James Proctor Howell - Alvington (1770 to 1839) (General)

by cyberacct, Sunday, July 03, 2005, 15:40 (6875 days ago)

I am looking for information on James Proctor Howell, son of John Howell and Margaret Proctor who was born about Apr-1770 in Berkeley. He died about Dec-1839 in Gloucestershire, we believe in Alvington. According to Alvington history, "In 1806, John Parsons and two Davis sisters sold the manorial rights with the house called Clanna and a demesne farm of 242 acres to James Proctor Howell who sold it in 1820."

I am looking for any information pertaining to who he married, any children, where and when he was buried and information onf the Clanna House especially who he sold it to and why. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...... Deb

Clanna estate history

by slowhands :-) @, Monday, July 04, 2005, 11:52 (6874 days ago) @ cyberacct

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=23249

In 1806 John Parsons and the two Davis sisters sold the manorial rights with the house called CLANNA and a demesne farm of 242 a. to James Proctor Howell. Howell sold that estate in 1820 to William Middleton Noel (d. 1859), who devised it to his nephew Edward Andrew Noel. The Noels bought back some of the lands alienated from the manor at the beginning of the century, and bought land in adjoining parishes, (Footnote 2) and the estate comprised 654 a. in 1884 when E. A. Noel sold it to WalterBentley Marling, (Footnote 3) brother of Sir William Marling, owner of the adjoining Sedbury Park estate. (Footnote 4) W. B. Marling further enlarged the Clanna estate by adding farms in Hewelsfield and St. Briavels, and in Alvington, where he bought Glebe farm in 1898. (Footnote 5) In 1919, when he offered his estate for sale, it comprised 1,966 a. and included eight tenant farms. Some farms were sold separately, while Clanna and the bulk of the estate were bought in 1920 by Richard Pryce-Jenkin of Raglan (Mon.). (Footnote 6) Pryce-Jenkin died in 1951 (Footnote 7) and his estate was split up during the next few years. (Footnote 8)

From: 'Alvington', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume V: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 5-14. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=23249. Date accessed: 03 July 2005.

Clanna estate history

by slowhands :-) @, Monday, July 04, 2005, 12:00 (6874 days ago) @ slowhands :-)

Clanna Falls, about a mile distant from the village of Alvington is the seat of the lord of the manor.

for old map and modernj aerial view

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

co-ords 359330,202180

Clanna Lodge, Alvington

by kate fletcher @, Pennsylvania, USA, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 11:43 (3793 days ago) @ slowhands :-)

In 1861 my g+g+grandparents, John and Margaret Fletcher were living in Alvington at Clanna Lodge. Does anyone know what Clanna Lodge would have been or is it still in existence? Also, are there any records of people in Chepstow Workhouse infirmary? 1896 my g+grandmother Elizabeth FLETCHER and 1922 her son Alfred FLETCHER both died there. I'm from U.S. and don't believe I understand UK poor laws. Elizabeth and Alfred were both from Woolaston Woodside. Thanks for any assistance.

Clanna Lodge, Alvington & Chepstow Workhouse

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 23:08 (3792 days ago) @ kate fletcher

Hi Kate,
I must first say I don't know the Clanna area from personal experience, hopefully other readers will. When I first read the word "Lodge" I wondered if yours was one of the many Lodges built to house Forestry workers, this prior post gives some background on this subject which may be of interest albeit perhaps irrelevant here.
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=35549

However I cannot find any clear/direct reference to such a Forestry Lodge at Clanna. Having now properly read the older posts in this thread (thanks Slowhands), I now wonder if Clanna Lodge was not Forestry related but a "normal" private residence, which could still be called a Lodge of course. Page 85 of this English Heritage Report describes Clanna House(demolished 1952) and it's large Estate with a Farm and other buildings, it seems quite possible it had a "Lodge" too. In the UK lodge was often used to describe the small house "guarding" the main gates of a Victorian(ish) era country estate, perhaps most relevant here, but could perhaps also describe a holiday home on such an estate for visitors to use while enjoying a shooting/fishing holiday ?. The word "lodge" was used to describe a temporary base for hunting trips in remote places, such as the Royal Forests, way back in medieval times - perhaps from the old French word "loge" of similar meaning, 1066 and all that....
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/forest-of-dean-mapping-project-nmp/FoD_...
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/lodge

As suggested by Slowhands, the definitive history of the Alvington area is on this website. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23249
There's too much to reproduce here in full but hopefully it will make interesting reading for you; if you search the text you'll find 57 mentions of "Clanna", both as an area and as specific places such as theHouse, the Falls and the Farm, but no Clanna Lodge as such; searching "Lodge" gives just two hits, both for a residence called Severn Lodge built c1820, perhaps ??? this is the same building ??? - we need to study the maps more closely to clarify(see below!).

You might also find this detailed & illustrated report of interest, Severn Lodge and Clanna Lane are both mentioned.
http://www.fdean.gov.uk/media/Assets/Planning-DC/documents/Conservation%20Areas/Current...

----------------

At this time I don't have full access to the 1861 Census. What were your ancestor's professions while living at the Lodge, this may well help us; perhaps they were estate workers(gamekeeper, gardener) or maybe even woodmen/foresters ?. If you search tinternet for "Clanna Falls" you'll find a few photos of Clanna estate workers from the 1920s, but not your Fletchers sadly. That same website has photos of Severn Lodge, showing it's next to St Andrew's Church Alvington so defintiely NOT Clanna.

=================

WARNING !
Searching tinternet yields modern maps/photos of "Clanna Lodge". HOWEVER be warned that this is NOT the Lodge we're seeking. Carefull study of the various Ordnance Survey maps on the truly-excellent Old Maps site (use Slowhands' link & co-ords above) show that Clanna Lodge c1972 had been previously called Clanna Cottage during the late 1800s and early 1900s. The Cottage is not part of the Clanna estate, it's situated where Kear's Grove meets the road, so topleft of the map shown on the English Heritage webpage mentioned earlier. Sadly the Old Maps site doesn't give an 1861 era map but the 1:2500 scale maps from 1881 and later show it had all the trappings of a country estate, such as farm, pheasantry and ice house...

====================

Re the Chepstow Workhouse, this prior thread contains some references to it, aka "Poor Law Union".
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=31855
This excellent website is the best reference for Poor Law related queries.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/intro/
It has recently been revised, here's an updated link to the Chepstow entry, it's just across the borders so is listed under Monmouthshire, Wales.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Chepstow/

This site gives the staff and inmates at the 1881 Census, all such Institutions (like hospitals etc etc) were included within the various Census surveys. However in later years the Census or PR references weren't always so obvious to spot at first glance, eg the address "Westbury workhouse" became known as "No 1 Westbury". Apart from these references, the Workhouses site shows what more specific Records do exist for each Union(ie area/town), for Chepstow they are housed at the new Gwent(modern name for Monmouthshire/South Wales area) Archives, see site for full details and links. Hopefully they'll be able to help you by email enquiry.

Workhouse Documentaries on TV

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 13:15 (3792 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi again Kate,
Last night, straight after writing the above post, I watched a little TV. I was pleased to find a repeat of an old episode of the British FH series "Who Do You Think You Are ?", this one about actor/comedian Stephen Fry, a new episode to me. By lucky coincidence (for us at least), he found that one side of his family were paupers living in & out of a Workhouse, so this subject gets some coverage. I don't know if you can watch it in the USA, but you may find this episode worth a look, it's one of the better ones I think. It also spends time looking at his Jewish roots and their treatment in wartorn Austria.
I see there are other Workhouse-related films on YouTube too, some are probably more specific/informative in their content, so perhaps also worth your viewing if you can.
Full episode here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEIQP480ZSk

Clanna Lodge, Alvington

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 09:16 (3791 days ago) @ kate fletcher

John (farm labourer) and Margret FLETCHER at Clanna Lodge on the 1861 census are between the addresses of Alvington Bennet and Barnage Farm.

Barnage Farm is still in existence today.

Barnage Farm
Barnage Lane
Alvington
Lydney
GL15 6AQ

Clanna Lodge, Alvington

by shepway @, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 09:52 (3791 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

A Google search tells us that Clanna Lodge is also in existence today.
Clanna Lodge
Clanna
Alvington
LYDNEY
GL15 6AJ

Mike

Clanna Lodge, Alvington

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 14:44 (3791 days ago) @ shepway

Hi MPG & Mike,
thanks for your helpful posts, as always.
Hopefully the Census reference should help place the location using the OldMaps site. Given John was a farm labourer, I wonder if he indeed was a worker on the Clanna house estate ?. Currently Home Farm is located a few yards southwest?(below on the map anyhow!) to where the old Clanna House stood. It's marked as such on the 1921 Map, and i still there but not labelled at all on the 1902 map. However it's not there at all on the 1881 map, the earliest available map on the site. If only the site had an earlier map...
Mike, please note as explained in my earlier post the current Lodge is most probably not the same building/location, unfortunately, altho right general neighbourhood.
Thanks again, Jeff

Clanna Alvington - 1871 Census/1911 Census

by MPGriffiths @, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 14:57 (3791 days ago) @ Jefff

Been looking at the records - and it would seem that on the 10 September 1834

John EDDELL (age 74) labourer, formerly a Blacksmith - residence Clanna Lodge, was buried -

Can't see any later reference to Clanna Lodge in the records.

This is from the 1911 Summary Sheet for Alvington

Village - Shop
Village x 3
Mytle Villa
Court End
Alvington Court
Globe Inn
Village blacksmith shop
+ 10 village houses
Clanna Road
Parks Farm
The Brook Aylburton
Wood Mill Aylburton
Ferney Ley
Cottage Farm
Colliers Brook
Ditto
Ditto
Glebe Farm
W? Clanna Cottage
Ditto
Clanna Gardens
Clanna (The Bothy)
Clanna Stables
Ditto
Clanna Falls
Clanna Weir
Clanna Laundry
Clanna Weir
Littlebarn
Littlebarn
Barnage Farm
Beanhill
Rowley Leather Board Mills
Rowley
Smallbrook
Sandford Hall
Reddings
Common
The Parish Mansion Room
Common
Ditto
Ditto
Netherend

etc etc

---

Checking back the census returns - and the time before the 1911 census this is Clanna Lodge

Smallbrook
Smallbrook
Rowley Mile
Rowley Cottage
Beanhill
Clanna Lodge with James Thomas 26, labourer, wife, Hannah aged 24 and daughter Mary A
Clanna Road
Little Barn
Keepers
Barnage Farm

Clanna Lodge, Alvington

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 15:08 (3791 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

My other favorite old maps site is this "Vision Of Britain" one, it carries a First Series O.S. map so dating from abt 1831. This clearly shows Barnage Farm, and to the south east (Alvington direction) Bennets Barn. Midway twixt these is an unlabelled building, just south of Clanna. I think this might be the "Lodge" we're searching for ?.
Hope this link to this map works for you too.
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/?layer=europe&xMin=3148111.19177091&yMin...

Alvington etc, "Vison of Britain" Old Maps site

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, December 12, 2013, 18:03 (3791 days ago) @ Jefff

Oops, sorry, the link was right area but wrong map. In case (unlikely!) anyone's unsure just use the dropdown menu to select "C19th". Now zoom in and the map changes style/vintage as you zoom, the older ones being B&W, below the map it tells you which Series (aka issue) map is being displayed. This site's more user-friendly than the Old-Maps site insofar as you can easily move around areas onto adjoining maps just by dragging the mouse pointer.

From the site's homepage you can search placenames, here's a typical "homepage" for each town, in this case Alvington, it carries lots of interesting info as well as the maps.
eg
"In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvington like this:
ALVINGTON, a parish in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; on the estuary of the Severn, and the South Wales railway, near Wollaston r. station, 2 miles SW of Lydney. Post Town, Lydney. Acres, 2,553; of which 500 are water. Real property, £2,709. Pop. 369. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to the family of Noel. The living is a p. curacy annexed to the rectory of Wollaston, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The ancient church was a cell to Llantony Abbey."
URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10320
Date accessed: 12th December 2013

Sorry for delay posting this correction, had to make an exciting trip to the local tip !

James Proctor Howell - Alvington (1770 to 1839)

by slowhands :-) @, Monday, July 04, 2005, 12:14 (6874 days ago) @ cyberacct

JAMES PROCTER HOWELL
-------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 24 APR 1770 Berkeley, Gloucester, England
--------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: JNO HOWELL
Mother : Margaret Procter
----------------------------------------------------
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.
The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

-----------------------------------------
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C016483 1751 - 1812 0417122 Film 6900585 Film
Sheet: 00

Possibly marries a KERR - (Mary ??) of St Briavels - (a surname with strong Lydney connections).

RSS Feed of thread