How good Ancestry once was (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, July 06, 2016, 17:24 (2851 days ago) @ alison2

Hi Fred, just to say I totally agree with you re the "new-improved" Ancestry (how many times have we groaned on hearing that phrase ?). I strongly dislike it in so many ways, as I posted on your earlier thread.
http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=46537

I think the people in Ivory towers responsible for "modernising" websites and computer operating systems in the last few years feel a need to dumb-down everything to "Janet and John" pre-school level !
Or maybe their expensive design consultants have just run-out of sensible ideas so offer the ridiculous, and as they're "experts" so they must be "right" !
Their modern offerings have lots of nice# bright colours and over-sized text (so requiring me to buy bigger screens to display it all, and new more-powerful computers to be able to load a myriad of videos and photos which I don't want to see (BBC homepage a point in case)), yet ignoring the fact that many users are not kids but intelligent adults and academics who can cope with words and old-fashioned information without the gimmicks.
But hey that's just my view, but being over 50 I don't think that counts anymore !

I just had a quick search to find some recent views of Ancestry, as their own blogs etc seem to have mysteriously stopped being updated. I think the latest post (Gillian, 6 days ago) on this one sums them up for me ie good records IF you can access them.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ancestry.co.uk

Sadly it looks like we have to either like it or lump it and leave, but where next ?.
I don't read any of the monthly FH magazines, it would be interesting to know if they've included comment or opinions on the Ancestry saga ?.

Meanwhile, thank heaven for websites such as this FoD one !!

# sorry, new Ancestry's colours are NOT nice at all... what happened to eye-friendly pastel shades ?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread