Holy Trinity Church, Drybrook graveyard (General)

by HarryBrook @, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:22 (3975 days ago) @ stockampreddy

The original churchyard at Holy Trinity Church, Drybrook was surveyed and the memorial inscriptions recorded in the late 1980's. There was no record of any STOCKHAM grave memorials, their graves evidently unmarked.

There was one PREDDY memorial recorded. The memorial inscription was recorded as:- In loving memory of / John Preddy, / who died April 30th 1882 / aged 67 years. / Also of Diana*, / the beloved wife of the above / who died Nov. 1st 1877 / aged 62 years. / Also of Mary Ann, / their daughter / who died July 5th 1854 / aged 14 years & 4 mon. / Also of Emma, / their second daughter / the beloved wife of / William Critchley, / who died May 9th 1896 / aged 51 years. / The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want. / Also of William Critchley, / who died May 30th 1920 / aged 78 years.
*recorded as Diana but BMD and parish records as Dinah. The various details can no doubt be cross-checked against the parish records on this site.

Unfortunately at Holy Trinity, in order to re-use the available burial space, many old grave memorials were removed in the late 1970's and placed against the boundary walls. No record was made of their original locations. This situation was later made worse when the memorials/headstones were stacked in piles at various locations within the churchyard to allow the boundary walls to be repaired. Some were used for other purposes, some apparently lost or damaged, and most are inaccessible for viewing. The PREDDY headstone is one of those now "lost".

In the churchyard extension to the west of the church, in which burials commenced in 1954, there is one PREDDY headstone. It may be of interest. The memorial inscription reads:-
In / loving memory / of / Frank Preddy / born 11th February 1891 / died 7th June 1976 / also / Beatrice Maud Preddy / born 17th Dec. 1895 / died 1st Jan. 1980 / re-united.
On the grave there is also a cremation tablet memorial commemorating their daughter Dorlouise Annie (Dorrie) HALE (formerly Preddy) who died 26th February 1985 aged 57 years.

I can describe how to locate this particular grave within the various rows of graves in the churchyard if you wish.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread