Photo of 4 Young Men BARNARD/BEVAN/GRIFFITHS/GREEN families? (General)

by macast @, North Yorkshire, England, Friday, July 19, 2019, 10:07 (1745 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

New thoughts.... what does everyone think?:-

after lots of consideration I am beginning to think that these four young men might be the sons of my partner Mike’s great grandmother, Myra MILLS (married names, GRIFFITHS and BEVAN).

I’ve always thought that the younger of the group has a family resemblance to Mike’s father.
previously I discounted these young men, as Mike’s great grandmother had 5 sons. three from her first marriage and two from her second.

Although she was born in Wales in 1863, by the 1881 census she was living in Cinderford with her parents.

In the 1891 census I found her with her first husband and all three sons in Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

But by 1895 her husband had died and she was back in Cinderford with at least her 2 younger boys (probably because at least one of her sisters still lived in Cinderford).... she married Mike’s great grandfather Oliver BEVAN in late 1895.

In the 1901 census the family is living in Woodside Street, Cinderford, but her oldest son is not living with her but after some research I found him in Abertillery, Monmouthshire, Wales (the place of his mother’s birth) he was a boarder at the home of his aunt and uncle (his mother’s sister).

Perhaps it was 1914/15 and the older of the young men in the photograph were signing up and the others went with them as support? If this is indeed the family I now think it is.... then the older man sitting in the front of the photo died in 1918 leaving a young family. Both of the older-looking men were miners.... the one on the left was an office worker and if it is 1914 then he wouldn’t yet be old enough to sign up... and the one at the back would have been only 13 years old.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread