Elizabeth HERBERT - MARFELL marriage ? (General)

by jimashton @, Friday, May 11, 2012, 16:03 (4378 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

Jean

I know we have shared a lot of information in the past. It has been useful going over this thread, some of it going back a few years. As ever when Slowhands becomes involved, I learn something new; in this case I had the marriage between "Thomas" Herbert & Elizabeth Phelps wrong - apart from the fact that the F o D web site Parish Records shows him as William, which may indeed be correct, I had the date as 14th not 24th March, but worse still I had it recorded as being at Cinderford but with the same witnesses - this must have been passed to me by someone else !!
The transportation possibility is also interesting.

As the Marfell name is shown in the thread, I thought I would clear up the Elizabeth Herbert who gave birth to an illegitimate Jane Herbert baptised 11 Oct 1822. This Elizabeth Herbert was baptised 26 April 1808 daughter of William Herbert 1758/1824 & Martha Woore 1782/1846. She did indeed marry my GGG Grandfather Thomas Marfell 1795/1859.

There has always been some doubt as to which Elizabeth Herbert Thomas married, with some mention in census of Monmouth Wales and variations as to her age. I have a copy of Thomas's will (in which she gets 9 pence per week for the rest of her life - and a bed)and I am fairly certain I have the right Elizabeth :

1841 Census Newham Bottom
Thomas Marfell 45 Mason
Elizabeth 40
Lydia 15
Abia 10
Miles 8

1851 Census Ruardean East Dean
MARFELL Thomas 55 Stone Mason Ruardean
Elizabeth 51 .Llandilo Monmouth
Miles 18 Coal Miner East Dean
Benjamin 13 Coal Miner East Dean
Enoch 13 Scholar East Dean
Selina 12 Scholar East Dean
Thomas 9 Scholar East Dean
Elizabeth Grand Daughter 1 East Dean

RUARDEAN Memorial Inscription
Number 59
In memory of Thomas Marfell died 29th August 1859 aged 64 years. Also Elizabeth wife of Thomas Marfell died 21st January 1880 aged 79 years.

1861 Census East Dean
RG9 1755 290
Elizabeth 60 Head.Widow East Dean
Miles son 29 Engineer East Dean
Elizabeth grandaughter 10 East Dean

1871 Census East Dean
Miles Marfell 38 Mason East Dean (son of Thomas Marfell & Elizabeth nee Herbert)
Jane wife 36 Hfd
Edith 10 Hfd
Elizabeth 7 Wales
Miles 6 East Dean
Miriam 4 East Dean
Rhoda 1 East Dean
Elizabeth mother W 70 East Dean

In my own records for the illegitimate Jane Herbert 1822, transcribed at Gloucester Records Office. I have noted "Baptism unclear as to surname - Herbert or Marfell, but father shown as Thomas Marfell & Mother Elizabeth Herbert". All a little academic as she died April 1823.

Jim Ashton

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread