R Eng. 129 & 131 Forestry Coys & 220 Coy Aux Pioneers (General)

by unknown, Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 15:01 (4644 days ago)

RE Forestry Coy’s Deployed in Forest of Dean in 2nd WW

I'm currently trying to shed some light the Dean's Forestry Wartime efforts and am looking for information of any description:

I've had no difficulty finding production statistics etc.; but so far have only established the following: - Two R. Eng. Forestry Coy’s operated in Dean. - The 129th deployed here from France following evacuation through St-Malo in June 1940 and were reinforced by a newly formed 131st Coy in summer of same year. They were supported by Sections of 220 Coy Auxiliary Pioneer Corps and later by Italian POWs. Both RE Coy personnel were mostly recruited ready trained from Private Estates - Aux. P 220 Coy was made up of mostly Jewish Austrian and German Alien Volunteers who had previously been interned around the country in makeshift camps after Hitler overran France and Churchill famously said 'round the lot up' (perhaps the Forests best kept 2nd WW secret) Sawmills were established at Bowsen Green, Brierly and Cockshot, there may have been more - Bowsen was continued after the war by James Joiner.

The local social angle is the most intriguing and the one I'm most stuck on. The RE’s had a successful football club called the Woodpeckers topping both divisions of the LYDNEY AND DISTRICT HOSPITAL LEAGUE 1943-4 www.sungreen.co.uk/Broadwell - Aux.P 220 Coy had a dance band that played frequently at Broadwell Memorial Hall (anyone got the name please?) and might have had a darts team as well - may have played at the Bird in Hand; Broadwell. - The name 'Grasshoppers' has cropped up? Any ideas?

129 Coy transferred to Cirencester during Autumn 1943; and 131st Coy embarked for France in summer of 1944 probably explaining absence of Woodpeckers FC after 1943/4 success. - 220 Coy subsequently joined combat units in France and Germany. I can vaguely recall the Italian POWs being marched through Berry Hill; any connection there? At least one Section of P 220 Coy were billeted at Lydbrook - Where? etc etc..

Collectively (about 7000 altogether)the wartime Alien Auxiliary Pioneers have been described as the most intellectual Coy’s ever to have served in the British Military.
and subsequently became known as 'The King's Most Loyal Alien Enemies' There's at least two books written about them but very little info about their involvement here.

Interesting how many football clubs carry the name 'Woodpeckers' today; particularly around Kent area (Chatham is RE HQ).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Vurrister

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread