abt 1831 Westminster, Middlesex, England Wife Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Fanny Barratt abt 1859 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Francis J Barratt abt 1856 Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Frederick G Barratt abt 1861 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
John Barratt abt 1835 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Sarah Barratt abt 1846 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Sister Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
William H Barratt abt 1857 Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire

Caroline A Barrett abt 1831 Westminster, London, England Wife Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Fanny Barrett abt 1859 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Frances J Barrett abt 1856 Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Frederick G Barrett abt 1861 Chaxhill, Westbury on Severn Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
John Barrett abt 1835 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Head Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Leonard S Barrett abt 1866 Chaxhill Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
Sidney J Barrett abt 1871 Chaxhill; Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire
William H Barrett abt 1857 Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England Son Westbury on Severn Gloucestershire

Caroline A. Barrett abt 1832 London Westminster, London, Middlesex, England Wife Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Dennis E. Barrett abt 1873 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Fanny Barrett abt 1859 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Frederick G. Barrett abt 1861 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
John Barrett abt 1835 Minsterworth, Gloucestershire, England Head Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Leonard S. Barrett abt 1866 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England
Sidney J. Barrett abt 1871 Westbury on Severn, Gloucestershire, England Son Frampton Green, Frampton On Severn, Gloucestershire, England

Barrett, Emily abt 1857 Loudley, Glos Wife Awre Gloucestershire
Barrett, Emily abt 1889 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Awre Gloucestershire
Barrett, Frederick abt 1860 Walmore, Glos Head Awre Gloucestershire
Barrett, Mary A abt 1891 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter Awre Gloucestershire

Carry Barrett abt 1900 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Emily Barrett abt 1858 Soudley, Gloucestershire, England Wife East Dean Gloucestershire
Emily Barrett abt 1890 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Ethel Barrett abt 1894 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Evelyne Barrett abt 1896 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Frederick Barrett abt 1860 Westbury, Gloucestershire, England Head East Dean Gloucestershire
Frederick Barrett abt 1895 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Son East Dean Gloucestershire
Gwendoline Barrett abt 1898 Blakeney Hill, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire
Mary Barrett abt 1891 Blakeney, Gloucestershire, England Daughter East Dean Gloucestershire

RSS Feed of thread