Wintles of Mitcheldean 1800s and before (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, January 26, 2019, 18:01 (1910 days ago) @ zahra

Please could you tell me if my mothers brother Francis b 1937 is still alive and what are his 3 children's names.

Zahra

Hi Zahra,
on the assumption you know Francis's surname (I've read back thro this thread but don't think it's been mentioned for sure), and IF he then married and you know his wife's maiden name, then you may be able to find their children's names using FreeBMD which offers good coverage within our area. Knowing the dates then GlosBMD may give further detail if the events were within Gloucestershire.

The FreeBMD website is fussy insofar as all names input for searching must be spelt exactly as per the website's database, it won't give near-misses like GlosBMD does, but it it still very helpful in other ways.

For example, I can search for all Birth registrations of people first name "Francis" between say 1936 and 1938. This gives over 6000 results, too many for the site to display; but if we now filter them to just include those births registered in Gloucestershire we get a more managable list to browse through. Because the results are all post 1911, each includes the mother's maiden name. This list includes a huge variety of surnames, most of which are clearly not relevant, but hopefully something springs out, I'm thinking it may be Wintle, or Davis etc.

By screen-searching the results for "Wintle", as a first guess, I found the following results which I suspect are relevant.

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse/Age District Vol Page
Births Mar 1937
Hansell Francis Wintle Cheltenham 6a 603
Zabra-Hansell Francis Wintle Cheltenham 6a 603

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Apologies if wrong, but it seems reasonable to suspect these are one and the same person, and your Francis.

This record shows the Birth was registered (so not necessarily occurred) sometime during the Jan/Feb/March Quarter of 1937, to get more a more precise date one needs to order the Birth Ceritifate.

If I now search this record on GlosBMD, it gives the following record. This suggests the birth actually occurred in 1936. We often seen records like this, suggesting the birth was in late 1936, probably December, so not surprisingly given the busy time of year and possible wintery weather etc, the birth wasn't actually registered by a family member until sometime into the New Year, aka the "Jan/Feb/Mar" Quarter.
This record also confirms it's one and the same person/event

Birth Details
Child Surname Child Forename Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
ZAHRA-HANSELL Francis WINTLE 1936 Cheltenham Cheltenham, Cheltenham 66A 473
HANSELL Francis WINTLE 1936 Cheltenham Cheltenham, Cheltenham 66A 473

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/SimpleSearch.aspx

Thus-far I've been unable to find a Marriage record for Francis, hence cannot find any birth records for his children. However it's likely they may still be found within the FreeBMD site - perhaps the unusual surname, with it's likelihood of mis-spelt records, is a contributor, but hopefully methodical & patient searching will give results.

That said, a general internet search of this name does give the following entry. I'm not a subscribed member so cannot give you any more specific information, even if this FoDFH forum allowed me to do so.

Francis Zahra-Hansell in Hereford, HR3
Based on 2010, 2014-18 Electoral Roll
Street address available
Hereford
Hereford And Worcester
HR3
Full postcode available
Together with:
Caryl M Zahra-Hansell

etc, see
https://www.192.com/atoz/people/zahra-hansell/francis/

I hope this is of some help to you.

Finally, please be reminded this FoDFH forum is NOT intended for finding "living relatives". Please see http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=10668
I do hope my post is acceptable in this respect, as an attempt to show beginners how useful the various online sites can be for researching C20th records as well as earlier ones.
In this respect I am pleased Zahra and Gabriella have already indicated they'll continue this discussion away from the forum using the private e-mail system.

Good luck to you both,
J

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread