Hope Foundry and Engineering Works,Bilson Alfred ElamTINGLE (General)

by Bradley Tingle, Friday, February 23, 2024, 20:07 (65 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you Slowhands. I've spent four hours today researching the foundry Tingle family.

I can take the Foundry Tingle family back to John Tingle who married Sophia HARRIS in 1828 in Flaxley. That John TINGLE died 6 January 1875 at the Gloucester County Lunatic Asylum, late of Woodside Road, Flaxley. The grand sum of 5 GBP went to his widow Sophia Tingle of Flaxley. John was an Iron Miner in 1861 and a coal miner in 1851. His age on census records would have him born 1807/08/09. I can find no baptism for him in the FOD anywhere (I also looked on Ancestry and FindmyPast and FamilySearch). I suspect the family were non-conformist.

There was a John TINGLE who applied to be a Free Miner in the FOD who stated that he was born at Little Deans Hill on 12 August 1810 and that he was residing at Little Dean's Woodside in 1838. There is a John & Sophia Tingle living at Littledean Woodside in 1841 with the correct children to match the Foundry family.

Would it be a stretch to think that the Free Miner who said he was born in 1810 be the same man who was married to Sophia HARRIS in 1828 in Flaxley? If yes, both the bride and groom would have required parental consent and that wasn't mentioned on the marriage registration (image now on Ancestry).

I have hit a brick wall at John Tingle b. abt 1808, married Sophia Harris 1828 at Flaxley and died 6 Jan 1875. So far he doesn't connect with my TINGLE family but they lived close to each other. I sure appreciate all the work that you did to take me down that avenue of research. I also appreciate the local FOD knowledge that you have. It sure helps us whose family left 150 years ago.

Donna

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread