Churches & chapels in the Forest (and close by) (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, December 05, 2016, 20:10 (2698 days ago) @ slowhands

I'm unsure as to whether this list is still being maintained..., but will add the following for reference.

Further to a recent enquiry as to Non Conformism in the Dymock area, searching the BNA website gave this article from the Hereford Times of Saturday 10 October 1857

DYMOCK. Chapel Opening.
On Friday last a public tea meeting was held in the Bible Christian Chapel, which has been rebuilt and considerably enlarged for the accommodation of attendants, when above 200 persons from Hereford, Cheltenham, Ledbury, and the neighbourhood of Dymock, sat down together and partook of the bounties of a kind and gracious Providence. Immediately after tea a public meeting was held, and addresses given by the Revds W.D.Wonnacott (Minister of the Chapel); J.Wall (Baptist), Ledbury; H. Birch (Independent), Ledbury; F. W. Bourne, (Bible Christian), Swansea ; aud J. Hall, (Baptist), Gorsley. About 8 o'clock the meeting was brought to a close, and parties retired much gratified with the proceedings of the day. On Sunday three impressive sermons were delivered, in the morning and night F.W. Bourne, and at half-past by J. Wall. Notwithstanding the weather being unfavourable the congregations were good and collections liberal. Raised at the opening by collections, subscriptions, &c, £33.

I don't think this is the same as the Baptist Chapel in Dymock that Slowhands listed. Apparently Bible Christians were of Methodist denomination, founded by a Wesley Methodist preacher in North Cornwall/Devon c1815. I wonder if they are linked with this group, especially given the timing ?

"In 1855 a Primitive Methodist mission to Gloucester was established with the help of preachers from Stroud. It covered a large area, including until 1874 Cheltenham, and from 1875 looked after chapels at Broom's Green in Dymock and at Lowbands in Redmarley D'Abitot (Worcs., later Glos.)."

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol4/pp319-334

At nearby Kempley the Bethel Chapel was built in 1856, it appears to have been Baptist. More details here
http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/GLS735.php

----

The article also shows there was a Baptist Chapel at nearby Gorsley. Also Baptists and Independents at the nearby market-town of Ledbury, which is of course just outside the Forest of Dean area and so the remit of the original listing.

-------------

Searching the BNA for "Kempley Chapel" gave more articles suggesting another Chapel might be added to the list;

"Anniversary Services of the Baptist Chapel, Kempley on Sunday.... Sermon by Mr Thos Nicholson of Gloucester..... On Monday addresses by Rev John Hall of Gorsley(who presided), Rev George Howe of Ross, Rev H. Phillips, of Longhope, Mr Nicholson and Mr W Pontiflex."

Gloucester Journal - Saturday 18 September 1869

An article of 20th April 1912 named the Rev. S. Cox as Pastor at the Baptist Chapel Kempley.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread