Marrying at Gloucester Cathedral rather than in the FOD (General)

by Bradley Tingle, Tuesday, February 20, 2024, 15:59 (67 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you Slowhands. I haven't asked you a question for many years and am glad you are still here to help us who live from afar.

The cover of the register shows: "Marriage in Gloucester Cathedral Register from 1717 to 1812": Jany 2nd [1737/38] James Tingle of Little Dean and Mary Morgan of Newland in the Diocese of Gloucester were Married by J. Gregory. Presenter.
The index and images are on Ancestry's "All Gloucestershire England Church of England BMBs 1538-1813".

It was the Marriage Licence Allegation that gave me the detail of his age and marital status and that Mary was a widow of Yorkley in the parish of Newland. The witness was John Jason a Goldsmith of the City of Gloucester who was bound with the groom in the sum of 500 GBP. They were to marry at Newland or Gloucester Cathedral. I do not know how John Jason was connected to this couple.

I cannot find any children for James Tingle and Mary Morgan although it seems that she had children from her previous marriage. He left a will leaving land to his sibling (my ancestor) and a nephew who I believe were his freeminer partners in the Tingle's Level Mine.

Thanks for the added local history in your message. It adds to their story as did Jeff's comment. Much appreciated.

Donna

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread