The New Ancestry.co Experience (General)

by fredb @, Monday, January 04, 2016, 18:15 (3055 days ago) @ Jefff

Will "OLD SEARCH" fans get what they want?

I had trouble with the findmypast 1939 survey too, anyone else struggle?

They claim 90+% accuracy which is way off. Some of the addresses are confused, no local knowledge plus transcription errors. My family didn't show so I did an address search for Wyesham (Monmouth) but half the addresses are missing. I asked FMP why, they replied telling me I'm probably searching wrongly, which is like telling me I don't know where I live. I wondered if the missing Wyesham addresses had been added to Redbrook, part of Redbrook usually appears as part of the Dixton - Newton census. I did an address search for Redbrook, West Dean and it shows just one Dovey family, so no luck there.
I have no idea if it was down to me reporting the errors, but today I did a search for Beach - Monmouth only expecting Oswald Beach in town to show up and my family show up too, but still not if you search by address.

They sent out 60,000 people to collect the census details, why didn't they use postmen who would have known the names and accurate addresses. Still some lucky fellas might not have got called up. FB

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread