Planning a trip to the Forest of Dean (General)

by stockampreddy @, Buffalo, NY USA, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 03:25 (3966 days ago)

Hi all,
Thank you so much for you assistance in the past with my Stockam and Preddy families. I am planning my visit to England in mid July. My brother in law lives near London and has offered to take me around the Forest of Dean and also around Somerset so I can explore the areas where my ancestors came from.

The Dean Forest area sounds so inviting but I was wondering if you had any suggestions regarding particular places of interest? During the mid to late 1800’s my ancestors resided in Lea Bailey, Ruardean, Cinderford, the Pludds, Lydbrook and Worral Hill areas. They were baptized, married and buried at The Lea, Holy Trinity at Drybrook, Ruardean Chapel, and Holy Jesus in Lydbrook. They were coal miners but I don’t know which colliery they worked at.

I am particularly interested in visiting the villages and churches where my ancestors lived and received religious sacraments. I wondered if there is any difficulty accessing these areas by car? Will I need a guide or will I be able to go inside the churches without any problem?

Thank you,
Donna

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread