John Herbert James-Saddler of Yorkley, Lydney (1876-1912) (General)

by Keith McGraw @, Friday, July 14, 2006, 02:28 (6518 days ago)

I would be interested in finding out more about John Herbert James (b Dec 11th 1876) who was one 10 sons born to Joseph Jones (b 1848)and Emma Morse (b 1852) at the family home in Coleford.The family worshipped at Whitecroft Wesleyan Methodist Church which opened in 1824 and John Herbert was baptised in the chapel.His father Joseph James was the oldest living member and local preacher by the centenary of the chapel in 1924.

John Herbert James became a Saddler and Harness maker and lived at 'Springfield' in Yorkley. His saddlery business was situated in Newerne Street,opposite the Bridge Hotel in Lydney (1905-1912).On 14th April 1906,John Herbert James married my Great Aunt ,Minnie Lewis (b 1st March 1881) in Heath Town Wesley Chapel in Wolverhampton .They had 2 children born in Yorkley,Lydney -Olive James (b1908) and Percy Lewis James who died at 2 years of age.

The family emigrated to Saskatchawen in Canada in 1912. They wanted to sail on a new ship called the 'Titanic' but fortunately it was full and had to sail on the next ship !!! How do I find records on ship sailings to Canada in 1912? I have recently visited Minnie's daughter Irene born in 1924 in Canada and now lives in Kelowna in British Columbia in Canada.

Keith McGraw

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread