Miners at Lightmoor Colliery (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, October 06, 2019, 00:08 (1665 days ago) @ JaneyH

Hi Janey,
no need to apologise for your "slow" reply, by my standards you're very quick !

Yes I guessed you had looked properly but thought best to check. Ah well, no doubt it will turn up just while you're looking for something else, haha.

Glad the BNA suggestion was useful. I just searched for Bowdlers in this site's Inquests section, in case it also had that 1943 one. I guess you've already done the same, but if not then please do so. The database only has one involving the Bowdler family, but not that 1943 one, but one for a baby boy who died in 1881 after his head was struck by a door slamming in the wind !. It looks like 11 months old Henry Bowdler, son of collier Joseph, was a resident of the Littledean end of Cinderford, so they may well be in your tree ?. Unfortunately the Inquest doesn't state which pit Joseph worked at.

Hopefully this link takes you to the full details;
https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/inquests/php/popup.htm?../images/B401.png

Record_ID: 63741
Entry_Number: 930
Year: 1881
Month: Oct
Day: 18
Surname: BOWDLER
Forenames: Henry
Residence: Soudley
Age_at_death: 11 m[onth]s
Officiating_Minister: W[illia]m Lynes
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/13
Page_No: 117
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John
Soundex: B346

1881 East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Joseph Bowdler Head M 27 Coal miner. Township Of East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Emily Bowdler Wife F 23 Coal Miners Wife. Township Of East Dean, Gloucestershire, England
Jane Bowdler Daughter F 5 Littledean, Gloucestershire, England
Thomas Bowdler Son M 4 Manchester, Lancashire, England
Henry Bowdler Son M 1 Maidenham, Gloucestershire, England

etc, etc.
Later census' shows they moved to Soudley, sadly Joseph was only in his 50s when he died, presumably the effects of a lifetime underground.

Record_ID: 66082
Entry_Number: 31
Year: 1914
Month: Jun
Day: 18
Surname: BOWDLER
Forenames: Joseph
Residence: Soudley
Age_at_death: 59
Officiating_Minister: F W Baldwin Vicar
Event: Burial
Cause_of_death:
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P85/1 IN 1/15
Page_No: 4
Parish_Chapel: Cinderford St John
Soundex: B346

----

Oops, I now see we've already discussed Henry Bowdler's tragic death, see https://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?id=49242

atb J

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread