Westbury Registration & Gloster Asylum Location (General)

by jmay @, Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 13:27 (4686 days ago) @ Jefff

Jeff and Donna,
Thank you so much for your help and all the 'new ideas' of where to look up so many things. I have been away and have just returned to find loads of new sites to look at. . I have really got left behind on this. The forum is absolute magic thanks to all you wonderful people out there who are willing to help a beginner
More than 60 yrs ago I used to be taken with my mother to Westbury Workhouse [as it was known] once a week to take the trolley round with goods for the patients. The building seemed to me to be very dark, had stone walls and steps. Beds were iron and most patients were in them. I can still recall the smell and think it must have been disinfectant of some sort. My nightmare was peeling orqanges for the people that wanted them. I hated oranges at the best of times but I was constantly told that it was good for me to do things for others ! It was great to see all the old people so pleased to see us. I think it may have been an old peoples home and not an asylum then, though I was never aware of any visitors.. I am now looking forward to picking up my thread again.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread