Frederick Edward JONES 1856 Churcham - Photographer (General)

by nigeldownunder @, Australia, Sunday, March 23, 2014, 11:18 (3695 days ago) @ slowhands

Frederick Nathaniel Jones was married to one of the two daughters of Timothy Jones Vaughan (1847-1940) - my GG Grandfather, who was born in Staunton and buried in Christchurch. He (FNJ) married Fanny Matilda Vaughan in Brentford Middlesex in 1890. Although FN Jones was born in Glasgow in 1861, he did not remain there long. 1871 finds him in Bristol with his widowed Mother, and in 1881 he's still there, already practicing his profession as a photographer. After marrying Fanny Matilda, the family moved around quite a bit - London, Bradford, Richmond - finally returning to Fanny's roots in Coleford around 1905. Their youngest daughter Clarice was born there in 1907.
I have some photos from his studio showing 8 Gloucester Road, and 12 Gloucester Road. The Rising Generation photo on http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Coleford-Glos/Rising_Generation.html is from my collection.
I've just uploaded to this site a 1939 newspaper cutting from my Mother's scrapbooks, probably(?) from the Dean Forest Guardian, reporting the 5 generations of Timothy Jones Vaughan which might be interesting to some.
It seems that one of Frederick Nathaniel's daughters married a G Wilks (according to the 5 Generations), who may have been a police constable in Lydney. I've found a possible marriage on FreeBMD between an Eileen AV Jones and a George Frederick Wilks (Monmouth 11a 52) in Q1 1914, but I can't definitely place her as FNJ's daughter. This marriage doesn't show up on the FOD Parish records, although I would have thought that it would if the family was based in Coleford. Neither can I find the marriage in the parish records available on www.FindMyPast.co.uk.
I have no problem with the other 4 Generations described in the article - I would have been the 5th, but I wasn't around in 1939!!
I'm not aware of any family relationship between Frederick Nathaniel Jones and Frederick Edward Jones.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread