WW1 Servicemen Records (HIBLE) (General)

by VINEY HILL MINER, Friday, November 09, 2018, 01:16 (1994 days ago) @ MPGriffiths

Hi All

Tom Hible was one of my great uncles.

He enlisted with the 3rd ( Service ) Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment on 28th May before moving to the 6th ( Service ) Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment in October 1915 and the Labour Corps in 1917.

Its highly likely he was amongst the troops from the 6th ( Service ) Battalion who arrived to Gallipoli on the 21st November to replace the losses suffered by the Battalion after the landings at Suvla Bay on the 6th August : before being evacuated to Imbros on the 19th / 20th December 1915.

The 6th Battalion stayed in Imbros/ Lendros in January before sailing to Egypt where they arrived on the 2nd February. They spent the next few months protecting the Suez Canal before moving to France in July 1916.

The 6th Battalion had their first spell of duty in the trenches at Danville on the 16th July. They subsequently saw action at Martinsart, Authuille and Flers Courcellete in the Battles of the Somme ( Note this later action saw the first massed use of tanks as an offensive weapon).

Tom was injured on the 26th September and initially taken to No3 Casualty Clearing station at Puchevillers before being transferred to Lincoln Hospital where he had an operation on his knee at the beginning of October 1916.

After discharge from hospital his was posted to the 91st Training Reserve Battalion, before being transferred to the Labour Corps in April 1917. He stayed in the UK until the end of the war and was demobilised in February 1919.

He returned to work as a miner in South Yorkshire and remained there until his death in 1971.

Primary sources of information- conversations with my Father/ family records.

Secondary sources : summary battalion war diaries accessed at York and Lancaster Regiment museum in Rotherham , Ancestry , Find My Past , Forces War Records, The Long Long Trail , National Archives , IWM and National Library of Scotland British Trench map websites.

also " Battalions at War " book by John Dillon and " No Labour No Battle " book by John Sailing and Ivor Lee. plus articles in Sheffield Telegraph in October 1916 and February 1919.

Regards

Ian

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread