William & Martha HERBERT - 2 different families??? (General)

by cjk136 @, Monday, May 14, 2012, 00:25 (4375 days ago) @ slowhands

William & Martha HERBERT - 2 different families???

Thank you Slowhands for your help and advice to dismiss Goodrich 1782. It's much appreciated but it led me to question further and now - I'm confused!!

Continuing my quest to find the birth and parents of Martha WOORE c1774-1782 whom I believe married William HERBERT 1758-1824, I have looked at the PRs again. Would I be right to assume that there are two different families with same names, one living in Ruardean, the other in Goodrich? Am I confusing the two?

According to the FOD PRs: the Ruardean couple appear to have 2 children, Elizabeth 1804 & Margaret 1806 and the Goodrich couple appear to have 4 children William 1805 (Notes In this record the child's and father's forenames were not clear so the best guess was given), then a big gap until Joyce 1822, George 1824 (2 identical records with different record IDs), George 1825.

56076 1804 HERBERT Elizabeth William Martha Ruardean
303627 1805 HERBERT William William Martha Goodrich Goodrich
56175 1806 HERBERT Margaret William Martha Ruardean
159929 1822 HERBERT Joyce William Martha Copped Wood Labourer Goodrich
316213 1824 HERBERT George William Martha Goodrich Day Labourer Welsh Bicknor
1052055 1824 HERBERT George William Martha Goodrich day labourer Welsh Bicknor
159988 1825 HERBERT George William Martha Copped Wood Labourer Goodrich

This has thrown some doubt on my tree as I thought 'my Ruardean family' were William HERBERT and Martha WOORE, but looking again at the marriage record I note that it states they were married in Goodrich.

Record_ID: 70039
Entry_Number:
Year: 1802
Month: Jul
Day: 4
Grooms_Surname: HERBERT
Grooms_Forenames: William
Grooms_Age:
Groom_Condition: Bachelor
Grooms_Occupation:
Grooms_Residence: Of this parish
Grooms_Fathers_Surname:
Grooms_Fathers_Forenames:
Grooms_Fathers_Occupation:
Brides_Surname: WOORE
Brides_Forenames: Martha
Brides_Age:
Brides_Condition: Spinster
Brides_Occupation:
Brides_Residence: Of this parish
Brides_Fathers_Surname:
Brides_Fathers_Forenames:
Brides_Fathers_Occupation:
Licence_or_Banns: Banns
Date_of_Banns:
Signature_or_Mark: Both mark
Witness_1: Elizabeth Pritchard
Witness_2: Charles Baylis
Other_Witnesses:
Officiating_Minister: H.Y Williams Vicar
Event: Marriage
Memoranda: Banns: ... were duly published on three successive Sundays by me H.Willia]ms.
Notes: Any abbreviated forenames have been expanded to the full name
Register_Reference: BF16/7
Page_Number:
Parish_Chapel: Goodrich
Soundex_Groom: H616
Soundex_Bride: W600

Might this possibly be the marriage record for the other couple? It might account for this William being described as a bachelor when really he is a widower due to the death of his first wife Hannah YEMM who died in 1789 in Ruardean - a point previously raised?

Further evidence for my theory is that the Goodrich couple were married and had 3 of their children baptised by the same Officiating Minister, Harry Williams, Vicar. The Ruardean couple had their two baptised in Ruardean Parish Church by Officiating Minister J H BEESTON. This was the same minister who buried William's first wife, Hannah YEMM, and christened their 3 children there. So I don't suppose anyone happens to have a marriage record for William & Martha in Ruardean Parish Church with J H Beeston too, do they?!!!

The 1841 census has the widowed Martha HERBERT living in Ruardean Hill, Dean Forest until her death there in 1846. I understand that these places are geographically close but I can't work out if all the records apply to one couple or two?

I really would appreciate any ideas. Many thanks.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread