R Eng. 129 & 131 Forestry Coys & 220 Coy Aux Pioneers (General)

by maurice @, Thursday, August 18, 2011, 10:30 (4642 days ago) @ unknown

At the outbreak of WW2 I was living in Heywood Cinderford,one house from the wood.I remember the engineers starting to cut down the oak trees about 30yds from my home.A local representation was made to request leaving a belt of trees for a recreational area for the local people,this was done and felling carried on about 200yds into the wood.The trees felled were predominately oak and as you say there was a sawmills set up at Bowson.Most of the area was denuded of trees except for Teringham hein and a patch of chestnut trees between Fairplay and Walls cottage,these were too young for felling.
When the Americans came into the war,they took over the tree felling and more latterly the Italian POWs were put to work there.The POWs were a friendly bunch and many who were working on local farms in the Westbury on Severn remained here after the war and still live here.
The belt of oak trees I referred to are still in Heywood and I spent many hours playing there as a boy.When asked by my children and grandchildren where were your play areas,I always replied "anywhere between Heywood and Fairplay" quite a large area.We did not need material objects when we had such a place to play.
This brought back many pleasant memories.
Maurice

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread