Lea Bailey (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Sunday, February 28, 2010, 12:20 (5161 days ago) @ maurice

Maurice

I think these are one and the same, and perhaps correctly should be referred to as the Lea Bailey Tithing. This stretched from the outskirts of what we know as Cinderford up towards Mitcheldean, and included the Lea Bailey Hill area.

As Cinderford developed and pushed out into the area around the Causeway / Dockham it " swallowed up" the lands that were in the Lea Bailey tithing.

At Cinderford, where new building was mostly on land in East Dean township, Flaxley parish, and Lea Bailey tithing, three small extraparochial places on Littledean hill remained outside the poor-law system until 1869 when they were constituted the parish of Hinder's Lane and Dockham within the Westbury union. (fn. 9) That parish disappeared in 1884 when East Dean's boundaries were extended to include most of the town. (fn. 10)

From: 'Forest of Dean: Local government and public services', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 377-381. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23269 Date accessed: 28 February 2010.

However I do agree it can be very confusing i.e. is it Lea Bailey Hill nr Hope Mansell , or Lea Bailey tithing stretching up to Cinderford.

S

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread