James Thomas and Ann J Merriman (Parish Records)

by Debbielakin, Sunday, October 01, 2017, 07:59 (2393 days ago) @ Debbielakin

Some time ago I posted on this site that I was trying to trace my FOD family and you lovely people gave me loads of help and advice and tips etc from which helped me so much so thank you all very much. I've found out so much about my family. James Thomas and Ann Jane Merriman are my 2x great grandparents and came from the forest.When i first started to research i knew very little apart from that my Grandad their grandson came from Yorkshire. What a voyage of discovery ive been on. I've had 2 week long trips to Yorkshire and found James and Ann J. I laid flowers on their grave in Haworth where they had moved to and ended their days. I also discovered that James family was not who I had originally thought. After purchasing their marriage certificate it told me that Jame's father was a James Thomas occupation Collier not Samuel Thomas who I had previously thought ! So which James Thomas is this? I need to find out if I can. So in order to progress and to get the feel of the forest I've planned a visit from our home in West sussex. We are coming in November and have found a barn conversion to stay in for the week. As far as I know now that my James Thomas was born in East Dean and baptised in the parish church in Blakeney. His father James thomas was a Collier and was born in newland Monmouthshire Wales which confuses me. Was this still part of the FOD? And I think his mother was a Mary Ann Halford.she was born in Blakeney. I'm not too sure that I'm definitely on the right path. Would appreciate any help. When I'm in the forest where's the best place to find out about the history. Any suggestions of places I could visit would be greatly appreciated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread