Lloyd WILCE 1929 - 2018 Cinderford (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, February 11, 2023, 19:17 (442 days ago) @ slowhands

1939 49 High Street, Cinderford
George W Wilce 05 Nov 1876 Male Colliery Onsetter Below Married 313 1
Gertrude A Wilce 10 Aug 1894 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 313 2
Sidney Wilce 08 Jun 1926 Male At School Single 313 3
Lloyd S Wilce 05 Feb 1929 Male At School Single 313 4
George W Wilce 21 May 1931 Male At School Single 313 5
Leslie D Wilce 30 Apr 1933 Male Billson School Single 313 6

Feb 21st 2018 from The Forester
BRITAIN’S longest serving councillor Lloyd Wilce died yesterday at his Cindeford home at the age of 89.
Mr Wilce, of Woodgate Road, entered the world of politics on returning from national service in 1949. He started out as a councillor at the Plump Hill for 18 months before becoming a councillor in his hometown.
Mr Wilce told The Forester in 2015 that one of his best moments was fundraising money for the town’s swimming pool.
He said: “I saw how they had play areas and swimming pools along with many other things that Cinderford didn’t have. I wanted to make the town better for the people.

Despite his grandfather Levy Wilce being one of the richest men in the Forest and a staunch Conservative, Mr Wilce joined the Labour Party. He said at the time: “My father’s side of the family were Conservatives. My grandfather at the time was probably the richest man in Cinderford. “However, my father died in 1942. I was only 12 at the time and all the properties my father owned went back to the family and all my mum was left with was 30 ‘bob’ and her pension.”

Mr Wilce once gained more votes in Cinderford than one of the Parliamentary candidates in the whole constituency. Having considered calling it a day in 2015, Mr Wilce stood and was elected for the town council elections with 464 votes.

From the Mirror 20 May 2015
Britain's longest-serving councillor has been re-elected after 66 YEARS - and he thinks Andy Burnham will be the next Labour leader.
Labour's Lloyd Wilce, 86, is still on Cinderford Town Council in Gloucestershire after colleagues 'twisted his arm' to continue the job he's had since 1949. After attending his first council meeting since the election, he's told Mirror Online he thinks you can't always rely on politicians anymore.
Since Lloyd was first elected his authority has changed names three times.But he said: "Well, I've done it for so long, and they said 'you might as well keep going' so I carried on." Lloyd started his political career and affiliation with the Labour Party aged 16, when he joined the Labour League of Youth and became their regional chairman.

His involvement was furthered when he came out of the army in 1949 and stood as a Labour candidate in his local council, in the Forest of Dean.He said: "I came out of the army and realised Cinderford was lacking certain things - a swimming pool for example - and that's why I wanted to get involved."I've been quite successful with a lot of things. We got a swimming pool!"

Lloyd says his biggest achievements are fighting for the pool and a running track.He also helped raised £20,000 for a statue of a well-known coal miner in the centre of his hometown.
When asked about how he feels on the state of politics today, he said: "You can't always rely on politicians!""The last general election was a weird affair. The predictions seemed to change all of a sudden."

Lloyd is widowed, but was married to wife Mary for 60 years. He has 2 sons, 9 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.He says his offspring won't be continuing his political legacy, as a lot of them moved out of the area for university or jobs.He first worked in Debenhams when he left the army then ran a pub with Mary, The Old Engine Inn, for 25 years before he retired.

Lloyd was a top middle distance runner in the army, but today his interests outside of local politics lie in voluntary work and helping out the community.Tapping into his interest in community spirit, Lloyd also served a period as Mayor of Cinderford 10 years ago.Lloyd says that his long career has been tough and rewarding."I've given up so much for the role," he said."I thought, 'I've done enough.' Then I thought again and said, 'well, I might as well just carry on.'"

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread