Littledean Woodside - Joseph TINGLE of Flaxley (General)

by Bradley Tingle, Tuesday, February 27, 2024, 18:46 (60 days ago) @ Jefff

Thanks for the links, Jeff and Slowhands. I'd have had great difficulty finding the iron pit on my own. I'm amazed at all the paths and trails in the Forest.

On George Tingle's application as a Free Miner he referenced George's Folley as being the mine he was working on in 1838. I imagine with that name it didn't produce much except hard work. I hope it was closer to home than Tingle's pit seems to be.

Jeff, my sons are probably closer to your age and would have loved to explore the way you were able to in the Forest of Dean. In earlier times you left on your bike to explore and came home for supper and no one worried about you. I think they had too much else to do to be worrying about their kinds in relative safety.

I've decided, because it is unique to the Forest of Dean, that I will have an addendum to the family history that I'm writing devoted to explaining the Free Miner system and about Tingle's Level aka Tingle's pit with a snip of the map showing its location. I'm thinking in a self-published family history book that will not be sold outside the family I'm probably ok with a snip of the OS map page.

George Tingle lived at Littledean Hill. Roughly how far away would this pit have been?

Slowhands and Jeff, I can't thank you enough for helping me with this project.
Donna

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread