Hilda Blanch HOWELLS 1896 (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 20:19 (1871 days ago) @ Rob Howells

This is an old thread and the user’s account no longer exists. This does not mean that he/she cannot read your post but that may be unlikely to happen.

This article is almost certainly related,

BNA Gloucestershire Echo - Friday 01 January 1915
A DENIAL.
TO THE EDITOR OF THE “ECHO”.

Sir.—With reference to the case reported at Coleford Police court in the “Echo” of the 31st ultimo, I beg to state that the defendant (Hector Gordon Meek) is not a student in Cheltenham Training College, nor has he ever been in the College.
H. A. BREN (Principal).
Cheltenham Training College,
Jan. Ist. 1915.

The implication is that the original article was published in the Gloucestershire Echo on 31st December 1914 but I cannot see it. This may be because the image for that day was of an Echo Extra and maybe not the main paper.

There is also this article which could refer to the same Hector MEEK,

BNA Western Mail - Friday 11 July 1930
SCENE IN LORDS.
Court Story of Man With Grievance.

Hector Meek (39), described as a schoolmaster, appeared on remand at Bow-street Police-court on Thursday charged with wilfully breaking a pane of glass in the Peers' entrance to the House of Lords. It is alleged that Meek approached a constable, and after pointing to the window and asking " Is there anybody in there?" deliberately pushed an attaché case through it, saying, " This is for liberty and justice." Meek, at the previous hearing, told Sir Chartres Biron, the magistrate, that he had been undergoing an injustice for a considerable time. He had attempted to get to the Lords through the legal profession but had been foiled on many occasions. Sir Chartres, after reading a report, discharged Meek without taking any further evidence.

(Other reports of the same incident give his full name as Hector Gordon MEEK.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread